Instant oatmeal

Options
Best instant oatmeal that tastes good but not loaded with sugar....and go!

Replies

• KateGymBunny
    KateGymBunny Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Banana-nut oatmeal; rolled oats, water, sliced banana, chopped walnuts and a little cinnamon.
    It's not the instant variety but it's 2 mins to prepare and 3 mins in the microwave (so that makes it pretty instant in my book). Tastes great and will keep you fuller for longer because the oats are not already processed down to a fine grain.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    An "instant oatmeal that tastes good but not loaded with sugar"?

There's no such thing IMO.

There is a plain Quaker Oats instant oatmeal but it doesn't taste good until you add sugar, honey, agave or ripe fruit (which also has natural sugar in it).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, make your own.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Quaker does make a lower sugar variety. The apples & cinnamon one is my favorite.

I typically make a big batch of steel cut in the crockpot with half milk/half water. Steel cut has a great texture. I add cinnamon and Splenda. Then re-heat a portion with 1/2 a banana or spiced pumpkin puree.....yummy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Not really instant and has some sugar:

Precooked steal cut oats in rice cooker. Add raisins, cinnamon, and unsweetened applesauce for flavour. It'll keep in the fridge for days. Microwave your portion in the morning, add additional ingredients. With a little prep before, it's fairly instant, tastes great, and will keep you full for a while.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One third cup minute oats, one cup water. Microwave. Boom!
  • willgreene99
    willgreene99 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What about Starbucks Oatmeal breakfast? The options to add brown sugar, mixed dried fruits and nuts can be added or not to flavor to one's tastes without adding too much sugar.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal packets all have way too much sodium.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Maybe make your own instant packets. Use regular oats, put in blender for just a minute, not too fine. Measure into snack size baggies, add dried apples, cranberries, nuts, and as much sugar as you think is healthy and tasty.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    An "instant oatmeal that tastes good but not loaded with sugar"?

There's no such thing IMO.

Sure there is.

I prefer non instant (texture), but McCann's instant steel cut tastes pretty good. Only ingredient is oats (instant is just about how fine it's cut). Bob's Red Mill has an instant, only oats, too.

I add protein powder (whey, mixes easily, natural or vanilla, it's no sugar added) and berries.

Alternative if one likes savory oats, an egg, some chopped vegetable (asparagus is nice), and feta, but if you are going to the trouble might as well have non instant, IMO.

Oh, and since sodium was brought up, the McCann's says 0 sodium.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Best instant oatmeal that tastes good but not loaded with sugar....and go!

IMHO there is none. It is faster to make regular oatmeal anyway so why bother???
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Just buy the big tub of regular oatmeal. It cooks in the same amount of time, but you control the calories that are added.
    I make "Loaded Oatmeal." Vanilla and peanut butter protein powder, raisins, cinnamon and almond milk. So freakin' good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just use regular oats and add your own stuff. No instant oatmeal IS good IMO.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Just buy the big tub of regular oatmeal. It cooks in the same amount of time, but you control the calories that are added.
    I make "Loaded Oatmeal." Vanilla and peanut butter protein powder, raisins, cinnamon and almond milk. So freakin' good.

This^^it takes exactly the same minutes to nuke the regular kind as instant and it's less mushy
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats.
    They take a little longer to make.
    Fantastic texture
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »

This^^it takes exactly the same minutes to nuke the regular kind as instant and it's less mushy

And it's more filling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture of "instant" oats. Too much like baby food!

Cooking real oats only takes me three and a half minutes and as you start with 100% oats you get to choose what you add.
    For me that's milk, a slurp of evaporated milk and a teaspoon of sugar. Delicious!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Put the real oats (rolled oats) in the fridge with milk or water overnight and they will be "cooked" by the morning. You can heat them up in the microwave if you wish.

My favorite of course is steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight.
    Then I add nuts or even some cut up sandwich meat for more protein.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Regular oatmeal only take 1 min, 20 sec in the microwave. I like to put honey and bananas in mine. You could even do Splenda.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a little it of cinnamon and splenda. Sometimes with maple syrup and brown sugar. Sometimes with a little vanilla extract and some blueberries. I don't buy the pre-packaged packets of oatmeal anymore. I LOVE oatmeal though lol.