Water Weight

Options
Does drinking too much water cause water weight which setbacks your weight loss.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How is water weight setting back weight loss? Water weight is your body retaining fluid as part of your body working properly in response to things like sodium intake, exercise, etc.

Seeing a couple of extra pounds on the scale can be discouraging but it's not fat so why worry about it? It's fat you are aiming to lose, not water.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does drinking too much water cause water weight which setbacks your weight loss.

no
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

No, the first thing you will notice from drinking too much water is that you will have to pee a lot more. Beyond that, drinking too much water can dilute your system and can kill you.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Focus on fat loss, not weight loss.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Above posters are right about the water weight thing but if you are wondering what causes water weight gain, it's typically too much sodium. Sodium makes your body retain water. So if you eat some meals with a lot of salt, or often processed meals have a lot of sodium, then you might notice a few pounds of water weight the next few days. The best way to get rid of it is to have less sodium and drink a lot of water actually.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No.... drinking water does not cause water weight gain... but other varying factors do.
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tend to retain water when I have a higher carb day. If it's too uncomfortable, I go really low carb for a day or 2 and that takes care of it.