Anyone here homeschool?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I am! a product; of public, education Thus! I type; Good.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    texteach66 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why choosing to home school means that you have to denigrate public schools. I've taught in public schools for 25+ years and I've seen great teachers, good teachers, mediocre teachers, and very few teachers who were truly incompetent or cruel. The overwhelming majority do their very best every day to provide a good education in a nurturing environment to students with a wide variety of needs.

Most parents I know who home school do a fabulous job with their children. I think it is a great choice, especially for students who have special needs or special talents. I've also seen students who show up in my classroom having been "home schooled" who seem to have never been schooled at all.

The few good teachers can't make up for the load of BS that goes on in the system.

My kids went to a wealthier school district where my son learned that boys can wear dresses if they want.. while he was in the first grade. Talk about damage control. And they refused to accept that he was gifted. They wanted to medicate him and told me he was ADHD. Second school he attended said the same thing. He wasn't gifted, he had ADHD. Only his teacher in that school tried to fight for him because only she saw how fast he was advancing.

The principle refused to accept it and even told me that I was imagining my sons genius.. If my son was genius HE'D know it because HE was a genius. Then the AIG teacher tested my son at the end of 3rd grade.. and he beat 6th graders scores who had been in AIG since the beginning. Once they placed him in advanced classes, his "symptoms" went away.

My daughters teacher told her she was stupid and would amount to nothing.. She was helping the AIG students with their assignments because they didn't understand them. But she wasn't advanced because she was one point below the scores thanks to testing anxiety. Her scores now? She tests two to three years ahead of her grade level.

No, I'm not against public schools at all..

Yes, there are crap parents out there who only "homeschool" to prevent their kids from being influenced. My daughter has a friend her age (15) who didn't know what pemdas was or how it worked, has no idea how to solve basic pre-algebra, has a terrible vocabulary and can't write one essay. She says her mom is gone all day and leaves her and her siblings alone and they have no assignments EVER. My daughter has been teaching them online. She is the oldest she she is keeping up with my daughter now. She wanted me to create them assignments so I told her to just email hers. They actually do them..

Not all teachers are bad. My sons AIG teacher.. I wish I could bottle her and keep her. She ignored the "rules" and taught 5th graders calculus. She believed as I do. You can learn anything at any age.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    Sheesh.. all I asked for was free sites to add to my list!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Glad my kids don't go to that homeschool

So scary. This whole thread.
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    relynne wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    I'm not sure why choosing to home school means that you have to denigrate public schools. I've taught in public schools for 25+ years and I've seen great teachers, good teachers, mediocre teachers, and very few teachers who were truly incompetent or cruel. The overwhelming majority do their very best every day to provide a good education in a nurturing environment to students with a wide variety of needs.

Most parents I know who home school do a fabulous job with their children. I think it is a great choice, especially for students who have special needs or special talents. I've also seen students who show up in my classroom having been "home schooled" who seem to have never been schooled at all.

The few good teachers can't make up for the load of BS that goes on in the system.

My kids went to a wealthier school district where my son learned that boys can wear dresses if they want.. while he was in the first grade. Talk about damage control. And they refused to accept that he was gifted. They wanted to medicate him and told me he was ADHD. Second school he attended said the same thing. He wasn't gifted, he had ADHD. Only his teacher in that school tried to fight for him because only she saw how fast he was advancing.

The principle refused to accept it and even told me that I was imagining my sons genius.. If my son was genius HE'D know it because HE was a genius. Then the AIG teacher tested my son at the end of 3rd grade.. and he beat 6th graders scores who had been in AIG since the beginning. Once they placed him in advanced classes, his "symptoms" went away.

My daughters teacher told her she was stupid and would amount to nothing.. She was helping the AIG students with their assignments because they didn't understand them. But she wasn't advanced because she was one point below the scores thanks to testing anxiety. Her scores now? She tests two to three years ahead of her grade level.

Yes, there are crap parents out there who only "homeschool" to prevent their kids from being influenced. My daughter has a friend her age (15) who didn't know what pemdas was or how it worked, has no idea how to solve basic pre-algebra, has a terrible vocabulary and can't write one essay. She says her mom is gone all day and leaves her and her siblings alone and they have no assignments EVER. My daughter has been teaching them online. She is the oldest she she is keeping up with my daughter now. She wanted me to create them assignments so I told her to just email hers. They actually do them..

Not all teachers are bad. My sons AIG teacher.. I wish I could bottle her and keep her. She ignored the "rules" and taught 5th graders calculus. She believed as I do. You can learn anything at any age.

I don't know that I'd be bragging about your homeschooling skills since you used the wrong version of principal/principle. And what does it matter how a kid dresses?

Yeah... That's when I decided it wasn't worth it lol

I'm currently using all of my self-restraint in a real life situation, I didn't have any left for this post. :D
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am a schoolteacher who taught in private schools for five years before having our five children. The first two attended school for K-2, then we decided to try homeschooling for a year to deal with some somewhat minor medical issues our son was facing. We loved the experience and carried on for the next ten years. However, we have always supported our schools (our church federation has our own parochial school system) by remaining fee paying society members, volunteering at school events, participating in school functions, etc. So we are definitely not anti-school.

Having grown up in a Christian home with private schooling, I have no first-hand experience with the public system, but I must admit it saddens me to read such overly harsh criticism from my fellow home schoolers. I really feel the accusations are painted with hugely broad strokes and are mostly unwarranted, and shed a really negative light on home schoolers. I believe the majority of public school teachers (I have met many) have a true love for their students and their profession. We have to be honest and self-evaluative and recognize that in all school / parent interactions, there is a two-way street. I've been on both sides of the equation, and both personalities involved bear equal responsibility for how the interaction proceeds.

Last year, due to many ongoing changes in our business and some personal family difficulties, we chose to send our kids back to school. They entered in grades 4/6/9/11/12 and did fabulously! Our dyslexic son achieved almost all Bs, our middle child is pulling straight As and makes honour roll each semester, and we have received nothing but praise for their kindness, gentleness, politeness, and work ethic. I have a very difficult time believing that any "study" demonstrating a lack of socialization, introversion, and lack of persistence in home schooled children was done within the last 15 years. There are soooo many homeschooling organizations out there now - - we were part of a huge group with which we did Art, ballet, gymnastics, swimming lessons, track and field, drama, music, even graduation ceremonies, over the ten years! Our kids experienced real-life socialization every day with people outside of their age, gender, social, and economic circles while doing errands with me, helping me with photo shoots, driving to the quarry or a job site with Dad - - something that students in a classroom with a group of peers do not get to experience on a regular basis usually until much later on. My experience with home schoolers was certainly never what that "study" determined.

To the OP, my kids love the math program Prodigy for some fun practice, and Spelling City is great too. As a language major, I love Duolingo!

Oh, and now that my kids are back in school, I am too -- substitute teaching about 3 days a week, everything from K-8, and loving it! :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm an educator.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    Sheesh.. all I asked for was free sites to add to my list!

No you didn't! You went via asking, to bragging, to defending, to preaching, to insulting & now to denial, of your own bullying & playing, the victim card!

And you..what? Chose to ignore the sequence of events that led to my defense of homeschooling? Had my decision to homeschool not been attacked, and the only commenters had been other homeschoolers with lists I asked for and not opinionated nosy haters who felt inclined to defend their choice to public school when the topic wasn't a debate, the thread would have remained purely link related.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    relynne wrote: »

I don't know that I'd be bragging about your homeschooling skills since you used the wrong version of principal/principle. And what does it matter how a kid dresses?

You really focused on one word? Did you skim my posts to look for something to use against me and found I misspelled a word? GJ! Gold star for you! :lol:
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    A study was done on children who were homeschooled. The results were that the majority were unsocialized, introverted and lacked persistence. The one major pro I remember was they tested higher. So to say there are no cons is incorrect. You need to keep said factors in mind before making such a big decision.

How old is this study? What demographic was it focusing on? How many participants in this study? Age group?

How is a child more socialized sitting with similar aged children in an environment that requires them to sit quietly and listen almost the entire time they are there with only an hour of break in between? And part of that break being taken up by lunch?

Homeschooled children are far more socialized and with a wider range of age groups from infancy to the elderly. This idea that they are recluses is ridiculous. This may have been the case 20 years ago, and CERTAINLY was the case in pioneer days (they turned out just fine), but today, there are so many activities and events to involve children in, that the average homeschooler is actually more adjusted socially and are more responsible and respectful compared to their public schooled counter parts.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    cjv73 wrote: »
    I am a schoolteacher who taught in private schools for five years before having our five children. The first two attended school for K-2, then we decided to try homeschooling for a year to deal with some somewhat minor medical issues our son was facing. We loved the experience and carried on for the next ten years. However, we have always supported our schools (our church federation has our own parochial school system) by remaining fee paying society members, volunteering at school events, participating in school functions, etc. So we are definitely not anti-school.

Having grown up in a Christian home with private schooling, I have no first-hand experience with the public system, but I must admit it saddens me to read such overly harsh criticism from my fellow home schoolers. I really feel the accusations are painted with hugely broad strokes and are mostly unwarranted, and shed a really negative light on home schoolers. I believe the majority of public school teachers (I have met many) have a true love for their students and their profession. We have to be honest and self-evaluative and recognize that in all school / parent interactions, there is a two-way street. I've been on both sides of the equation, and both personalities involved bear equal responsibility for how the interaction proceeds.

Last year, due to many ongoing changes in our business and some personal family difficulties, we chose to send our kids back to school. They entered in grades 4/6/9/11/12 and did fabulously! Our dyslexic son achieved almost all Bs, our middle child is pulling straight As and makes honour roll each semester, and we have received nothing but praise for their kindness, gentleness, politeness, and work ethic. I have a very difficult time believing that any "study" demonstrating a lack of socialization, introversion, and lack of persistence in home schooled children was done within the last 15 years. There are soooo many homeschooling organizations out there now - - we were part of a huge group with which we did Art, ballet, gymnastics, swimming lessons, track and field, drama, music, even graduation ceremonies, over the ten years! Our kids experienced real-life socialization every day with people outside of their age, gender, social, and economic circles while doing errands with me, helping me with photo shoots, driving to the quarry or a job site with Dad - - something that students in a classroom with a group of peers do not get to experience on a regular basis usually until much later on. My experience with home schoolers was certainly never what that "study" determined.

To the OP, my kids love the math program Prodigy for some fun practice, and Spelling City is great too. As a language major, I love Duolingo!

Oh, and now that my kids are back in school, I am too -- substitute teaching about 3 days a week, everything from K-8, and loving it! :)

I do not lump private schools in with government funded public schools. Though my kids did have ONE good experience at a certain public school that actually went against the current laws and taped up bible verses and Christian quotes all over the school.

They believed in pushing kids to achieve more than just their grade level. The school was 90% welfare, in an area that once had the lowest test scores and proved every statistic correct when poverty class citizens tested far below acceptable standards when compared to the rest of the nation.

That school opened and by the end of year, the school tested the highest in the area. They also had the best AIG program and were the first to recognize my kids gifts. But sadly it only went up to the 5th grade or I probably would have kept them in public school. It behaved more like a private school. I think the PRINCIPAL said she was private schooled.

Thank you, I'll look up prodigy.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    A study was done on children who were homeschooled. The results were that the majority were unsocialized, introverted and lacked persistence. The one major pro I remember was they tested higher. So to say there are no cons is incorrect. You need to keep said factors in mind before making such a big decision.

How old is this study? What demographic was it focusing on? How many participants in this study? Age group?

How is a child more socialized sitting with similar aged children in an environment that requires them to sit quietly and listen almost the entire time they are there with only an hour of break in between? And part of that break being taken up by lunch?

Homeschooled children are far more socialized and with a wider range of age groups from infancy to the elderly. This idea that they are recluses is ridiculous. This may have been the case 20 years ago, and CERTAINLY was the case in pioneer days (they turned out just fine), but today, there are so many activities and events to involve children in, that the average homeschooler is actually more adjusted socially and are more responsible and respectful compared to their public schooled counter parts.

Source?

Source: Professional homeschool parent of two successful teens and an advanced nephew.

Source: every homeschool event they attend.

Source: Co-op students they interact with.

Source: College administrators who get excited when I tell them my son was homeschooled and brag about how every homeschooled adult that attends their college participates in more campus activities and received higher honors.

Last one is the bigggest source. Colleges LOVE homeschoolers.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've been homeschooled, Christian schooled, and public schooled ...I turned out great!

Can we take a vote?

(And by voting, I mean just the guys #SufferageWasWrong #MrsBanksMessedUp)
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess if a person asks for information here THEN are asked questions why they do it THEN when they reply with their own opinion, that goes against the grain, they are attacked for said opinion...... Oh wait this is MFP, my bad, as long as the opinion is liberal than they are embraced. Carry on
  • GlassAngyl
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://college.usatoday.com/2012/02/18/do-home-schoolers-do-better-in-college-than-traditional-students/

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/30/home-schooling-outstanding-results-national-tests/

I found you two reputable NON-Wikipedia sites for you to peruse. (That means, "to examin.")

And since the study was done involving 12,000 home schooled children from all 50 states, you can be assured that it wasn't just some back yard ho-down get together who came up with these results. My daughter tests in the 93rd percentile and my son in the 96th percentile.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a household with two educators (5th grade mom, and high school dad) the learning never stopped even when I hopped off the bus from school. My mom would help find us fun things to do that were also educational, and one of the things I enjoyed the most as a kid was the PBS show Liberty's Kids. It is a good 'glue' that helps stick together U.S history knowledge, namely around the revolution. Its super interesting too, I even rewatched it as an adult! I hope that's an okay suggestion!
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    I didn't have to curse once though for it to ruffle your feathers. Heck, you anti-homeschoolers get your panties in a twist over someone using alternative schooling on their own children.