Didn't expect to fall off the wagon this hard.

Options
So from April to August, I managed to lose 20lbs by counting calories. Wasn't even working out, minus all the work we have been doing to our home remodel.

At the end of August, I went on a little vacation to Nashville, where I was going to indulge, and begin counting calories when i got back home. I had been doing so good this far, I felt like I deserved it.

What a joke. Its been almost 4 weeks since I went to Nashville, and I still can't get my act together. I went from 138lbs, to 143lbs. I know its not much, but I physically feel massive. Constantly bloated, not constant anymore, and just feel miserable.

I know what I HAVE to do to get back on track, but i just cant seem to stay on track. I will eat good for a few days, then boom right back to 2000 cal days.

Went out to dinner last weekend, and actually ended up crying over a comment about my weight, as I pigged out on cheeseburger sliders, and cheese&bacon fries. It wasn't even a rude comment, and was largely misheard by me, but still it just sent me into a mini depressed state watching all my hard work unravel.

Its 100% my own fault, and I am not really looking for help on what to do(although I will take recommendations on how to alleviate the bloating). I know what I need to do. Its the dedication to get back on track and STAY there that I am lacking.

Kinda just needed to get it off my chest.

Ugh, rant over!

Replies

• JessiSheeks
    JessiSheeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is ok! Sadly it is far too easy to fall off the wagon. Keep working at it. Even if you mess up sometimes and eat a little over you have to keep trying. The only way to fail is to stop trying and it doesn't seem like you want to. Take it one day at a time, brush off old mistakes and start each day new.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It is ok and you can get back on track and know you are not alone. I fell off too and have put 18 pounds back on, at first I was sulking in that but now I am focusing on fixing it and getting back to where I was. Do you think you were being too restrictive? I think that is part of why I fell off so this time.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break.

Just try this a second. Maybe you don't know what to do. As they say in my yoga class, "Not to judge but to learn."

Look over what you did that brought you to this place. Is there something about your old program that was so unappealing that you don't want to go back?
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up over it and climb back on the wagon today. Dwelling on it does nothing for you. You can do it.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »
    It is ok and you can get back on track and know you are not alone. I fell off too and have put 18 pounds back on, at first I was sulking in that but now I am focusing on fixing it and getting back to where I was. Do you think you were being too restrictive? I think that is part of why I fell off so this time.
    88olds wrote: »
    Give yourself a break.

Just try this a second. Maybe you don't know what to do. As they say in my yoga class, "Not to judge but to learn."

Look over what you did that brought you to this place. Is there something about your old program that was so unappealing that you don't want to go back?

Luckily I wasn't being too restrictive in my past program, which is the only reason it worked. I ate whatever I wanted, just made it fit into my calories for the day. It was very easy.

I don't think it is that I dread eating at a deficit, I just think I overeat because my eyes are always bigger than my stomach. I always NEED more, even when im not hungry. I had gotten a lot better about that, but since Nashville, I just have been eating uncontrollably.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a food journal?

Cheese bacon fries sound awful.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Two ideas...look at your favorite diet meals and snacks and be sure you have everything on hand. Think positively and get through three days.. (stay busy) but no more punishing thoughts..just try to get your normal back.

Something that is working for me currently is eating at noon ( only coffee before) and sipping on an ice coffee throughout the afternoon. Then a good dinner and a snack. Somehow..this smaller window of eating makes me feel fuller at night. Plus I have the extra calories. It's like if I don't start eating early I don't think about it. Less stress.
  • jenniferbloomfield967
    Options
    I heard something about a home Reno going on.
    That can cause stress. Stress can cause an increase in meaningless eating.

Bloating is from high sodium foods. Cut out processed foods for a couple days and you should notice a change. Push water as well to help the kidneys.

You did it once, do it again. Find a reason to want it this time so you won't fall off. Or when you have one day of bad food choices just chalk it up to that.
  • alliea20
    alliea20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Girl whatever you do don't give up. Even doing little things to prevent losing sifbt of that wagon. Do what you can do knowing you are 50/50 even. Do as I say not as I do. I fell off track almost 2 years ago and gained almost all of my weight back. Previously lost almost 80 lbs in a little over a year .. I felt like a million bucks.. but got cocky with it. I wish I had a drill Sargent at home in the mornings.... But here for support. It's ok to not be 100%. Do what you can do. And over time you will find your way. Best of luck
  • Cheetoballs
    Cheetoballs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I have a similar issue where I can stay at 1200 calories a day for a few days then boom back to 2000 or around that. I just came from a business session where they said it takes courage to make a change and most of all to stay consistent with the steps to make that change....And a bright side is our bodies are burning calories all the time even when we are not excercising.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey it happens to me too. I was logging and losing weight and then at the end of July we went to Michigan for my friends wedding where I wasn't planning on logging... and then 6 weeks later, I still wasn't logging lol. I did manage to only gain a pound though so that's good.
  • annieuk123
    annieuk123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I lost lots of weight a few years ago. Vowed I'd never put it back on. However, as soon as I took my eye off the ball and gave into treats whilst away on holiday, I got into all my bad habits again....chocolate, sugar etc.

It was so hard to get back into the swing of healthy eating and logging everything.

The weight started to come back on (clothes tight, face fat etc!)

The only way to get back in the zone was to religiously start logging again and focus.

What helped me get going again was looking at the Success Stories on MFP. So inspirational.

Good luck, you'll get there.

• okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    So from April to August, I managed to lose 20lbs by counting calories. Wasn't even working out, minus all the work we have been doing to our home remodel.

At the end of August, I went on a little vacation to Nashville, where I was going to indulge, and begin counting calories when i got back home. I had been doing so good this far, I felt like I deserved it.

What a joke. Its been almost 4 weeks since I went to Nashville, and I still can't get my act together. I went from 138lbs, to 143lbs. I know its not much, but I physically feel massive. Constantly bloated, not constant anymore, and just feel miserable.

I know what I HAVE to do to get back on track, but i just cant seem to stay on track. I will eat good for a few days, then boom right back to 2000 cal days.

Went out to dinner last weekend, and actually ended up crying over a comment about my weight, as I pigged out on cheeseburger sliders, and cheese&bacon fries. It wasn't even a rude comment, and was largely misheard by me, but still it just sent me into a mini depressed state watching all my hard work unravel.

Its 100% my own fault, and I am not really looking for help on what to do(although I will take recommendations on how to alleviate the bloating). I know what I need to do. Its the dedication to get back on track and STAY there that I am lacking.

Kinda just needed to get it off my chest.

Ugh, rant over!

I am right there with you. Was almost at the 40lb mark in less than 4 months and then BAM! In comes sabotage city. I haven't been able to get it together since my bff's bday. We went out to eat and of course there was cake and ice cream. I haven't been able to keep my eating in check ever since.

I am trying to get back to it as well, but find everyday that I start, I start great but I end the day with a massive binge. :s

Like you, I pretty much know what to do, its all about finding the willpower to stick it through to the end of the day. It's only been 3 weeks since her bday, so I am hoping I can change course today before it turns into a whole full month of going off course.

We both just have to be strong and tally through it.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt! In fact several tee-shirts. There's some excellent advice here, read it, take it and above all forgive yourself. :)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There's some great advice here, but just wanted to ask about your exercise.
    You say that you are not exercising atm, is it the home reno? too busy?

Short exercise bouts may not burn a lot of calories, but its great for putting your mind in a good place.
    A short walk, maybe a 5 minute yoga session off of you tube, whatever....It can change your focus..
  • Salifax
    Salifax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to say you're not alone in this one! I went home to visit my parents (I live abroad) at the end of June/beginning of July after 5 months of doing really well and honestly finding weighing/logging and calorie restriction easy... and now I'm struggling to get back on the train. Pumpkin Spice season doesn't help things, personally (Christmas food and the chocolate temptations then don't get me but the two months of Pumpkin Spice Lattes are a killer!) The one thing I'm really happy with though is that I'm not beating myself up about it like I would've before. A bad day or a bad run doesn't mean it'll always be this way. Everything comes in waves! It sounds like you're a bit overwhelmed and I think it's understandable you're having a hard time, but try to be kind to yourself! You're doing great! Big picture. xo
  • Dree216
    Dree216 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We All Fall Off the bandwagon sometimes, just don't give up
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! This time last year, I lost 20 lbs from August 1st to Thanksgiving. I quit smoking in January of this year and have gained 30+ lbs. at first I just told myself that it's completely normal but I stepped on the scale and went into a depressed state. Not sure how to get back on the wagon. I'm just hoping I still can!

Best of luck to you and if you need any support you can add me. :)
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I think when we set up an eating plan that feels like food jail, we want to escape it. Also, who wouldn't want to just not worry about counting?

As everyone else has said, give yourself a break. But can I just add: I bet you learned something, didn't you? I'm glad you only fell off the wagon for this long! Now, the next time you plan a vacation, you know what can happen and how to plan for it. I understand the disappointment, but maybe you had an unrealistic expectation of yourself. So your weight loss was 20 lbs total, which is small (but meaningful, likely especially for your stature) and went on a vacation of a week of not tracking. Your small weight loss was left unprotected in a wilderness of delicious food. It doesn't take much for 25 to 50 percent of your total achievement to be affected. So now you know how much you are willing to fluctuate. Maybe when you go on vacation, you give yourself 3 meals out of a week or 1 meal every few days so that your small weight loss is protected by math (3 meals a day over 3 days=9 meals. 1 meal off= 1/9 of the time off plan and 8 chances to shave some calories off to mitigate the damage.)
    Take the lesson you learned and let it sink in. Don't make yourself relearn this lesson every time you vacation and maybe this gain will be worth it in some small way. Take care!