Losing Touch with People

Options
I have started noticing that since I have gotten so motivated and have so much drive now with my life and fitness that I tend to avoid lazy people. Including some of my friends. It is an interesting thing and I was wondering if anyone is pushing people out of their lives because those people can't keep up?

Replies

• celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have pushed them out but I do notice I don't have as much time for them. Mainly because I don't have time for what we used to do -- like now I would rather go for a hike and grab a bite of dinner rather than go sit at a bar for happy hour
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My really, truly close friends? No...these people are like family to me.

I did have a group of guys that were more casual friends that I used to go to the bar with on Sundays and watch football all day with and I haven't seen much of them in years save for in passing. We'd get there around 10AM and drink and eat and watch football until the night game ended most Sundays.

I'd rather spend that time now on my bike or out hiking or rock climbing or something.

I'd also say that over the last 5 years I have added a lot more fitness oriented friends and that the vast majority of people that my wife and I hang out with now are pretty fitness oriented and our activities often involve doing something fitness oriented...and then getting together at each others houses for cold beers.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a number of longer term friendship just kind of fade away. We just didn't have much in common anymore. Most of my friendships now start at the gym and those people I train with 90% of the time are the people I spend my time with socially. I think it's a natural profession when one makes drastic lifestyle changes.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    OP, I completely understand what you're saying and I agree with you, but just a warning: this place is pretty touchy and I would expect some backlash over your "avoiding the lazy" wording, but whatever. Doesn't bother me.

I have changed who I spend time with, particularly family as EVERY event revolves around food. Sure, food is at most social events and activities but they take it to an extreme level. But, I don't avoid the events completely because socialization is important so maybe I'll just go later when I know the initial eating period is over and I can enjoy conversations instead.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    As your priorities change, so do the people who add to your life. You'd be surprised at how resentful your so-called friends can turn out to be. It's okay to change, as a matter of fact, we are SUPPOSED to change. It's growth and there is power in fluidity and movement in one's life. Hopefully your friends grow with you but that is not often the case.
  • Tuvonaught
    Tuvonaught Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lol meant unmotivated not lazy.. Terrible with words honestly.