Still Counting Calories? Your Weight-Loss Plan May Be Outdat

Options
Jane Brody used to say "eat less, exercise more". She is changing her tune.

Just an interesting article. Some more "food for thought" as I like to say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3

The ones I don't agree with are red meat and butter. I eat a lot of both and it doesn't affect my weight. And as far as yogurt goes - some of them have as much sugar a two bowls of sugary cereal. And even though whole grains don't affect the metabolism I do believe that if you are obese they can still have an affect on blood sugar and insulin (and most of the time - with obesity - there is an insulin resistance issue. I apply this to fruit also).

And once again, not everyone will agree with this but I like to try and put all information out there so the individual can decide on how to apply it to his/her life.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Best line in the article

“What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Best line in the article

“What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

I agree!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, they are just a measurement, what counts is the nutrients that come with them.

I can eat like crap and stay under my calorie goal (which I believe is the point of the article), but the weight won't come off becaucse the nutrients that come with them are garbage processed stuff.
  • trubeauty
    Options
    Thanks for the article. As always I take any research published for public consumption with a grain of salt. Yet I agree that eating poorly is why I may not lose weight and even catch a cold, when starting an exercise diet program. Missing nutrients and under-consuming leads to bad health. And what's the point of being skinny and still unhealthy?!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a 20-40% calorie deficit under your TDEE, and you hit your macronutrients each and every day, it doesn't matter if you are eating a tree...the weight will come off at a rate of 1-2lbs per week.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    I agree with this- empty calories dont do anything for your body. I'm working on decreasing processed foods and increasing more natural foods in my house right now. I'm just sneaking it in in little bits so my fam doesn't notice too much! That being said, this was my favorite line out of the article:

"Alcohol intake had an interesting relationship to weight changes. No significant effect was found among those who increased their intake to one glass of wine a day, but increases in other forms of alcohol were likely to bring added pounds."

My hubby said there was no way that my nightly glass of wine was helping my "lifestyle change" (I don't like the word "diet").... It may not help but at least it's not hurting!! I can't wait to show this to him... ;-)
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a 20-40% calorie deficit under your TDEE, and you hit your macronutrients each and every day, it doesn't matter if you are eating a tree...the weight will come off at a rate of 1-2lbs per week.

what is TDEE?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    "It’s also no secret that the long-recommended advice to eat less and exercise more has done little to curb the inexorable rise in weight."

Just because that's the advice, it doesn't mean people are taking it - I'm just sayin.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

what is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure = Basal Metabolic Rate PLUS all your daily activities and exercise.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with this- empty calories dont do anything for your body. I'm working on decreasing processed foods and increasing more natural foods in my house right now. I'm just sneaking it in in little bits so my fam doesn't notice too much! That being said, this was my favorite line out of the article:

"Alcohol intake had an interesting relationship to weight changes. No significant effect was found among those who increased their intake to one glass of wine a day, but increases in other forms of alcohol were likely to bring added pounds."

My hubby said there was no way that my nightly glass of wine was helping my "lifestyle change" (I don't like the word "diet").... It may not help but at least it's not hurting!! I can't wait to show this to him... ;-)

I think that wine is the one alcoholic beverage that has some health benefits when taken in moderation. I wish I liked it. But plan on getting to some wine tastings to see if I can find one that I like.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options

I think that wine is the one alcoholic beverage that has some health benefits when taken in moderation. I wish I liked it. But plan on getting to some wine tastings to see if I can find one that I like.

Going to wine tastings is a great idea- grab a few pals and make a day of it. Definately counts as a mental health day in my book!!
  • RangerSteve
    Options

^^^^^^

What he said.

That article is garbage for numerous reasons. First of all, it's completely about CORRELATION instead of CAUSATION. Plenty of people on MFP need to learn the difference between the two before they agree/disagree with things in the future.

Hmmm, french fries led the list of weight gain? Could that possibly be because of the lifestyle associated with people who more often eat french fries compared to those who don't? Think about it. Who eats french fries the most? People who are active, healthy and cook most of their own meals or people who are lazy, just had a night of binge drinking and then head off to McDonalds to put down a large fries + coke? Is it the actual french fries causing the weight gain or the lifestyle associated with it?

Another article that steers people in the wrong direction. No surprise there.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

^^^^^^

What he said.

That article is garbage for numerous reasons. First of all, it's completely about CORRELATION instead of CAUSATION. Plenty of people on MFP need to learn the difference between the two before they agree/disagree with things in the future.

Hmmm, french fries led the list of weight gain? Could that possibly be because of the lifestyle associated with people who more often eat french fries compared to those who don't? Think about it. Who eats french fries the most? People who are active, healthy and cook most of their own meals or people who are lazy, just had a night of binge drinking and then head off to McDonalds to put down a large fries + coke? Is it the actual french fries causing the weight gain or the lifestyle associated with it?

^^ This. Well said.

Associating french fries with weight gain = The person sat their *kitten* on the couch all day, ate a tub of fries, and then wrote an article about it.
  • veggiepug
    Options
    I'm in the camp of a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Can you lose weight eating Taco Bell everyday, while still maintaining a caloric deficiet? You bet. Is it a healthy and sustainable way of eating? Nope.

I've lost weight in the past eating garbage (frozen meals, fast food, etc) as my main source of calories. The reason why it didn't stick was because I was eating lower quantities of food than if I had been eating whole foods, so I was hungry all of the time. I think the point of fueling your body with more nutritious foods is so that you are getting all of your proper nutrients, and it allows you to stay satisfied, longer. Therefore, you're more likely to stick with this way of eating.
  • veggiepug
    Options

^^^^^^

What he said.

THANK YOU! I have a degree in Sociology and if I learned anything from college, it was that correlation =/= causation.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    Could that possibly be because of the lifestyle associated with people who more often eat french fries compared to those who don't?

THIS! it's like those commercial that says "studies show people who incorporate more whole grains into their diet on weigh less than people who don't" well obviously...odds are people who care to be sure to eat whole grain care to eat better in general!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    These kinds of self-reported studies with very little control do not add much to the scientific community. In fact, they just set us back as they are the favorite type of studies for voo-doo scientists like Taubes who can make outlandish claims like insulin playing a larger role in weight loss than calories.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    With all respect to those involved in this "study", it's one of the worst bits of health advice I've read in a while.

#1- What you eat does not matter as how much you eat for weight loss. It may be better for overall health to eat healthier foods but it's calories in vs calories out for weight loss. Chances are that simply reducing calories will cause you to lose weight.

#2- "those that eat french fries gained x" . OMFG, I don't even know where to start with that utterly stupid quote. NO ****E YOU"LL gain weight eating french fries. A typical larg french fries has 500-600 calories, common sense would be that if you eat french fries instead of broccoli as a side that you are probably eating 450 MORE CALORIES.

#3- So what you eat matters more? Aheemm......these so called professionals apparently have not heard of the law of physics.

Just eat good foods and exercise? Good luck with that, if you don't control portions (calories) you'll gain weight, period.

Sure there are some methods to use to reduce calories without counting (Splting a plate into quarters and fill half (two quarters) with veggies and fruit, 1/4 with a protein, 1/4 grains/dairy) but you are still counting calories in a round about way.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    All articles are to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, my research and my personal experience have shown me otherwise.

First 6 months: counted calories but was still eating processed food, low-fat, sugar-free, etc.; weighed food; was hungry ALL THE TIME. Exercised ALL THE TIME. Lost 9.6lbs (went from 130 to 120 - told at this time I have to do more strength training to continue to lose weight - have to increase my muscle mass)
    End of April: decided to drop carbs, stop counting calories and watch carb and protein grams; started eating cleaner; only get carbs through vegetables, nuts, and seeds and the occasional berry. Eat lots of meat and fat and I don't count fat grams. Cut back on exercise - do some basic strength moves once a week - about 20-30 minutes, I do a 20 minute sprint interval once in a while. In 6 weeks I dropped another 6.8lbs. I now stay full for 5-6 hours after eating. I eat when I'm hungry. I drink when I'm thirsty. I am eating more calories than I was those first six months. It was during this stage that I lost all the inches off my belly and hips. It was during this stage that I started seeing some serious muscle definition. It was during this stage that my energy levels increased, all my digestive issues went away. My eczema is gone, my hiatal hernia is gone. I sleep better. The extra weight loss without even trying was just a bonus. I no longer have to worry about portions and my weight is holding steady.

I don't care how many studies out there say that a calorie is a calorie or that it's all about calories in/calories out. Those studies tell me the exact same thing this one does.

Yes for me N=1 and that is all that matters to me.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    All articles are to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, my research and my personal experience have shown me otherwise.

First 6 months: counted calories but was still eating processed food, low-fat, sugar-free, etc.; weighed food; was hungry ALL THE TIME. Exercised ALL THE TIME. Lost 9.6lbs (went from 130 to 120 - told at this time I have to do more strength training to continue to lose weight - have to increase my muscle mass)
    End of April: decided to drop carbs, stop counting calories and watch carb and protein grams; started eating cleaner; only get carbs through vegetables, nuts, and seeds and the occasional berry. Eat lots of meat and fat and I don't count fat grams. Cut back on exercise - do some basic strength moves once a week - about 20-30 minutes, I do a 20 minute sprint interval once in a while. In 6 weeks I dropped another 6.8lbs. I now stay full for 5-6 hours after eating. I eat when I'm hungry. I drink when I'm thirsty. I am eating more calories than I was those first six months. It was during this stage that I lost all the inches off my belly and hips. It was during this stage that I started seeing some serious muscle definition. It was during this stage that my energy levels increased, all my digestive issues went away. My eczema is gone, my hiatal hernia is gone. I sleep better. The extra weight loss without even trying was just a bonus. I no longer have to worry about portions and my weight is holding steady.

I don't care how many studies out there say that a calorie is a calorie or that it's all about calories in/calories out. Those studies tell me the exact same thing this one does.

Yes for me N=1 and that is all that matters to me.

If it's working for you, be it science or mental, it's working so keep it up.

However, the law of thermo dynamics says that calories in vs calories out is all that matters in weight loss and this principle of physics is sound.

Maybe you feel more full now eating more meat and maybe feeling less hungy results in less overages in calories and perhaps more energy so yo feel better. All these things help people stay on the program long term, but is not going against calories in vs calories out. Perhaps you could have been insulin resistant and that could be another factor and in that case less carbs and more protein would be better. Then again you are increasing your TEF as well by eating more protein.

Either way, if it's working keep at it.