Fruit Anyone???

Options
So I'm thinking of introducing fruit into my day. The only kind I eat till now is bananas because a, I have a really sweet tooth and ripe bananas are sweet and b, I don't like hard fruit.

Any suggestions/advice how to add other fruit that is definitely sweet and soft without being all crunchy and bland??

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    watermelon and cantaloupe
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Berries
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The only fruit out there I know of that's still crunchy when ripe is the apple. Every other fruit I've tried is only hard when it's eaten while it's underripe.
  • witchofthewater
    Options
    If you like soft, blending them into a smoothie might help your cause. Then, you can use any type of fruit you want and it shouldn't be hard!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Berries. Have a pear, it's super sweet and a good dessert. Try what's in season around you and seems good. Peaches are soft (good ones may or may not be available where you are, it's kind of late in the season). Clementines are easy. Really, fruit is one of the easiest things in the world. I love it, and it's all sweet, but not everyone needs to.

Re hard, I'm actually weird about not liking to eat apples by biting into them, so always cut them up, but try a honeycrisp and if the biting into them thing is an issue for you too, cut it up and see if that helps.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Re hard, I'm actually weird about not liking to eat apples by biting into them, so always cut them up, but try a honeycrisp and if the biting into them thing is an issue for you too, cut it up and see if that helps.

I'm with you. I even have a set of fruit knives. I much prefer to cut little slivers off a pear, for example, and toss it in my mouth. There's something about biting into fruit with a skin I find unpleasant. Fruit just seems more tart that way. Maybe it has to do with how the fruit hits your mouth. I don't know. I just am with you on this.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet fruit is a peach or nectarine, sliced, pan grilled until warm and soft, then a tiny! Pat of butter added. Like 1/4 teaspoon. You can't really taste the butter, it's kinda like adding salt adds flavor, and I love butter!
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Why not buy an assortment of frozen berries and make a smoothie.
    That might be a good introduction to new flavours and textures. You can also add a little honey or maple syrup for additional sweetness. :p
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Fruit: eat all of it, try everything. Buy what is in season and if you have a farmer's market nearby try to go there to get the best flavors, otherwise just buy different fruits and try them out to see what you like.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! I love fruit, but discovered, thanks to the Fitness Pal program, that it was easy to go over my sugar limit for the day with a banana and an apple, with a couple of items that may have hidden sugars. Tons of fruit is great, but watch your portions and utilize the program if you are looking to maximize feeling great!....just my thoughts!
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I got to say I would take fruit any day over vegetables. If anyone here has ideas on how to jive up vegetables, I would be keen to hear.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you want fruit soft and flavorful, cook them with spices.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Peaches, apricots, pears, kiwi, mango, melon, pineapple, berries, oranges, grapes are not crunchy when ripe. Most fruit is not hard and crunchy. Most fruit is sweet. Lemons, limes or grapefruit would be more sour.
    Raw apples are crunchy. Cooked apples are soft though. The blandest apples are red delicious. Other varieties have different qualities.
    You can buy frozen fruit to add to smoothies.
    Buy canned fruit.
  • fabulous1690
    fabulous1690 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has posted. You have all offered some interesting ideas. And I will start to try something other than bananas.