Love running but scared to lose muscle...

Options
Lately, I've cut down on lifting and started running more just because I find it more enjoyable. I used to lift 4 times a week and now more like twice a week. (one upper body day and one lower body day) I run 4 miles about 3 times a week on the days I don't lift. I'm only getting about .6-.8 grams/body weight of protein per day so not that much and in a weight loss deficit of about 300-400/day. Will I lose muscle by doing this type of weekly workout routine? I'm not sure how the process of losing muscle occurs and would like to keep as much on!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    one upper body day and one lower body day
    That's not going to achieve much, you are only hitting each muscle group once a week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Definitely go full body instead of upper/lower splits. Compounds lifts. Push it up 3 days a week if you can and you'd be set.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Full body 2 x a week would probably be better.

Ive done full body workouts but they take so damn long!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've cut down on lifting and started running more just because I find it more enjoyable. I used to lift 4 times a week and now more like twice a week. (one upper body day and one lower body day) I run 4 miles about 3 times a week on the days I don't lift. I'm only getting about .6-.8 grams/body weight of protein per day so not that much and in a weight loss deficit of about 300-400/day. Will I lose muscle by doing this type of weekly workout routine? I'm not sure how the process of losing muscle occurs and would like to keep as much on!

•Like everyone else said - switch to full body and 2-3 days/wk should be fine.
    • Check your protein against the recommended amount. If you are close to your goal weight, 0.6-0.8 g/lb might be a bit low, and you may want to up that some. (I think the typical recommended is 0.8-1 g/ either lean body mass or ideal weight (I can't remember which).
    • Eat back your running calories. As long as you do that, I doubt the running would have a negative impact compared to before.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lyle McDonald has written that it usually takes about 1/3 of what got you there to maintain it.
    As long as intensity is kept.
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

"Let’s say you’ve just finished a hypertrophy phase where you were training to gain muscle. On average let’s say that you were performing 6 heavy sets of 6-8 repetitions per muscle group twice per week (say an upper/lower split as discussed in my article on Training Frequency for Mass Gains).
    Based on the 2/3rds rule, you could conceivably cut back to 2 heavy sets of 6-8 reps (maintaining the same weights you finished the cycle with to the best of your ability) once per week and maintain your strength and size. That is, both volume (6 sets becomes 2 sets) and frequency (2 workouts becomes 1 workout) can be reduce by 2/3rds but ONLY if intensity (weight on the bar) is maintained."
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's not going to achieve much, you are only hitting each muscle group once a week.

A push pull legs split would only be hitting each muscle group once a week though too...Would that routine not work?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

They don't need too, maybe you were trying to fit in too many exercises. what program did you follow?

You could try starting strength and run it 2 days/week, or check out PHUL and run it 2 days instead of the 3-4 it calls for.

You are getting enough protein. I usually push for 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, so 0.6-0.8 of current weight would suffice. and only running 12 miles a week should not hurt you, or make you lose lean muscle. Many people are fine running 30+ miles/week, you just have to adequately fuel your workouts and recovery.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

My full body routine only takes about 30min.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I crossfit and run 6 days a week during summer months...just make sure you are eatting enough especially carbs and you will be fine.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

A push pull legs split would only be hitting each muscle group once a week though too...Would that routine not work?

Too much bro-science and too many Weider disciples out there. Unless you are a competitive body builder, a simple full body routine that includes primarily compound lifts is more than enough.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I run 4 miles about 3 times a week on the days I don't lift.

12 miles per week is not going to affect your muscle mass.

You're overcomplicating things
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, but it doesn't take much to MAINTAIN muscle if you are not in a caloric deficit. Something like hitting each muscle group once every 1-2 weeks was tested and it was adequate for muscle maintenance. Now if you wish to GAIN muscle or you're in the 60+ age bracket, that may not be enough. If I find the study I'll be back with it.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Try running and lifting every other day and only one rest day. I agree with full body training every workout as well. Try supersets or even giant sets to hit the entire body and still get done within an hour. Here is a circuits that I do when I lift. Now you can choose whatever workouts you like of course this is just an example. Feel free to try this one out if you like.

Set 1

Dumbbell curls
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell front squat

Complete 10-15 reps for each workout and don't drop the weights until you have completed all three workouts. Rest no more than 1 minute and go again. I like to a minimum of 4 sets.

Set 2

Dumbbell kickbacks
    Dumbbell rows
    Hamstring kickbacks

Set 3

Chest to floor pushup
    Planks
    Mountain climbers

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!!!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone can really speak meaningfully about how fast you will or won't lose muscle (though I will be going back and reading that Lyle article someone linked to). But you can stack the cards in your favor, and most of the suggestions you've received will do just that.

Lift to compliment your running. There's no reason a full body workout needs to take forever; you should be able to put in a good workout in 30-45 minutes. Personally, I'd hit upper body 2x week and lower body 1x week (2x would be better if your body can handle it with the running). Focus on bigger movements, not isoloation lifts - squats, deads, lunges... bench, row, press, dip, pullup.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try running and lifting every other day and only one rest day. I agree with full body training every workout as well. Try supersets or even giant sets to hit the entire body and still get done within an hour. Here is a circuits that I do when I lift. Now you can choose whatever workouts you like of course this is just an example. Feel free to try this one out if you like.

Set 1

Dumbbell curls
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell front squat

Complete 10-15 reps for each workout and don't drop the weights until you have completed all three workouts. Rest no more than 1 minute and go again. I like to a minimum of 4 sets.

Set 2

Dumbbell kickbacks
    Dumbbell rows
    Hamstring kickbacks

Set 3

Chest to floor pushup
    Planks
    Mountain climbers

I would try to focus on compound lifts more than these this workout, most of the above are isolation lifts (other than rows, shoulder press, pushups, and squats). Also if you are supersetting, do the compound lifts first, not after isolations.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in and agree with the person who said you are overthinking this.
    Running a bit is not going to make you lose muscle.
    Lifting less than you used to might. Not eating enough might.
    But, just like lifters do not get big and bulky without working pretty hard at doing just that, runners don't become stick people without really trying, hard.
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't make you lose muscle, maybe if you start doing regular 10+ mile distances, or it becomes your only exercise. Just do not run right after a strength workout if you priority is strength you should rest right after. If you like it, do it. Arnold used to run 3 to 5 miles every lunch hour on weekdays, often joined by Franco Columbo. Both much bigger then most of us could ever be.