Weight loss while breastfeeding

Options
Any help with weight loss while breastfeeeding? I have a 3 month old baby, exclusively breastfeed, and have 50 lbs to lose.

I am currently eating around 1800 calories a day, but don't want to dip too low and compromise my milk supply. I'll likely continue to breastfeed him until he's 2, so I can't wait til then to diet!

Replies

• Mamatano
    Mamatano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For most people weight comes off automatically as they breastfeed. As a mother of 5 I wouldnt advise you to cut your food too much becaue you need nutrician to produce breast milk. However do not eat for 2! Just eat healthy and avoid junk and sugary food.
  • 4gig
    4gig Posts: 22 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm not an expert and you may want to ask a doctor or lactation consultant but I would suggest finding out what your total daily energy expenditure (tdee) is roughly on a calculator like https://tdeecalculator.net and base you calories near what it says since it doesn't take into consideration the extra 500 calories you burn while breastfeeding and see if you start making progress. If you're not losing there start cutting back further slowing till you do but keep your weight loss goal reasonable about 1 lb a week so you don't risk your milk supply.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I breastfed til past 2 with my youngest and lost weight: I found what worked easiest at the start was setting my mfp calories at maintenance and letting the bf be my deficit.
    When weighloss slowed/stalled down the track, I lowered calories gradually.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I breastfed til past 2 with my youngest and lost weight: I found what worked easiest at the start was setting my mfp calories at maintenance and letting the bf be my deficit.
    When weighloss slowed/stalled down the track, I lowered calories gradually.

This and...
    Drink lots of water and increase veggie intake to ensure that you are getting enough vitamins. I am still breast feeding. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I also reduced junk food and refined sugars.
  • carolinaf6
    carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If I only ate healthy food I wouldn't lose! I breastfed twins already for two years and tried that...And didn't lose. I need to be watching calories. I could definitely set my calories to maintain and go from there. Thanks everyone!!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I lost weight like crazy with both kiddos, I BF until age 1. That was pre-MFP and I used WW at the time. WW gave you extra points for BF, I agree with setting to maintenance and letting the BF be your deficit at least to start.

I had always heard it burns around 500 cals per day before they start solids. So that makes sense that maintenance cals would still be you a 500-ish calorie deficit so you can lose at a reasonable rate without jeopardizing supply.

Keep a close eye on your supply and contact your lactation consultant if you run into issues or problems!