Rhabdomyolysis: how long were you off?

Options
So, my dr thinks I have rhabdomyolosis (exercise & medication induced). I'm not allowed to run or exercise until my labs come back. If you've had this, how long were you out? Did you get it again once you started training again?

Replies

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My son had it a couple of years ago, If I recall they told him to take it easy for about 2 weeks. His numbers were sky high tho, so I don't know if that is typical for all cases. They really stressed the need for him to stay hydrated if he engages in strenuous activity in the future or it would most likely recur. He has not had any recurrences in two years. Good luck and I hope you recover quickly.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If it were severe you would be in hospital having intravenous fluid infusions until a) your (urgent) bloods came back and b) your kidney function and creatinine kinase levels returned to an acceptable level.

Likewise, with 'mild' rhabdo a person would generally be advised not to exercise until lab results were back to normal and swelling/pain in the affected muscle groups had completely resolved.

They'd probably get a big lecture about not overtraining as well.

If yours is partially medication related you should ensure you have a clear understanding of what degree of activity, under what conditions is safe for you to do.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    My husband was out for about 3 weeks when he had it, but he had no desire to work out since he felt like crap. He never got it again, but he also doesn't take the medication that likely caused it in the first place.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    If it were severe you would be in hospital having intravenous fluid infusions until a) your (urgent) bloods came back and b) your kidney function and creatinine kinase levels returned to an acceptable level.

Likewise, with 'mild' rhabdo a person would generally be advised not to exercise until lab results were back to normal and swelling/pain in the affected muscle groups had completely resolved.

They'd probably get a big lecture about not overtraining as well.

If yours is partially medication related you should ensure you have a clear understanding of what degree of activity, under what conditions is safe for you to do.

This is a really important point.
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Been 6 days tomorrow since my marathon/ rhabdomyolysis. I already had iv's and resting as much as possible with a toddler. When does the "sick" or "foggy" feeling part end? When did exercise start again?