Are McDonald's fries as bad as they used to be?

Options
Whilst out and about I have had two McDonalds over the last 3 days - A Grilled Chicken and Bacon wrap with fries (UK) - about 4g of Saturated Fat.

Of course there are more nutritious / healthier options with higher levels of ' good ' fats but I notice in the UK McDonalds have removed all ' added ' trans fats and cook in a '' blend of rapeseed oil and sunflower oil''.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/cooking-oil/what-oil-is-used-to-cook-your-products.html

Rarely do I eat fried food - if I do e.g. for a Bolognese it would be with Olive Oil.

My basic goal is to eat cleaner - good fats , less sugar , carbs with a lower GI where possible etc...

Are the actual fries as terrible or as detrimental to health as they used to be or compared to fries / chips from e.g. a chip shop that fries in Palm Oil?

Just interested to hear what people think.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    And get out your hard hat to be prepared for the hard rain. You mentioned "eating cleaner"; one of the more common definitions of clean eating is "no processed food", and McDonald's traditional fare is as processed as food can get...
  • Davidaw86
    Davidaw86 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy almost anywhere. You just have to look at the nutrition facts to make sure you're getting the right things.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    The removal of trans fats is great but rapeseed and sunflower oils are omega 6 which most people eat way too much of compared to omega 3

Olive oil is a good fat