Only 1 LB lost this week

Options
I know that some weeks, my weight loss will be slower than others, but 1 LB is so disappointing after doing everything I was supposed to the whole week! I know it takes time, but at a 1 LB rate, it is discouraging to think how long it will take to get to my goal. If only, the pounds flew off like on TV!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is normal to be honest. At most you should be losing 2lb's per week. No more than that. If you go too fast it will be because you are eating a huge calorie deficit, and you will not only plateau in your weigh loss program but you will put the weight back on fast.

Try to eat a 20-40% calorie deficit under your maintenance.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I know that some weeks, my weight loss will be slower than others, but 1 LB is so disappointing after doing everything I was supposed to the whole week! I know it takes time, but at a 1 LB rate, it is discouraging to think how long it will take to get to my goal. If only, the pounds flew off like on TV!

ONLY 1 lb? Have you seen what a pound of fat or a pound of butter looks like? And you lost it, right? Which means that 1 lb is gone, you didn't add any, and you got rid of 1 that was there! That is great and an accomplishment.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better - I gained that pound you lost this week. :grumble:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Did you gain it all in a week?? What's the rush??
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    One pound is pretty normal. Unless you are very overweight, you shouldn't be aiming for much more than that.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I only lost 1 lb this month :grumble:
  • Tabithagregory09
    Options
    You also have to take into consideration how long it took you to gain the weight.. I know it is frusterating, i am right there with you but keep it up..Look long term..Think about what you will look like in 12 months from now...you will be 52lbs lighter now thats saying something :)
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just remember that slow and steady wins the race. People who lose it slowly tend to keep it off and you reduce the chance of having saggy skin after losing weight. I was a slow loser as well, but I got there. Went from 131 lbs to 105 lbs in 6 months. It's frustrating I know, but it's a good thing. Healthy eating, don't under eat as it will cause a plateau, and lots and lots of water (very very important...it took me a while to understand that). You'll get there. Stay strong :~)
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I managed 1.2 and was well under goal all week. Still - I'll take it. It's taken me 3 years to lose 30 and one pound per week will get me to goal faster than that!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's no ONLY in weight loss!! Forget about those tv shows - those are severely obese people who are being fed certain things and trained by professionals. Thnk about the weeks on Biggest Loser when they're left to their own devices and either don't lose at all, "only" lose a pound or two, or gain - that's more how normal people do it.

This is not a completition. Take a deep breath, relax, give yourself a break, and take ONLY out of your vocabulary. Trust me, setting the bar too high for yourself will only lead to dissapointments and failure.

Keep your thoughts positive and good things will come! :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You also have to take into consideration how long it took you to gain the weight.. I know it is frusterating, i am right there with you but keep it up..Look long term..Think about what you will look like in 12 months from now...you will be 52lbs lighter now thats saying something :)

THIS! ^^ Try to focus on the big picture! Would you be disappointed if you flashed forward and were 52 lbs lighter this time next year?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, the weeks on TV are not always weeks, and the competitors are also very dehydrated when they weigh in to get the big numbers. 1-2 pounds a week is good. Yes it will take a long time, but realize that time is time to re-learn your eating habits. This is not just a lose the fat quick plan. The point of this is that you want the lose the weight and keep it off. To do that you need to undo the habits you have established for your whole life up to now, and you need to learn new habits. If people ask me I suggest going for 1 pound per week as there is less chance of losing a lot of muscle mass that way.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel (I only lost .6lbs this week), but.... don't get discouraged!!! As others have said... the slower, the better, and.... at least you didn't gain!!!!

Keep in mind... you may not be there yet, but... you are closer than you were yesterday!!!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled to lose1 lb a week. Take it and savor it. Down is down!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Start weighing yourself in ounces. That is 16 ounces. That sounds better!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There's no ONLY in weight loss!! Forget about those tv shows - those are severely obese people who are being fed certain things and trained by professionals. Thnk about the weeks on Biggest Loser when they're left to their own devices and either don't lose at all, "only" lose a pound or two, or gain - that's more how normal people do it.

This is not a completition. Take a deep breath, relax, give yourself a break, and take ONLY out of your vocabulary. Trust me, setting the bar too high for yourself will only lead to dissapointments and failure.

Keep your thoughts positive and good things will come! :)

Brilliant advice!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is normal to be honest. At most you should be losing 2lb's per week. No more than that. If you go too fast it will be because you are eating a huge calorie deficit, and you will not only plateau in your weigh loss program but you will put the weight back on fast.

Try to eat a 20-40% calorie deficit under your maintenance.

THIS!!!
  • reckjb
    reckjb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know logically all of the above, but now that I am finally back on track, I just want it gone already! lol I know that slow and steady is safest, so I will keep plodding along. Thanks for the support! :)
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I average 0.5-0.8 lb a week and that is A LOT to me. You should never compare yourself to anyone and go at the pace that feels most comfortable to you. You didn't gain the weight overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options

Not to mention the two-word nightmare that nobody on here want's im sure.

Stretch-marks.