Keto

Options
Ive been using myfitnesspal for awhile now. I lost a lot of weight but recently put some back on. I would love to get some advice in starting Keto. Ive read forums in several sites but i figured i would get the best answers from my myfitnesspal family.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There's been countless posts on it, so search the forum.
    Why not lose weight the same way you did it last time? :+1:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

The idea is to lose weight and keep it off - if that didn't work last time - it makes sense to use a different approach.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »

The idea is to lose weight and keep it off - if that didn't work last time - it makes sense to use a different approach.

Weight loss is not a cure. What works for maintenance is unlearning bad habits, and teaching yourself new (better) habits.

Critique your last weight loss approach.......did it teach you portion control for foods you enjoy? Did it teach you (some other examples follow): eat foods that are filling, eat more veggies, do more exercise, do less less snacking?

If an elimination diet sounds like something you can do forever.....then go for it.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Bob314159 wrote: »

Weight loss is not a cure. What works for maintenance is unlearning bad habits, and teaching yourself new (better) habits.

Critique your last weight loss approach.......did it teach you portion control for foods you enjoy? Did it teach you (some other examples follow): eat foods that are filling, eat more veggies, do more exercise, do less less snacking?

If an elimination diet sounds like something you can do forever.....then go for it.

This.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I find fasting feasible long term but not keto. I like carbs and keto is too restrictive for me. You can out eat a fast or keto though. To lose weight I do a 20:4 IF diet and eat ad limitum during eating window (no weighing or counting cals). For maintenance, I do a 16:8 IF diet and usually eat a low carb lunch consisting of a big salad and then eat in the evenings ad libitum (no measuring or counting either). That has worked for me this last year. If it didn't work I would just shorten eating window tell it worked.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs in the 5-6 mos before my wedding doing keto. I didn't crave carbs as long as I did full fat dairy. If I really wanted something I had it, but I didn't want it most of the time. Our keto-friendly snack was heavy cream and some berries. But even that wasn't daily. Not even weekly. What happened you ask? My honeymoon and European bread. There were some changes that stuck though. If there is some treat that I really want, I don't have the low-fat version. 1) It's loaded in sugar, 2) It's not that satisfying. I am very slowly starting to go back into it. We just ordered Fat Fuel coffee which is awesome. My husband will call it "not bad". I LOVE it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Keto is unecessary for weight loss. You need to create a calorie deficit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

This group has great resources if you want more info from people who have had success and do the diet long term.

Good luck.