quest for more protein

Options
Anyone know of any good high protein snacks? My biggest body concern is my belly like jelly and I have been told I need to cut down on carbs. I always stay within my calorie limits, and I am trying to lose a lot of weight. I just want to get rid of this muffin top!! Any suggestions?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like turkey jerky sticks, mozzarella cheese sticks, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, deli meats, and if I have no time a good protein shake!
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Definitely greek yogurt! Tons of protein. Lean meats. Tofu! Tofu has lots of good protein and no cholesterol. If you don't like it, try buying silken tofu and using it in smoothies or in place of ricotta cheese in pasta, for example.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Shrimp with cracked black pepper, chilli and citrus. Nom nom.
  • Car0lina82
    Options
    Some of the best and healthiest sources of protein include: Black beans, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, veggie burgers, pinto beans, tofu and quinoa.
    Remember that protein doesn't necessarily have to come from animal products like meat and dairy. The options I mentioned are all healthier (no added growth hormones), especially if you go for organic. Plus, unlike meat, these options have little to no fat in them making them the perfect allies in busting the jelly belly!
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    EAS AdvantEDGE shakes - 17 grams protein, 110 calories, easy to take with you. also Tuna salad - could put a little on some whole wheat crackers. I make mine with lite mayo, mustard, sugar free sweet pickle relesh and lots of chopped up celery, onions, greenpeppers and carrots.
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    My favorite is lamb, but protein shakes (I like Metabolic Drive and Grow! Whey from biotest) are a good way to get in extra protein.
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    I love almonds, especially Blue Diamond Almonds like Jalapeno Smokehouse. I know some people don't care for them, but I have been eating Think Thin protein bars, lower sugar count, with some good protein.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Cytosport has some great shakes depending on your goals. They make a light Muscle Milk that works great for those looking to decrease body fat while keeping with a healthy nutrition. Optimum Nutrition has similar shakes for certain goals though theirs are more tapered to protein only and not a meal replacement. (roughly 150 cal, 30g protein)
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am (holds my hands up) a protein shake lover. I zigzag my diet (between 1200 and 1600 calories) and do turn to the protein shakes when I need to boost my calories. Today's was Maximuscle - Maxi-Milk High Protein (Chocolate), 330 ml which is 208 calories, 30g protein and 20g carbs :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    veggie burgers, black beans, nuts/seeds, eggs, tofu, tempeh, greek yogurt
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink the maximum recommended allowance of my protein shake, but only if I've exercised, and not all at once.

I am a huge fan of tinned fish. A tin of tuna is almost all protein. I sprinkle a little pepper and powdered garlic into the tin, mash it up and eat it just like that. You can't get The dirt cheap stuff though, it's nasty.

I also buy soyasun quorn steaks for packed lunches. They don't need cooking (although they're better if they are cooked) and they're high protein. Yummy too. I love the Indian one.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Definately greek yogurt, muscle milk, string cheese....make a bunch of chicken breasts on the grill on sunday to throw in wraps,etc for a few days during the week. I like the la tortilla factory tortillas too. they have a ton of protein in them. I also ALWAYS keep a protein bar in my purse in case I am hungry on the road.
  • cassandraleo
    Options
    Yogurt for sure, and actually, in the hot summer months, I make sure to add plenty of skim milk to my coffee, since it's got 8 g protein per cup!