Men in 40s with goal of recommended BMI

Options
Hi I'm a Man 48 yrs old 6 foot tall going to loose 50 pounds to get back to my recommended BMI. Looking for support and to support others with a similar objective.

Replies

• ranchowanttobefit
    Options
    Hello James,
    I am 54 and 6 foot also. OK 5' 11 3/4". I, too, need to lose weight to get to a healthy BMI. My 6 month goal is 52 pounds. (Currently 252) I have never used this forum for support, so this is new to me. What is your plan? Joe
  • james10041969
    james10041969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe,
    My goal is one pound a week for a year. I want to put in place habits that will keep me healthy for the second half of my active life so my diet is 2000 calories a day 3 meals and snacks. That is something I can maintain even after the weight loss. I have printed off a two week nutritous meal plan that includes the snacks. I am going to repeat the two week plan 25 times for this coming year cause it's better than my past eating habits. I will be exercising 500 calories a day for the year to create the average weight loss of a pound a week.
  • ranchowanttobefit
    Options
    It sounds like you thought this through. This is awesome! My vice is (was) fast food and donuts - because I am also "busy". Which is really no excuse. I am at the start of my plan (about a week into it) I am tracking all of my calories and working out at least 5 days a week. I have incorporated a homeade breakfast into my routine (steel cut oats and blueberries & egg white omelet with spinach and mushrooms) are my go to items for now, but looking to expand my choices. My hardest time is in the afternoon when my mind is craving bad foods. It's not that I'm hungry, it's just habit?

How often do you weigh in?
  • james10041969
    james10041969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same problem with the donut and coffee. That habit has equaled a half pound a week weight gain for me whenever I had a running injury and have stopped my favourite exercise without replacing it with another. Key I find is to plan the three snacks as well as the three meals. When I'm eating six times a day I don't have much chance to get hungry.
  • ranchowanttobefit
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.
    It sounds like you are a runner. I have just never been able to get a good (consistent) running routine going. Any suggestions?
    How can I best provide support for you?
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Gentlemen: I'm 56, and sort of at a transition point in my battle. I'm 5'8" and started at 215, now down to 170 and holding. On the snack issue, I bought KIND bars (Amazon sells them by the dozen-box), and stashed them at home and work. No, it's not a doughnut, but the nuts and other fiber in them really helps hold off the cravings. And if they're in your desk drawer, you won't walk to the breakroom for the doughnut! And MFP; I had no idea how many calories I was taking in, or where they were coming from until I started with it. Pushing 1100 days now. I really haven't given up anything. I've cut way back on fried anything and on white bread and rice, but I don't feel deprived.

Walking worked for a while, then hybrid walking/running, and now I run 4X/week, and have gotten my endurance up. It just took time. Still need/want a support team; feel free to add me if you'd like, and I'll do the same. DCorrick
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Gentleman, feel free to add me. I am more or less on maintenance, depending on whether I have an athletic event upcoming and I need to drop a few lbs for weight class reasons.

I am almost 43 and dropped over 90lbs with use of this app for diet and exercise. I am very active and my diary is open.