Losing weight

Options
wise_wind
wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,

Is it considered healthy to lose 2 kg of weight every week? (2 kg = 4.4 pounds)

If it's unhealthy, what is the recommended rate of weight loss per week?

Edit:
I'm posting additional information as requested by the members.

Height: 168cm / 5.51 foot
Weight (Current) 100 kg / 220.5 pounds

My aim is to reach 75 kg.

Thank you.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's going to depend on how much you weigh at the beginning, but that's a really aggressive rate of loss that would be unhealthy for many people.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    That will depend on how much you have to lose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That rate is extreme, outside of the first few weeks of loss when you have a big whoosh of water weight fall off, in my opinion.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    1% of body weight is what is recommended as a maximum, so for you 2 kg would be too aggressive.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    wise_wind wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is it considered healthy to lose 2 kg of weight every week? (2 kg = 4.4 pounds)

Edit:
    I'm posting additional information as requested by the members.

Height: 168cm / 5.51 foot
    Weight (Current) 100 kg / 220.5 pounds

My aim is to reach 75 kg.

No, not for you. Even 1 kg a week is pushing it, 3/4 kg or 1/2 kg a week would be better.

Here's why - your body needs calories for fuel and won't get 100% of daily requirements from fat stores. Aggressive weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Fast weight loss (for the moderately overweight) doesn't lower your body fat % as much as you could have.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats no that's not a healthy rate of loss, you can probably sustain a 2lb loss per week in a healthy manner.

If you're just starting out, you may see a bigger drop at the beginning which will be water weight,it likely won't continue as to drop 4lb per week you'd need a 2000 calorie deficit a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    1% of body weight is a good, healthy, realistic weekly loss goal. You can, technically, reach 1 kg in your first week, and your first week only :D

I personally like the 1% "rule" - it's proportional and dynamic, and although your weight loss slows down as time goes by, this is - providing you're doing it right and have an appropriate calorie deficit - because your body has less excess fat to shed, so a slower maximum loss can be regarded as proof that you are getting healthier.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    here is a chart that is easy to read

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Why the hurry? You have plenty of time to take is slower and you will feel better. Too aggressive a path is likely to have bingeing episodes. It is consistent loss you want and over time it will take care of everything else.
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my late reply. Thanks for your replies guys. :)