Anyone here homeschool?

Options
GlassAngyl
GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
edited September 2017 in Chit-Chat
What ages or grade levels? I made a list of a bunch of free homeschool sites and useful sites for homeschooling (such as graphing calculators, citation machine, and free word document sites) and separated them by grade level and subject.

If anyone has any sites they would like to share for free or very low cost that I can add to my list, that would be AWESOME. This is what I have so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5snmm1hrtytg2x/Free Curriculum1.docx?dl=0

Oh, and I made all the links clickable!

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Mine are teens and my nephew is in the 3rd grade. My oldest is graduated.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My homeschooled dd is 17.
    I don't have a bunch of links handy right now but here are a few things we have used
    Duolingo
    You Tube- Brain Scoop, art lessons, music appreciation, exercise, animal care, cooking, etc
    Podcasts- stuff you missed in history class, caustic soda, myths and legends, levar burton reads
    Librivox- audio books
    Khan Academy
    Open Culture
    Internet Archive, Open Library
    http://www.abookintime.com
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    may I ask why home school? What is wrong with your local public school?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To add to what might be wrong with public schools
    Public schools are targets. School shootings are a risk some parents may not want to take. They may want their child to grow up in a safer environment. I have not heard of homeschool related shooting sprees.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    Pro's of homeschooling?
    .Interest led education
    .Focus on passions instead of filling their minds with useless information
    .Higher self-esteems; don't know the word "can't"
    .Schooling is on going/ year round.
    .I can school them at the park, zoo, beach, amusement park.. Everything is a lesson!
    .We can drop everything and go. Vacations can happen at any time
    .Safer environment
    .No sex, drugs, alcohol, or fights
    .They get socialized in exceptable environments. Martial arts, ROTC, 4H, Clubs geared towards their natural gifts and talents.
    .They can school at their own pace.. So if they need more time on a subject, they get it, and if they can jump ahead of the game, they don't have to wait for the rest of the class

Cons:
    .None. They aren't locked in a tower like rapunzel. They know the world is full of wolves. Current events and history is still a subject they learn and they have to deal with people when they get part time jobs at 16 or join clubs or sports. Difference is, my kids aren't flipping people off and cussing them out. They are rolling their eyes and mumbling, "trailer trash" while walking away from the drama.
  • GlassAngyl
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My homeschooled dd is 17.
    I don't have a bunch of links handy right now but here are a few things we have used
    Duolingo
    You Tube- Brain Scoop, art lessons, music appreciation, exercise, animal care, cooking, etc
    Podcasts- stuff you missed in history class, caustic soda, myths and legends, levar burton reads
    Librivox- audio books
    Khan Academy
    Open Culture
    Internet Archive, Open Library
    http://www.abookintime.com

@Lounmoun Awesome. Thank you! Some of these I haven't heard of. Khan is on my list as well as dulingo.. I'm not a fan of dulingo, but I know many other parents love it so I listed it. I can't wait to look up these others and add them to the lists.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have several friends that homeschool and I admire them, especially my friend who is homeschooling all 4 of her kids. It's not for everyone. I know I don't have the patience to do it. We'd all be unhappy and in tears. I think we all have different strengths and I know I would be doing them a disservice by homeschooling them.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have several friends that homeschool and I admire them, especially my friend who is homeschooling all 4 of her kids. It's not for everyone. I know I don't have the patience to do it. We'd all be unhappy and in tears. I think we all have different strengths and I know I would be doing them a disservice by homeschooling them.

It isn't for everyone but it irks me that someone has the nerve to condemn homeschooling when they are clueless and uneducated to what actually goes on and how adjusted these kids can be.

I frankly think my sister in law SHOULD have sent her son to public school.. for at least 5 years. She had no clue and tried to baby him and let him call all the shots. She first allowed me to school him, then unable to handle my no-nonsense, get down to business approach and hated seeing her son in constant tears because he "didn't like doing math.. Writing is too hard! I hate spelling!" She took over and tried to console and bargain with him and get him to do his work. In the end she gave him back.

It's bad when you can't stand your own child because you spoiled him to that point. He is now a year ahead of his grade level. I don't make deals with terrorist.

I can teach any subject to any child. But I am that "mean" teacher we all had in school. The one that didn't coddle the kids and allow for excuses. I'm also that mom that doesn't allow anything below an A effort. I'm here to prepare them for a future. They will thank me later.. and my son has. He has Aspergers. I didn't put up with THAT either. No excuse for bratty behavior.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I've been homeschooled, Christian schooled, and public schooled ...I turned out great!

well.........
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I've been homeschooled, Christian schooled, and public schooled ...I turned out great!

well.........

GREAT I SAY

alright, okay.... this education of yours, did you learn how to send PMs ?

with attachments
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old (7/8th grader) is homeschooling this year. One of the resources we use is this awesome free nutrition tracker called myfitnesspal.com :wink:
  • Motorsheen
    Options

well.........

GREAT I SAY

alright, okay.... this education of yours, did you learn how to send PMs ?

with attachments

What's a PM

drat.