3 stone to lose!! Bad food relationship and anxiety

Options
Hi All!! Any advice on what not to eat? Other than normal bad foods.

Can I hear some success stories.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats a 'normal bad food'?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A bad relationship with food, and the associated anxiety, is best handled by allowing oneself to freely, but responsibly, eat whatever one wants, in the amounts one needs, without guilt or shame or regret, and not deem any food "bad", unless they are expired or cause allergic reactions. I have had success, by doing this. The food diary here, on MFP, is the first step.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Thinking of foods as good or bad is part of your bad food relationship. I used to have massive issues with food, with restrictions and food guilt, along with negative food associations causing me all kinds of problems (being both overweight and excessively lean)

Having a better relationship with food, with an IIFYM approach to diet really helped me. I no longer think of foods as good or bad - I like to eat nutrient dense foods most of the time, but happily enjoy treats without the guilt or worrying it's detrimental to my goals.

• Abbispeakman89
    Abbispeakman89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Like fast foods and such probably not the right way to say it.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

there's nothing wrong with fast food if it fits your calories and macros for the week... saying something is 'bad' is the bad bit...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

What is bad about it?
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your focus is- some just focus on losing weight and eat whatever they want so long as it stays within their calorie range. Others focus on losing weight and eating really healthy as well. I am focused on both- I mostly stay away from sugar and white flour and anything processed. Just doing that eliminates a boat load of foods I don't eat. For me a whole food diet works best as I'm getting the most nutrition from the calories I do eat. I eat lean meats and seafood, lots of veggies, fruit, only whole grains, nuts and seeds-this also provides high fiber which is important. But to each his own- I'm older and just more conscious of my over-all health in general. I don't think of foods as good or bad but I do assess food for it's nutrition value- I just want premium fuel for my older body- :) Sure, occasionally I'll eat something junkie, but not often. Good luck to you-you'll figure out what works best for you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your focus is- some just focus on losing weight and eat whatever they want so long as it stays within their calorie range. Others focus on losing weight and eating really healthy as well. I am focused on both- I mostly stay away from sugar and white flour and anything processed. Just doing that eliminates a boat load of foods I don't eat. For me a whole food diet works best as I'm getting the most nutrition from the calories I do eat. I eat lean meats and seafood, lots of veggies, fruit, only whole grains, nuts and seeds-this also provides high fiber which is important. But to each his own- I'm older and just more conscious of my over-all health in general. I don't think of foods as good or bad but I do assess food for it's nutrition value- I just want premium fuel for my older body- :) Sure, occasionally I'll eat something junkie, but not often. Good luck to you-you'll figure out what works best for you.
    And then there is a third group that eat whatever we want but still make sure we are getting in good nutrition for good health, not cutting ot foods or food groups for no good reason, and educate ourselves so we can make well informed decisions, instead of jumping on the latest bandwagon and be terribly hurt when we fall off. Maybe after living on a succession of bandwagons for way too many years.
  • Jancandoit7
    Options

there's nothing wrong with fast food if it fits your calories and macros for the week... saying something is 'bad' is the bad bit...

No offense but...Is there anything right about fast food? Other than it's fast? I wouldn't encourage anyone to eat it- it's not "bad" it's just complete garbage.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

No offense but...Is there anything right about fast food? Other than it's fast? I wouldn't encourage anyone to eat it- it's not "bad" it's just complete garbage.

if its something that i like to eat and it fits my calories and macros, then its 'right' for me.

eating a big mac (for example) does not negate the nutritional value of the apple and broccoli and whatever else i have also eaten that day....
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I can buy a burger I consider fast food. It's made with a grass fed beef patty, fresh tomato, lettuce, avo, cheese, onion. Locally made sourdough buns. Add some bacon, or a free range egg as an extra splurge.

... Perhaps with a side of sweet potato wedges.

What's garbage about it? You could eat a meal of steak, salad, roasted sweet potato, piece of bread on the side and it would be the same wouldn't it?
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I definitely can't say I have a success story because my story/battle is still ongoing. I left university for a semester because my chronic anxiety had really gone astray - I became incredibly depressed and stopped eating for months. I would probably eat an average of maybe 200 calories a day. I lost loads of weight and developed a fear of eating because I convinced myself food made me sick. Growing up I had a very sensitive stomach and would throw up involuntarily multiple times a week. Every so often my stomach acts up for chunks of time and the cycle of fearing food continues.

Honestly though, I think one of the best ways to start combatting that food anxiety is to start slowly and increase how much you eat with foods you consider safe and healthy. You need to constantly tell yourself that food is fuel, that you love your body and you want to nourish yourself with good foods. It really does make all the difference. Before I felt I had lost myself and the parts of my personality I loved so much because I had no energy to do much. Good foods and balance are quite literally reviving. Sorry for such a long answer, but I know I felt so alone dealing with my mental illness and I just want people everyone on here feeling that way that they are not alone in it :)
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    I can buy a burger I consider fast food. It's made with a grass fed beef patty, fresh tomato, lettuce, avo, cheese, onion. Locally made sourdough buns. Add some bacon, or a free range egg as an extra splurge.

What's garbage about it? You could eat a meal of steak, salad, roasted sweet potato, piece of bread on the side and it would be the same wouldn't it?

This is not fast food- and certainly not what most fast food eaters are referring to- your meal is not processed and full of artificial ingredients- you're playing games with semantics
  • TavistockToad
    Options

This is not fast food- and certainly not what most fast food eaters are referring to- your meal is not processed and full of artificial ingredients- you're playing games with semantics

And your response to me is.....?
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Lots of people on this site have had success with eating whatever they like as long as it puts them in a calorie deficit. I would direct you to the most helpful threads on the "getting started" tab.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Tips from me would be not to exclude anything you enjoy. No reason to restrict yourself when a calorie deficit is all you need. And buy a food scale, for accurate calorie intake.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Lots of people on this site have had success with eating whatever they like as long as it puts them in a calorie deficit. I would direct you to the most helpful threads on the "getting started" tab.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Tips from me would be not to exclude anything you enjoy. No reason to restrict yourself when a calorie deficit is all you need. And buy a food scale, for accurate calorie intake.

Yes, this. I've lost close to five stone (66lbs) so far, doing exactly this. Any "diet" that required me to cut out chocolate and other sweet things would have been doomed to failure pretty quickly, so by allowing myself carefully-portioned amounts of things I love that fit within my calorie goal I was able to stick with it. After a time, I realised that I don't crave chocolate the way I used to! The only thing I pretty much cut out was pop/soda/fizzy drinks/whatever you want to call them - too many calories for the amount of enjoyment I got out of drinking them. These days I'm much more picky about what I spend my precious calories on!

To begin with, you may want to just concentrate on your calorie goal and get used to weighing your food and eating appropriate portions. (Weighing and accurate logging is important!) As you get more used to eating less and start seeing results, you can think more about nutrition... you don't have to go all out and try to "eat perfectly" right from the start. In fact, I'd caution against trying to be perfect - just aim for good enough! "Perfect" is what causes people to give up and wreck their progress because they had one donut and feel like they fell off the wagon and ruined everything. I've had plenty of days where I went over my calorie goal (sometimes WAY over!), but it's always a conscious decision to eat that way and I don't feel guilty about it... I just get back on track afterwards.

I'd also second the advice to stop thinking about food as good or bad - fast food and other so-called "junk" can still fit comfortably in the context of an overall nutritious diet. Eat things you like in amounts that are appropriate for your goals, and you'll be successful. :)

Edit: I just re-read this post this morning... you may find it insightful and inspiring. :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454303/2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost/p1
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Why is it not fast food? It comes from as fast food restaurant...