***HELP IM SO DISCOURAGED***

Options
OK IM ACTUALLY FREAKING OUT!.... Ive been on a weightloss program for the last few weeks and had lost 21 LBS as of last friday (July 26th),.... I weighed TODAY and it says Ive gained 5 LBS!!!!!.... Im so discouraged!! Is this normal??? HELP!! I dont feel like Ive gained!!! I hate that I depend on the scale to make me or break me!! Im not gonna weigh again till the 9th! I really appreciate MFP!!

Replies

• tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight. Eating too much salt does that to me!!! Just gotta add some extra water in there to help get rid of it!!!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out!! It's one "bad" weigh-in. There is more to this journey than that darn scale. But your weight can fluctuate for so many reasons. Don't panic!

Is it that time of the month? (TOM)?

Did you eat a lot of salty foods this weekend?

Are you drinking enough water to stay hydrated and keep your waste moving out of your body?

Just stay focused. You've lost 21 pounds! That's a fantastic start. You have nothing to be discouraged about. I know its hard not to let that scale ruin your day, but don't! Think about 20 pounds, what it looks like. That's gone from your body. Forever! Regain your composure, remember that this is a lifetime journey, and there will be bumps in the road. You can do this!
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I just survived "hell week" (aka birthday celebration week) and am also dealing with what your going through. As females, we have to remember the role that water weight, hormones, and other little things can make the scale our enemy.

Just remember that this is about getting healthy (not just smaller) and focus on what your doing. If in the long term you aren't seeing the results you want, then mix things up.

And remember, you can loose inches when you aren't loosing pounds.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights too? could be muscle gain. Check your food log and see how much sodium you are taking in, could be holding water as well.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    breathe... breathe more.... and then breathe again...

Two and a half pounds is nothing in the grander scheme of things. Why? Your muscle will hold onto some water if it's under stress - it works it's way out - no big deal!!

Also, how are your sodium counts? If you may have had a high sodium day, your body might still be trying to flush it out as we speak - but in the meantime it's retaining water?

Please relax - stress raises the cortisol which makes a person hold onto excess weight. I am the president of the Way Too Stressed club and it's not working in my favor.

~*** hugs ***~
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal. Something else is going on. You are likely to be retaining water for some reason -- likely a higher salt intake. Don't be discouraged, just keep on going. My scale goes up and down 3 lbs regularly. You are losing weight and the scale will reflect that if you keep on going.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    relax...2.5lb gain is not that bad could be water weight could be anything...try avoiding the scale for a week or two...walk away let how you feel look and endurance/strength tell you how your doing...21lbs is A LOT and 18.5 is a TON too :) stay strong and FOCUSED...

and i have been told by my dad DO WORK! and FOCUS!!!

scales suck
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about; weight fluctuates so much! It tends to average out over time. Try it on the 9th and see how it goes. Case in point: I weighed myself on a Thursday and I was slightly discouraged; then I weighed myself the next day and I was down 4lbs!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That happens to me weekly. The scale goes up and down. Dont rely on a scale....you are losing inches as well...and sometimes that doesnt show up on a scale. Water retention from sodium etc. also can affect you. I go up and down all month. BUT.....I still have lost 43 pounds since April. Dont be discouraged.....it is normal!
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Don't panic!!!

Weight can fluctuate 5 lbs. or so in either direction. It's ok. Please calm down & don't let it deter you from what you've set out to do - change your life. I'd suggest lookin' at overall changes within a month's time. Don't go from week to week too, too much b/c weight is fickle. It can fluctuate based on so many factors, all of which we're unable to monitor at most times.

It's ok. You're absolutely fine. Stay the course. You know you can do this. You've seen it. The scale is one tool of which to measure. It's not the end all be all of weight loss.

Remain encouraged. You are doing soooooo well!

*hugs*

Jean
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    don't panic it seems like it's water.... Your doing a awsome job losing the weight :flowerforyou:
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just FOCUS on what you have done! :smile:
  • hiimariissa
    Options
    Don't freak out! I lost 62 pounds from january to june then i maintained and now im starting back up again & im also a diet and nutrition major in college. Your weight is gonna fluxate for a lot of reasons! try to weigh yourself weekly and in the morning right before breakfast. Also, digital scales can be unrealiable sometimes. check to make sure your battery is still good! don't give up!
  • lisajessica9
    Options
    don't worry! Just keep doing your program and go for an extra walk! You are great and you are on your way to a healthier, better, more beautiful you! Sometimes just the heat makes you retain water. Remember this is a lifestyle change so just ask your self before you want to eat something "is this a healthy choice"! I had to loose alot one time and it is really upsetting when you "gain" or appear to gain while on a weightloss plan, everyone goes through it! Do something you love to do that does not involve eating to distract yourself! You can do it!
  • lakenleona
    lakenleona Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Stop. Take deep breaths. Don't panic! Sometimes weight fluctuates depending on a variety of things. Don't get discouraged, just keep eating right and excercising. Don't weigh again for a few days and then if the scale still says you have gained 2.5 lbs, just reevaluate your eating and exercise. Sometimes I weigh between 1-2lbs different each day, so I try to only weigh myself around the same time on a certain day of the week. I'm fairly sure that's normal. Congrats on your 21 lbs lost, by the way!! :)
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "for the last few weeks"

Well, my first thought is that it could be a "female" issue, based on the timing there! Or it could be your body holding onto water aka water retention. It's counter-intuitive, but drinking more water helps with that. Or it could be related to *ahem* other retention, the kind that some fiber will help with. It could be any number of things but just breathe deeply and try not to focus on the number. Focus on how you feel, how your clothes fit you, etc. Heck, it could just be that your bathroom scale needs new batteries! Keep your chin up!
  • Nikol3Br
    Options
    The problem about weighing yourself is you have to be consistent on time, the best time of the day to weigh yourself is in the morning when you first wake up, if you weight yourself at all hours of the day its always going to change, either because of water intake, humidity plays a role etc. So many things factor our weight that we dont realize, but if you do it once a day at the same time, or every other day that would be best. And dont go by the number on the scale, go by how you feel in your clothes and how your carring yourself. You could have a great 2 hour workout of walking, running, swimming whatever it may be, you may not lose weight (THAT DAY) so if you weigh the same after your workout as you did before, thats when we get discouraged. DON'T! Please please keep going, keep trying and you'll see results. If you are consistent, in 4-6 weeks you'll see a difference and that should be enough to keep going, because imagine how you'll look and feel in 2-3 months !! AMAZING ! Keep posative, its hard but worth it! Hope i helped :)
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You've made so much progress! Don't get upset about 2 measly pounds!

If you have slipped up and ate to much, forgive yourself and move on. You'll lose those 2 lbs again easily.

If you haven't been drinking enough water, or its TOM, or two much salt, etc. Forget it! Drink your water and know that those two lbs will be gone again in no time.

If you have been logging and making your goals you might consider recalculating your goals, since they do change as you lose weight. If you have reached a plateau, you may need to change things up to keep making progress.
  • HirutMc
    HirutMc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OOh,

Take it easy. What everyone says is true.
    Another trick is to weigh your self at the same time each day. That way if you tend to retain water in the afternoon it doesn't look like a drastic jump from a morning weigh in the night before.

:-)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    1st calm down

2nd could be just water weight

3rd its normal to gain a few lbs back (its a process)

4th you lose them again

5th if you are lifting weight then you must have gain muscle rather than fat.(muscle weigh more than fat)

6th watch your sodium intakes too 1500 - 2000 mg will be best but if you cant thats fine but keep it 2500 and below

7th DRINK YOUR WATER
    :)