OMG!!! Freaking here!!!

Options
I just weighed and I'm UP 3 pounds. I havent had a drink in a week, eating twice-three times what I used to (still not up there yet though!), and exercising every other day. I feel like I am eating way too much and the I track it for the day and am still 400-500 calories below what I need to be. Then when I exercise I have to eat more. Im getting enough sleep and plenty of water, but I'm up 3 pounds in ONE week! Someone help PLZ!

Replies

• sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? What does your diet consist of? What are you workouts like?
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? What does your diet consist of? What are you workouts like?

and it would help if we could look at your diary
  • glutenliz
    glutenliz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just made my food diary public. Im in a wheelchair so most exercise isnt an option for me but I do 10-13 minutes on the elliptical and ~20 minutes on the bike every other day. I dont know what your refering to as to how long I'm doing this... mfp- 1 week prior several months and before that 2 years. Was loosing a ton of weight after the OD, was down to 150, but life happened and now im back in the chair. Now, trying to get healthy again and I gained 3 pounds!
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd like to hear the replies too.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Caloric content is fine, perhaps even low, but I see mostly carbs, pork and dairy.

If you were a client I would suggest adding some more veggies to the mix, replace the grits with oats, cut way back on the dairy, change the pork to chicken/turkey/fish and have a couple salads. Drink more water too. BUT, if you were successful with this diet in the past then maybe you should just give it another week and see what happens.
  • glutenliz
    Options
    thanks for ur help! The hard thing for me is that I have to eat gluten free for my ataxia. So, unfortunately, all the oats I know are off limits so I eat the grits mainly just for the calories. Its a shame because I adore oatmeal and also yogurt with shredded wheat (both staples when I lost before) and I cant eat either now. Will definitely try to add more veggies. Canned are just so high in sodium and fresh go bad before I remember I have em (have cabbage, 4 tomatoes, and a pint of mushrooms in my fridge spoiled that I have to chuck.) I guess I just freaked when I saw the scale go up, but I guess I just have to give it time!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies! They'll last a long, long time, and don't have the sodium of canned. Or freeze fresh ones.

I'm betting your gain is mostly water retention from sodium. I love pork and ham and tortilla chips, but I always expect to see the scale go up after having them.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    have 4 tomatoes in my fridge spoiled that I have to chuck.

I would recommend not keeping tomatoes in the fridge--they will last longer.
    -wtk
  • ferewyni
    ferewyni Posts: 10
    Options
    I am kind of give-up I a plateau for over 5 weeks I don't know what to do ,please help if you have any suggestion or Idea??
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can get gluten free oats. Many health food stores have them and you can buy them on-line. The gluten usually comes from cross contamination due to processing.
  • ETsambouris
    Options
    HI,
    Have you ever gone to www.livingwithout.com ? It has some great recipes and ideas for a gluten free diet :) It might give you some variety. There is also
    www.glutenfreeclub.com/Recipes
    www.sparkrecipes.com

You should also check out youtube for exercise routines. They have some ones that take place while sitting.

Good luck! :D
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

Your daily intake is all over the place from looking at your diary. The foods are fine, but the intake isn't consistent and neither are your macros.

Do you know what your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture) is in a 24 hour period?

Have you tried eating the same amount for 3-4 weeks first and see if you lost, remained the same or gained weight?

What is your daily lifestyle like outside of the gym?

How much are you training inside the gym? Frequency?

How much water are you drinking?
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Could you use frozen veg? It's usually frozen fresh so not much nutrients is lost...
  • glutenliz
    Options
    thanks to everyone for all the great tips! Especially about the oats, I so miss them!

joej....- OP- Your daily intake is all over the place from looking at your diary. The foods are fine, but the intake isn't consistent and neither are your macros.

Do you know what your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture) is in a 24 hour period? Maintenance: 2510 Calories/day
    Weight Loss: 2008 Calories/day Extreme Weight Loss: 1506 Calories/day ***however this may be skewed by the chair, I know nothing about this!
    Have you tried eating the same amount for 3-4 weeks first and see if you lost, remained the same or gained weight? Never.
    What is your daily lifestyle like outside of the gym? I am moderately active, BUT in a wheelchair so sitting most of the time,
    How much are you training inside the gym? Frequency? I do not drive, so the gym is super hard for me. In my apartment complex, we have an exercise room with bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills (which I cant do!) Ido the other two every other day for ~35-40 minutes at a time
    How much water are you drinking? I forget to tack it but a ton I always have a bottle in my hand of water or sugar free koolaid. I'm giving up alcohol so I have to keep something in my hand or I reach for stuff I shouldn't have.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest more veggies and more protein! Watch your sodium and sugar. Weight flucuates - very frustrating I know, but you haven't been at this too long - so give it some time. You're doing well - it will come off!! As for food - just try to stay above 1200 calories and drink lots of water. You'll see progress.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Liz if your maintenance is 2500 cals, then you should be eating no less than 1500 cals a day. Also it needs to be consistent. Also your macros need to be consistent with the daily minimums based on your intake. When I say macros I mean your macronutrients (proteins, fats, and carbs). Carbs are never required but proteins and fats are.

Aim for 1g of protein per lb of Lean Body Mass.
    Aim for .35-.75g of fat per lb of BODYWEIGHT.
    Put the rest in carbs, additional proteins and fats to make up 1500 cals a day.

Drink a good amount of water every day. Shoot for roughly 5-7 bottles of those 17 ounce ones (Dasani, Deer park, etc) every day. Watch your sodium intake, but even if you take in alot of sodium if you're drinking alot of water you'll release it.

Remember more water in = more water out. Don't go crazy with drinking 2 gallons of water a day though.

Cardio isn't required for weight loss, but it is required for a healthy cardiovascular system. Your heart with love you for it.

Get a good amount of veggies and fruits in your daily diet as well. You don't have to eat super clean. Just make sure you don't go over your daily intake, and hit your macros. You'll be fine.
  • glutenliz
    Options
    Thanks so much joej lots of great tips. I really appreciate it!
    As for the lady wanting to give up bc of the plateau, dont! From my limited knowledge plateaus are very normal. I was told a while back that your body can get "used" to a certain routine. You may want to try to vary it up.