Empty Nesters?

Options
Deb4667
Deb4667 Posts: 6 Member
New Phase.... now what? List some advice,ideas, thoughts. :)

Replies

• edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Relax, watch your tv shows , ride bike, cocktail time ,
  • JsaddlerB2706
    JsaddlerB2706 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chill and exercise
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    My girls are 35, 33 and 23. They have all been out of the house since the youngest went to college in 2012.

Wife and I do travel a bit. Usually take a 2 week vacation in May and another 1 week vacation in August. I usually take 1 or 2 weeks without her for Motorcycle Rallies with my buddies. (Wife does not ride). Wife usually takes 2 to 3 weeks each year to travel with her sisters.

I hike a lot on the weekends and, after my wife's Hip replacement surgery (in October) and recovery, she wants to start hiking too.

We average 4 or 5 concerts a year.

We keep pretty busy. Planning for retirement and refurbishing the house for selling at retirement takes up a bit of time too.

We retire in 2019. Moving to Vegas area. I think that will be the time we need to start planning what we are going to do with our time. I am planning on starting Culinary school and I think my wife might join me. Beyond that I think we will travel to visit family, host friends and family in Vegas and relax.
  • Deb4667
    Deb4667 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    My girls are 35, 33 and 23. They have all been out of the house since the youngest went to college in 2012.

Wife and I do travel a bit. Usually take a 2 week vacation in May and another 1 week vacation in August. I usually take 1 or 2 weeks without her for Motorcycle Rallies with my buddies. (Wife does not ride). Wife usually takes 2 to 3 weeks each year to travel with her sisters.

I hike a lot on the weekends and, after my wife's Hip replacement surgery (in October) and recovery, she wants to start hiking too.

We keep pretty busy. Planning for retirement and refurbishing the house for selling at retirement takes up a bit of time too.

We retire in 2019. Moving to Vegas area. I think that will be the time we need to start planning what we are going to do with our time. I am planning on starting Culinary school and I think my wife might join me. Beyond that I think we will travel to visit family, host friends and family in Vegas and relax.[/quote

Sounds like an adventure!! This inspires me!

• trayalwalker
    trayalwalker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

We retire in 2019. Moving to Vegas area. I think that will be the time we need to start planning what we are going to do with our time. I am planning on starting Culinary school and I think my wife might join me. Beyond that I think we will travel to visit family, host friends and family in Vegas and relax.

We are retired as well, but we are moving to Arizona in three days. I hike a lot but my husband doesn't. Our kids are 39, 32 and 22. If not for the recent fires in Oregon, I'd be doing the Oregon section of the PCT in July. Instead I think I will do the JMT next summer. I am not a gambler so Vegas is not where Id want to be. I hope you enjoy it.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My oldest is a sophomore in college and although my youngest is a freshman in high school and still home, I feel like such an empty nester because I now know how fast 4 years of high school go! I can’t even handle the thought of them both being gone and adults, when it actually happens I’m going to be a wreck!!!
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby, get a dog to walk, if your with a significant other- keep connected. Do things together. I know from personal experience!
    Most of all, enjoy this new phase of life.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Empty Nester and newly Single... Don't know what the heck to do with myself! :grimace:
  • wi_denisha
    wi_denisha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Deb4667 wrote: »
    New Phase.... now what? List some advice,ideas, thoughts. :)

Get a puppy!! That's what I did 2.5 years ago. Lol

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Work More.

Pay Taxes.

.... we need the scratch.