Lost my motivation since the kids were born! Eeek!

Options
Has anyone else hit the wall since kids came alone? Before our first I was rutine everyday, workouts, food, etc now I can't remember the last time I went to the gym. Plus if I do I feel bad leaving the two boys with my wife while I go. How have others tackled this life change?

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Go when your kids are normally sleeping. Early morning, late at night. That way you're now "sticking" your wife with the kids (do be willing to let her go on the other end when the kids are asleep, if she wants to).

Meal prep actually helps life with kids - then you're not left trying to come up with meals when you're tired, distracted, etc.

I don't know how involved you were with meal prep, etc before he kids came along, but you'll need to be all hands on deck now. You can do it, but it takes some consentrated effort, which builds habits, which are easier to fall back on than motivation.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Has anyone else hit the wall since kids came alone? Before our first I was rutine everyday, workouts, food, etc now I can't remember the last time I went to the gym. Plus if I do I feel bad leaving the two boys with my wife while I go. How have others tackled this life change?

Join a gym that has a child care area? The YMCA offers child care in mornings and evenings where I live. That way you can take the children with you while you work out and your wife gets a break. If you do work out then tell your wife she can have an hour or two on those days to herself when you get back and she gets to do something for her as well. Hope it works out!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to 3 kids, I really have to make the time to workout. I have a gym close with childcare my kids LOVE to go to and play so that helps. I also workout at home when they are in bed for the night, or you could early in the morning. Cooking wise, I cook 3 meals and week and eat leftovers on the other days or make a sandwich or heat up a frozen meal.
  • CaloricCountess
    CaloricCountess Posts: 202 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    How about playing, with your children: lift them as weights, bike riding, indoor rock climbing, swimming, tag, baseball, soccer, etc.?
  • jenniferbloomfield967
    Options
    Go when kids are sleeping OR not sure old your kiddos are but make the gym a family time. Drop the kids st the gym daycare and workout with the wife. I always get a little jealous when I see those couples because I think it's be awesome to have. If your kids are newborn or couple of moths old it takes time to adjust and nothing will. E the same if you're operating on lack of sleep. Just sleep when you can and do what you can when you can
  • Davidaw86
    Davidaw86 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the always the best solution for all households, but could you buy a couple of weights and have a spot you can keep them? That way, even if you can't get to the gym, you are still able to work out a bit at home.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Tough. When the kids are sleeping might be the time you and your wife need to spend together, even if it's just watching TV or movies. I think it would be awkward for you to make an escape to the gym as soon as kids fall asleep, leaving your wife alone. I like the idea (if you can afford it) of purchasing some weights or fitness equipment for home.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Man I've been there. Took a 10 year break after mom, brother, dad and grandmother passed away. Not at same time but during a 5 year stretch... One thing after another happened. I lost all motivation. I started back a year ago and couldn't be better. If I can do it, I know anyone could! Just stick with it!