I am thinking of finally using my blender, need some recommendations on food...

Options
I heard that blending is much healthier than juicing.

Does anyone know any good healthy recipes to keep my fully longer? Yes, I am wanting to lose a lot of weight!!!

I hate eating veg, so I hope to incorporate them in the blender too.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you don't like veggies such as spinach and kale putting them in a blender will not help. I've tried. In a way, it's harder to drink the greens than just to eat them in a salad.
    The reason blending is healthier than juicing is b/c you get the fiber in the greens. In a cheap blender that fiber will not dissolve. You would need a ninja, vitamix, or similar.
    A recipe would be some greens, 1/2 cup of fruit, 4 ounces of juice, the rest water.
  • JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Most every morning I blend up a cup of cow or almond milk with two cups of spinach, a cup of frozen fruit and a double serving of protein powder. (I also add a raw egg, and a serving of benefiber, but that's maybe the 2.0 version.).
    Totally recommend. It's sweet, tastes of the fruit and the protein powder and I have half my fruit and vegetable goals met in a single meal that I like. The protein powder keeps me satisfied until lunch. You can play around with the greens, swap in different combinations of fruit and protein powder flavors. Usually for about 430 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies such as spinach and kale putting them in a blender will not help. I've tried. In a way, it's harder to drink the greens than just to eat them in a salad.
    The reason blending is healthier than juicing is b/c you get the fiber in the greens. In a cheap blender that fiber will not dissolve. You would need a ninja, vitamix, or similar.
    A recipe would be some greens, 1/2 cup of fruit, 4 ounces of juice, the rest water.

Fibre doesn't dissolve. Ninjas and vitamix are higher power blenders, but they still make smoothies, complete with fibre (perhaps smoother ones, but a smoothie nonetheless)... Juicers remove fibre, it's left in the pile of pulpy mess you're left with after youve made a juice.

OP, I don't find drinking calories keeps me feeling full for any length of time. It has about the same effect as drinking water, and the water option is at least calorie free!
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix ( ancient and very loud ) and a nutribullet as well as the blender the blender does ok with some things but the nutribullet makes a much smoother drink I use crystal light orange ( the Walmart version) and you can not even taste the cup of spinach I add an organic banana skin and all minus blossom end and stem and a bunch of fibers including chia and flax
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Your blender can also make Ice Cream.
    Welll sort of.
    A healthy version anyway.

Add two frozen sliced bananas, 1/4 cup low fat milk (any milk is fine). 1 tablespoons almond butter. Blend until smooth.
    Spoon into dish.
    Delicious. :):):D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less. You don't have to eat vegetables, but it's smart, because they are nourishing.

Are you sure you hate vegetables? Have you tried them all, prepared in every possible way, and you don't like any of them?

If you hate vegetables, smoothies is probably not going to be your thing. Green smoothies are invented to be "healthy", not to taste good.

The good thing is that a healthy diet doesn't have to taste awful. In fact, a truly healthy diet is varied and balanced and delicious.

If you eat enough, and balanced and varied, you don't have to worry - you will be well nourished, and any feelings of hunger between meals will be mild, and no matter how full you are, you will still have a hunger "in your head" - cravings - from time to time. These can safely be ignored - just eat your meals as planned. You can learn to tolerate and understand hunger and cravings. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you will have to learn both how to compose nourishing meals, and to handle not being full all the time.

Vegetables are traditionally eaten as parts of meals, often used in recipes. If would suggest picking up a cookbook, any cookbook that has ordinary recipes, and try out a few.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Blood Sugar Solution is a great book that offers some excellent filling shakes.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I really don't like spinach.

But usually in the morning I make a smoothie with 2 cups of it, some almond milk, yogurt, blueberries, whey, and half a banana.

Adding it to my Smoothie is a great way to get those nutrients because my typical diet lacks leafy vegetables and fiber.

It's far far easier for me to drink my spinach than eat it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In the Nutribullet I add Romaine Lettuce -- it tastes fine to me. Cucumbers are good too.
    Sometimes I add grated carrots or frozen berries. Also protein like hemp seed or rice protein.