Strengthening core and losing belly fat

Options
Hi there. I have been using the MyFitnessPal app for over 75 days now. I have been maintaining my caloric intake and and regularly active. I play college hockey and workout almost every day, usually strength workouts. My eating habits have been great and I have lost a a Goode mount of weight. But I feel like no matter what I do my stomach will never be flat. I feel like my core is strong but the excess fat is just nagging. Does anyone have any tips or advise? I feel like I'm doing everything right but am just not seeing any progress. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Fat loss requires a slight calorie deficit, and also patience.
    Fat loss can't be targeted. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth". :+1:
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is usually the last thing to go. To get rid of it, you'll need to tighten up your logging and have patience.

Are you weighing your calorie intake with a food scale? If not, consider starting.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My suggestion is to adopt or try to adopt more realistic standards for your body. As an athlete it is important that you maintain sufficient available energy (i.e. eat enough) to be able to maintain performance. Food intake that is low relative to training can result in the female athlete triad (energy deficiency, menstrual disturbances, and bone loss). Most likely, to get the sort of super-flat stomach that the media promotes as the feminine ideal, you will have to restrict calories to the point that you no longer have sufficient energy to meet your needs--especially as an athlete. Focus on what your body can do, not whether you have a stomach that is concave.

If you have questions about how you can improve body composition safely as an athlete, speaking to a registered dietitian would be the safest route.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is great link.. pretty much covers what you need to know in order to get a nice stomach..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Try this quick 5 minute ab workout, by Vicky Justiz on Youtube! I can tell you from experience if you try it 3-4 days in a row you will notice improvement on your core!!!! She's great and has lots of useful workouts that can target any area you're wanting improvement. As a mother of three I've also had struggles on the excess belly flab.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9_-uI08iw

I need a "1000 Woo" button for this one.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have lost 89 pounds and my stomach is just getting flat now. You don't say how much you need to lose but for me it was the last place I lost. I don't know why it works that way but it seems to be a genetic thing. Don't lose hope.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I am in the same boat. Typically the abdominal fat is the last to go and unfortunately it is just a matter of losing more body fat for it to look toned. While you can't spot remove fat, strengthening your core, besides all the other benefits, will allow those muscles to show once you have lost the additional body fat around your mid-section. Bottom line; you need to reduce your caloric intake and/or increase your cardio to remove that last bit of fat. Goodluck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It takes more than 75 days to lose belly fat. Are you at your goal weight yet? That's the first requirement, because you won't see a flat stomach if you aren't. There is a thread on MPF somewhere "So You Want a Nice Stomach?" You could do a search for it, or maybe someone will have a link.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Belly fat is usually the last thing to go. To get rid of it, you'll need to tighten up your logging and have patience.

Are you weighing your calorie intake with a food scale? If not, consider starting.

This, especially the part about being patient.

Not this, especially the part about, well, all of it.
    Try this quick 5 minute ab workout, by Vicky Justiz on Youtube! I can tell you from experience if you try it 3-4 days in a row you will notice improvement on your core!!!! She's great and has lots of useful workouts that can target any area you're wanting improvement. As a mother of three I've also had struggles on the excess belly flab.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    OP: If you have a strong core (and it sounds like you already do), the only way to lose belly fat and to achieve visible abs is to simply lose more weight and fat.

You can try to avoid losing too much LBM (including muscle) while still on a deficit to lose weight (which should be mostly fat) by doing heavy compound lifting (doing DLs, SQTs, OHPs & BPs is enough) which wil maintain and strengthen your core along w/everything else. There is no need to do any ab isolation exercises if you just do this.

Most men being to show abs at around 15% BF, which become more prominent at 10% and defined around 5%. 5% is what most bodybuilder competitors shoot for but it is not sustainable because that's at the lower limit of the "essential" fat necessary to maintain good health and body function. So, 10% is probably the better target.

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you get your BF% measured now and at least every 3 months hereafter to monitor your progress.

The best methods for measuring BF% are DXA and hydrostatic testing. There are other methods, like the BodPod, calipers and bioelectric devices, but they are not as easy to administer (calipers in particular) or as reliable as DXA or hydrostatic (which also have a degree of error, just less than the others).

Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

yeah that wont target fat loss,it could strengthen your core but thats about as far as it will go. and you dont see results in 3-4 days of doing any exercise. you cant target fat loss. if it worked that way everyone would work on their problem spots
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can't find it now, but I read a great article once basically saying that people generally overestimate how much effort is required for an obese person to lose fat, but underestimate how much effort is required for a person at a healthy weight to become ripped. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that you've got to go easy on yourself - getting that flat belly can be really hard work and take a really long time.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    OP there are replies to your other thread about this.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40468563#Comment_40468563
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It takes more than 75 days to lose belly fat. Are you at your goal weight yet? That's the first requirement, because you won't see a flat stomach if you aren't. There is a thread on MPF somewhere "So You Want a Nice Stomach?" You could do a search for it, or maybe someone will have a link.

It really doesn't matter what goal weight is, since flat stomach doesn't really come into play until you're at the right body fat percentage, which is around 12 for guys and I think 22 for women.