Anyone else miss fresh corduroy?

Options
2»

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I love fresh and all, but I'd even be good with soupy May leftovers at this point if it means I can be out on a mountain again.

e4t50oi3m6aq.jpg
    o2audpwztltg.jpg

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    um . . . so i take it 'corduroy' does not mean the clothes?

asking for a friend.

Have a look at the snow the guy in the first post is skiing over. Note the resemblance to corduroy pants. "Fresh corduroy" means snow that's just been groomed for cross country skiing. (You can ski on non-groomed snow too, but groomed is faster and easier, like a bike on smooth new pavement.)

The grooming of downhill slopes and cross country trails differs based on the type of skiing involved and the type of skis/boots used.

Corduroy grooming is more commonly associated w/downhill skiing. It allows the skis to flow smoothly along the hard pack and provides a predictable surface for the steel edges to bite. In downhill, gravity is what powers the skis and you mainly use foot pressure and leg position to point and turn the skis via the edges.

On the other hand, cross country skis are mainly powered by the skier him/herself - - at least on flat or uphill runs, which you seldom have to deal with in downhill. This is also why downhill boots are extremely large and stiff, ehile x-country shoes are small and flexible.

So, cross country trails are normally tracked w/2 ski wide grooves (not groomed w/narrow corduroy like grooves), as shown in the 1st pic, so that the x-skis can remain flat on the snow in position w/o wandering left/rt which allows the skier to transfer more power to push off the skis w/o wasting effort to keep them on track.

While the wax (or artifical surface) of x-country skis are designed to stick when pressure is placed on them but glide when not, downhill skis are just designed to run and not stick at all (any sticking on downhill skis will probably result in a crash/fall - not a good thing).

Poles used in downhill and x-country also differ in design and purpose.

Except in mogals or off piste, weight is not normally placed on downhill poles. They are usually shorter, lighter and primarily used as a timing device.

On the other hand, x-country poles are used to propel the skier thru the snow (or along a track) w/a pushoff performed in coordination w/the legs and skis. So, they are normally longer and heavier and studier than downhill poles.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

asking for a friend.

"Corduroy" refers to the texture of the surface of hard packed snow when groomed by machine on ski slopes, which has the parallel rowed look of corduroy.

thanks :smiley: i sort of figured it out but that initial brain derp was real.

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've only ever skied in Scotland and Pennsylvania. I've never seen this corduroy phenomenon. Can you do it to slopes of solid ice?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Gotta get my glutes into shape!! Nordic all the way!! <3<3
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Winter here means rain, mud slides, and power outages
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Live in northern California so no snow for me :,(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It doesn't snow often in Seattle, and never enough to ski in. But we have mountains nearby, and cars. :smile:

Last year I bought a season pass to Cabin Creek, and made good use of it. But it's made me appreciate the Methow with its 200+ km of groomed trails.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

asking for a friend.

Have a look at the snow the guy in the first post is skiing over. Note the resemblance to corduroy pants. "Fresh corduroy" means snow that's just been groomed for cross country skiing. (You can ski on non-groomed snow too, but groomed is faster and easier, like a bike on smooth new pavement.)

The grooming of downhill slopes and cross country trails differs based on the type of skiing involved and the type of skis/boots used.

Corduroy grooming is more commonly associated w/downhill skiing. It allows the skis to flow smoothly along the hard pack and provides a predictable surface for the steel edges to bite. In downhill, gravity is what powers the skis and you mainly use foot pressure and leg position to point and turn the skis via the edges.

On the other hand, cross country skis are mainly powered by the skier him/herself - - at least on flat or uphill runs, which you seldom have to deal with in downhill. This is also why downhill boots are extremely large and stiff, ehile x-country shoes are small and flexible.

So, cross country trails are normally tracked w/2 ski wide grooves (not groomed w/narrow corduroy like grooves), as shown in the 1st pic, so that the x-skis can remain flat on the snow in position w/o wandering left/rt which allows the skier to transfer more power to push off the skis w/o wasting effort to keep them on track.

While the wax (or artifical surface) of x-country skis are designed to stick when pressure is placed on them but glide when not, downhill skis are just designed to run and not stick at all (any sticking on downhill skis will probably result in a crash/fall - not a good thing).

Poles used in downhill and x-country also differ in design and purpose.

Except in mogals or off piste, weight is not normally placed on downhill poles. They are usually shorter, lighter and primarily used as a timing device.

On the other hand, x-country poles are used to propel the skier thru the snow (or along a track) w/a pushoff performed in coordination w/the legs and skis. So, they are normally longer and heavier and studier than downhill poles.

For Nordic, topically there's a set of tracks on the right, and then a wide skate lane that's groomed with a corduroy texture. I haven't tried skate yet, but it's in my list this winter. I usually descend in the skate lane.

I'm not at a reaching level but find it interesting. A lot of people don't was their skis to take anymore, they just double pole.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No snow for any of us if we carry on the way we are

ipcc.ch/
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No snow for any of us if we carry on the way we are

ipcc.ch/

I hear you... however, first dusting on the higher peaks this morning
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    We got some powder at Paradise, on Rainier, and in the Okanogan Highlands. It's not uncommon for the Methow trails to be open by Thanksgiving.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Been skiing here for the last week : amazing!
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats and lunges twice a week at the gym starting in September to get ready for ski season. Trips are booked to Big White, Banff/Lake Louise and Tremblant.