Hard to keep myself motivated

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Kathryn and I am 26. I have used this app multiple times in the past 3 years. Each time I only keep on track for around 3 to 6 months then I lose my motivation and just stop doing what I need to do. Every time I diet and exercise I lose around 30 to 40 pounds but gain it back relatively quick when I stop. I would love to get some new friends on here to help me keep motivated. I have a 20 month old daughter so I am doing this not just for me but for her too. She deserves to have a more active mommy. Thank you for reading.

Replies

• Parsley127
    Parsley127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathryn: My name is Wendy and I'm new here. I'm 40 years older than you are. My son is 31, and until I got pregnant I was very thin. Here's some advice...the sooner you take it off the easier it will be. Don't wait! If you have a YMCA or other fitness center nearby, think about joining. I am currently frustrated too. I had lost 22 pounds and was really on a roll a few months ago, then got very sick. In the first week I lost another 6 pounds. Then the Dr. put me on prednisone. I became an eating machine. So, I gained 18 pounds. Today I think the medication is out of my system and I'm restarting my diet. However, due to severe back issues I'm not permitted to exercise. I'm waiting for an appointment with a surgeon. I don't want to be thin and flabby! Good luck with making new lifestyle decisions and sticking to your plan.
  • AlexYachiru
    AlexYachiru Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can add me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stop dieting and start making lifestyle changes....
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Every time I diet and exercise I lose around 30 to 40 pounds but gain it back relatively quick when I stop.

Why do you stop? Do you believe that your new, lighter body can cope with your pre-diet eating habits? Because that is NOT an option.

You need to make lifestyle changes, and you need to make those changes one step at a time. Losing and maintaining weight is a long term process and requires continuous effort. Eat the foods you want but weigh EVERYTHING. You need to be reacquainted with normal portion sizes and learn what different foods offer you in terms of fuel. So you start to eat foods that satisfy your appetite more, leaving less space for the high cal/non filling foods. You can still have them, but where you would normally eat a bar of chocolate you just have two squares instead.

I've been at it for 5 months now and have lost a total of 16lbs, an average of 3.2lbs a month. It's not much, but it's sustainable. I eat everything, in moderation.
  • fitbitch6811
    fitbitch6811 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am not necessarily dieting. I eat everything that I normally eat just in smaller portions I do know that it is life style changes that need to be made. I end up stopping because I stop caring or get to busy to pay attention anymore. I was at it for 5 months this last time and had lost 30lbs.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you stop caring you are not ready. The busy argument is a red herring because if you are ready to change your life, you will find time. Apart from the fact that once you have done this tracking lark for 2 or 3 months it no longer takes time. I should know, I used to come up with the same excuses.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Everyone. My name is Christine. I have used this app in the past and found it to be very successful after losing 30 pounds. I lost track in the fall of 2013 when I started graduate school. Health concerns have motivated me to come back and to get on track. I joined the gym last week and becoming more cognitive of my eating habits. Feel free to add me and hopefully we can motivate each other.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My husband just said something to me last night that I liked: "don't make changes to achieve a goal. Make changes to improve how you're doing right now, today." Goals are great, but in moments of temptation, they go out the window. But right now, what does your body need to feel it's best?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Take away the option to stop/quit. Decide you're going to be on this path, period. And definitely do not deprive yourself of "treats" and favorite foods. Don't feel like you must do extreme workouts or even go to a gym. Commit to tracking your calories by logging and taking x minutes per day to go for a brisk walk - with your little girl in tow, if need be. You won't regret it!
  • mafcff
    mafcff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Things that allow me to persevere are reminding myself to be aware and not just brushing off going way overboard with eating. I keep telling myself, if I keep doing what I've been doing it'll just be an extra day or an extra opportunity to where I'll be set back even longer.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Motivation from other people is fleeting. The want has to come from you. Make lifestyle changes habit, and you won't need external motivation anymore.

Don't let days where you "fall off the wagon, etc..." ruin your habits. One day doesn't ruin your progress. Giving up does.
    Take away the option to stop/quit. Decide you're going to be on this path, period. And definitely do not deprive yourself of "treats" and favorite foods. Don't feel like you must do extreme workouts or even go to a gym. Commit to tracking your calories by logging and taking x minutes per day to go for a brisk walk - with your little girl in tow, if need be. You won't regret it!

Agreed!

• fitbitch6811
    Options
    I have started doing a 1 mile walk on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's after dropping my husband off at work. My daughter is always with me I push her in the stroller on those days. On Tuesday's and Thursday's I do a half mile walk with short breaks because my daughter walks with me. She is only 20 months old. I am a stay at home mom so I am trying to get out more with her.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You have to want to do it. No one can do that for you. Stop "dieting" and make it a lifestyle. "Dieting" is a bandaid.

I wake up every morning at 530am. Put my daughter in her stroller (still dark out), we walk for 45 mins. I come home and eat a healthy breakfast, leave for work, eat throughout the day 6 meals, workout after work, come home and cook for everyone. I prep all of my food on Sundays so there's no question what I'll be eating.

You can do it.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Why have you quit in the past? Why have you regressed to gaining the weight back? Are you doing things differently this time?
  • uniquejenn85
    uniquejenn85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name is Jennifer I am 32 with 3 boys and I also have a hard time staying motivated! I got a Fitbit and do the challenges everyday it's really fun and keeps me moving. Anyone feel free to add me! :)
  • fitbitch6811
    Options
    First time that I quit I lost my best friend and first love. He passed away at the age of 25. Second time I quit I had gotten pregnant. Third time I quit my dad passed away. Fourth time I am not sure why I stopped I just got lazy I guess.
  • Nhoff70
    Nhoff70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathryn! You can do this! I remember when I was 26 and was pregnant with my daughter. I wish someone had talked to me about nutrition and fitness. I would have done things differently. In the 21 years since then, I've gotten divorced (it took me 7-8 years to recover) and lost both my sisters. One to a blood clot in her leg that traveled up to her lung. She'd gained a tremendous amount of weight from meds. I was miserable all of my 30's. Since then at 44 I remarried to a wonder man who loves me and knows my struggle and has cared about me no matter what my weight. I need to lose the weight not only for myself but for him. I want to grow old with him. If I can give any advice, it's do this for you. I can remember being 130 and my first husband was unhappy with my weight. Now 43 lbs heavier I realize that I wasn't overweight, but I certainly wasn't healthy. No exercise and didn't watch what I ate. At my current weight I am more fit and more conscious of what I eat. Stay focused. The weight will follow. I know you can do this.