Are supermarket pasta pots better choices vs a sandwich?

Options
I try and eat well where I can and often due to the fact I'm on the road so often - I stop off and grab a sandwich.

Recently I have switched to getting a simple tomato and basil pasta pot from tesco or asda. Despite being 70g of carbs as opposed to sandwich with 40g of carbs - is the pasta pot better or a sandwich on malted bread? I also note that pasta pots contain 10-15 grams of sugar whereas most sandwiches I choose are 5g or less??

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Better for what?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Unless you have any real medical issues that forces you to limit carbs (including sugar, which is a carb), I would suggest you consider 1) the calories and 2) the overall nutrition, and not just for those two items, but for the whole day. If pretty equal, choose the item you like best. Variety is good, so if you like both, alternate them.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Depends what your aiming for, the sandwich iniatally seems better but if youre buying it often then can become boring - calories in v calories out for weight loss, check your weekly macros if carbs/sugar is your concern.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What does the rest of your day look like? What food would you prefer to eat? Do you have any medical conditions that would cause you to limit carbs?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When I look at food choices I am looking at calories and protein first and then other nutrients. How does that food help me meet my goals that day? Will it fill me up?
    Another consideration is which food I like better. I eat sandwiches sometimes and sometimes I eat pasta. They are both fine.

I don't really worry about carbs/sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters. Go for what will fill you up more for the calories (usually pasta for me).
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I find the pasta pots are pretty nasty, so no not better for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Better for what?

This was the first thought that went through my mind when seeing the question.
  • katieroebuck6287
    Options
    I tend to get sushi in that situation
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd look at things you have not mentioned, like total calories, vegetable content, and protein content in deciding for myself. I'd also consider if it would be satisfying for me.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own, both a homemade pasta pot or a sandwich would taste so much better and you can dictate the content. If I had to buy either would probably go for a sandwich.