How to track calories if you made a large dinner but only ate a serving

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to MyFitnessPal and I was curious as to how you can track calories if you make a large dinner for a family but only eat your portion. For example I made a zucchini soup the other night which called for 2 large zucchinis, a can of light coconut milk, 4 cups of broth, 2 medium potatoes, 2 onions, a tablespoon of curry powder, and a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric but I only ate a bowl for dinner. How do I log that into my tracker? Is there some way to add a full meal and then put in how much you ate?

Replies

• Afitbeginning
    Afitbeginning Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I divide it into servings. So if I make a meal to serve four, I'll divide the calories on the ingredients by four and use that as my guide. I'm not sure if that's how others do it, I suppose you could add up how many calories the whole meal came too and then divide that by four as well.

Good luck! x
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you can use the recipe builder on MFP - input all the ingredients and have it calculator the calories

if you do this - my recommendation is to weigh the overall final product and set the number of servings to either g/oz of the final weight (so if its 20oz, then log the recipe as 20 servings) - then 1 serving is an oz and you can easily add to your diary
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is a great tool. If you're doing any of your own cooking you really should be using it. It can be a little tricky at first but once you use it a couple times it is really easy and helpful.
  • sonia_lenar
    sonia_lenar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to do it! Thank you all who helped! This is going to make life so much easier
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Count all the calories as you add ingredients. Weigh the finished product (subtracting the weight of the pan). Set 1 serving = 1 gram. Weigh your own serving. Say it's 10 grams, you would enter 10 servings to get the right number of calories.