Need advice: Heart Rate during C25K

Options
I could use some info/advice.

I'm a beginner runner - learning to run via the Couch to 5K (C25K) program... starts with short intervals of running/walking, and the running intervals get longer over time. The version I'm doing is an 8 week program, and I'm on week 5 which asks for 5 minute runs interspersed with 3 minute walks.

My question: do I need to slow down if my heart rate gets up high during the run intervals?

I'm just starting to learn about target heart rate. here are my numbers:

I'm 49 years old
Resting is 65
Max is 171
Fat burning range is 126-137
Aerobic/Cardio range is 137-153
Red Zone is 153-170

When I'm doing the run intervals during gym C25K training, my heart rate regularly gets up to 155, 160 or so. Especially the first time the app asks me to run a new length of interval.

Am I over-working? Or is this how to build endurance?

No one would ever accuse me of being an athlete... I'm 5'4" and 195 lbs, getting smaller very slowly.

Need some assurance I'm doing this ok, or maybe advice on what to do differently.

Replies

• gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when I usually run my HR is mid 160-175 as per my Fitbit and stays elevated like that during my whole 5k runs. I think the fitter you are cardiovascularly the lower your hr would be.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    220-age is pretty useless in predicting a specific person's actual maximum heart rate. Unless your doctor has advised you to limit exertion, just ignore the heart rate stuff.

You should be running slowly enough that you could carry on a conversation. It's okay if that's slower than your normal walking speed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had your actual maximum HR tested, you really can't know what your maximum is. The 220 - age is not valid for a lot of people. At 60, I've done runs where my HR got up above 180 climbing a hill, and I wasn't pushing the pace. when it's hot and humid, my HR soars. What matters is how you feel. It should feel fairly easy, as if you can talk in whole sentences. If you don't have someone to talk to, try reciting a poem or the words to a song you're listening to. Can you finish the workout? That's all that really matters.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Use this instead to get ranges.

Train in the aerobic range.

Race in the tempo range.

Just need to remember the number between those ranges.

For now until more experienced. Endurance will benefit from the lower range training.

www.calculatenow.biz/sport/heart.php?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I trained with C25K as well. The best advice I got was to take the "talk test" while running to ensure you aren't overworking yourself. Speak a short sentence out loud while running. If you have to pant it out, slow down. If you can speak it comfortably (or almost comfortably), you're running at a good pace for your level.

You can run the first interval a touch slower than than the following intervals to give your body the chance to warm up to running. You can also change the pace during the interval to help you make it through.

It's all about making it to the end of the interval right now. Speed will come later. Don't worry about it now. Go slow and you'll build your stamina up.

Congratulations on starting C25K. Welcome to the world of running.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Heart rate zones when setup properly (actually measured) can be a useful training tool for advanced runners. Those who are just starting probably shouldn't bother even measuring. If you can talk and/or sing while you are running, you are doing it right. If you find it difficult to sing, slow down.

Also, I'm guessing from your descriptions that you are reading this from some treadmill or other gym equipment. The stuff on there is from the marketing department. Ignore it.

Good luck.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you can get your heart rate too high without feeling indicators that you need to slow down. If you are struggling to breathe, you feel dizzy, you experience a headache, you feel like you might puke, or you feel like you are too hot and can't cool down then your heart rate is probably too high. If you experience none of those then you are probably okay.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 with a rhr of 40, my max (which it regularly reaches during interval training) is 183, feels like I'm working really hard at this point but not like I'm dying (100lb ago it felt like I was dying when my hr hit 130!). When running my hr is usually somewhere between 150 and 170 depending on whether I'm going uphill, sprinting etc. and that's while I'm singing along as I run.

I would say go on how you actually feel more than your hr, especially as you're new to running and not ready to train to hr yet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lustrebass wrote: »
    When I'm doing the run intervals during gym C25K training, my heart rate regularly gets up to 155, 160 or so.

If you're feeling adverse effects, like light-headedness or stomach upset, then ease back a little. IF not, don't worry about it.

Realistically you've got no idea what your MHR actually is unless you get lab tested, so don't bother too much about zone training and just run by feel.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's potentially a whole world of difference between an actual tested max HR and an estimated max HR. People's HR is too variable - which makes a complete mess of estimated HR zones. My brother would regularly exceed his age related estimated max by 30+ bpm while training hard but at sub-maximal level.

Perceived exertion is fine for C25K, doesn't need to be any more complex than that.