How do you stay patient?

Options
2»

Replies

• Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the opposite... to me, 1 or 2 lbs per week is GREAT progress! I've lost 4.2 lbs so far, over almost a month, and I can already fit better into my jeans and shorts. That's incredible!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It has taken me longer to lose 22lb this time around than it did to lose over 80lb the first time I lost the weight. My patience has definitely been tested. How I've dealt with it is by finding other measurable goals and accomplishments to track so when the scale doesn't move I still see progress.

Measurements, body fat %, strength gains, being able to run longer without feeling like I'm dying, old clothes fitting again - the last few months I only dropped 2-3lb but saw progress in all of these areas. I still want to lose a few more pounds but as long as I keep progressing towards better health and fitness I don't care how long that takes anymore
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Work on your fitness. The incremental improvements are far more dramatic than the weight loss youll see in the mirror or on the scales. As you lose weight you will FEEL better and more capable, if that doesnt help you to enjoy the journey then im lost.

If life is a journey then death is the end of it... enjoy the journey and stop thinking about the end
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be healthy, not (just) thin. Losing too fast risks health, so why would I do it? I want the best odds possible of keeping my muscle mass and strength, the integrity of my bones, energy to enjoy life, and more. Fast loss creates risk in all those areas.

If, unlike me, your goals are appearance oriented, consider that fast loss risks thinning, lackluster hair; brittle, breaking nails; sallow complexion; a lack of attractive vivacity; a "skinny fat" rather than "toned looking" future; and more.

Weight loss is practice for weight maintenance, a time to learn how to move and eat forever in order to stay at a healthy weight for life. Why waste that learning opportunity by doing something extreme for fast loss?

You mention restricting now feeling easy. That's great! It should make the process easier. Did you realize that another risk of fast loss is a higher degree of "adaptive thermogenesis", something that could mean you'd need to eat substantially less long term to maintain your goal weight compared to someone who's always been that weight?

I've been on MFP for over 2 years now, while losing about a third of my body weight in just less than a year, down to a healthy weight, which I've maintained for about a year and a half.

It's not a universal truth, but it seems to me that the people who are most likely to succeed here with weight loss and then maintenance are those who take a consistent, moderate approach, and stick to it the overwhelming majority of the time. I've seen quite a few people come out of the gate at a gallop, restricting severely, losing fast . . . then stumble, over-eat, feel guilty, maybe get in binge/restrict cycles, maybe give up and regain some pounds, etc. They sometimes do reach goal . . . but no faster than the moderate people overall, and with more guilt, stress and unhappiness along the way. Isn't true for all, of course, but pretty common.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What is the alternative to staying patient? Giving up and staying overweight and risking my health? Or using unhealthy quick fix methods that come with their own set of problems?
    I have a healthy goal and game plan and it comes with a time line. I am progressing exactly as I should. I can't make it go any faster so I just keeping doing the next thing right.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^As always wise words from @AnnPT77 ..
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    I think about how I would feel now if I hadn't started when I did.

Don't stress about a goal taking a long time to achieve - the time will pass anyway. What matters is what you've achieved during it.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I like Earl Nightingales quote, "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyways."

The time will pass no matter what path you chose to follow or fall off of. Might as well chose to use that time to improve upon you.