Water

Options
I know water is super good for you, I know this. From your experience though, does it help you actually lose weight? How much of a difference does it make? I don’t log my water because I drink maybe a total of 8oz a day which is NOTHING. And no, I don’t replace it with other drinks, I don’t drink anything. I drink about 8oz or water and 16oz of coffee daily. I know that’s terrible for my health. I want to know how it could benefit me if I drink a hell of a lot more. Please, experiences? I just want to know if it could help with weight loss. Don’t scold me too hard lol thank you!

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    not sure how to respond other then sufficient water helps with any goal in numerous and critical ways. In a deficit it helps me fight pangs and hunger but that's just a small thing compared to its over necessity
  • michellehjohnson14
    Options
    Drinking a ton of water helps keep me filled up feeling so I don't eat as many calories. I drink about 100 oz a day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I think I'm hungry I'm actually thirsty. In the AM I feel hungry but the urge to eat goes away after a cup of tea.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    At this point, drink more of anything. You may wind up with bigger issues than weight. That said, some people feel that drinking more helps control their appetite. Just make sure to control for calories. Where appetite control is concerned, taking calories away from food and giving them to beverages may not be helpful.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of juicy fruits and veggies and soups, you might not need as much water because you're getting water from foods.

But there are a few reasons to drink more:
    1. A lot of people say that once they start making themselves drink more water, they start to experience, or rather recognize thirst throughout the day. When they start to crave water, it becomes easy to drink more.
    2. It's great for your complexion!
    3. It's good for your organs - especially liver and kidney. Your liver has a big job to do during weight loss, so it's good to take care of it.
    4. Some studies indicate that it helps women metabolize carbs a bit faster. (Some studies do not show this) But anything that's good for overall health should support a healthy metabolism, I would think.

Experiment with what makes water more palatable for you. Adding ice, using a filtration system, using a certain glass or straw, a squeeze of lemon or a splash of cranberry juice, a few drops of flavored stevia or a bit of monk fruit, herbal tea, whatever it takes to make water more pleasant for you to drink.

I have a weird thing I do when I'm trying to develop a new habit: I tie it to brushing my teeth (something I would NEVER skip doing!) So if I'm trying to drink more water, I would make myself do it before brushing my teeth.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    my best friend never drank water. just a coke zero and coffee. I recently figured that for him, it's a convenience thing so once I bought him a case of water to throw in the fridge he actually started drinking water. just an idea. but definitely increase your intake, kidneys will thank you
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For me, it helps in two ways: First, it's really, really easy to mistake thirst for hunger. I often find that if I drink a glass of water, my "hunger" goes away. Second, it legitimately does take up room in the stomach, which can help me eat a bit less.
    But ultimately, it just makes me feel better. My skin feels better, my lips don't get as chapped, I tend to be more...ahem...regular.
    It's really good for you in so many ways. And there are so many different ways to flavor water, you can even get it carbonated and flavored. Just keep trying different kinds until you find something you like!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    For me it's a psychological thing: if I drink the right amount of water, it leads to feeling healthier. That feeling causes me to make healthier food choices and exercise more. Over time this results in a healthier body. And it all starts because I had a couple glasses of water every day.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Does drinking water help lose weight? In some ways maybe, if you're replacing a high calorie drink with it or if you're drinking more of it after a high sodium day (or days). For example I went out this weekend and ate some salty foods and weighed in on Monday at the same weight I was last week. Drank my usual amount of water and tea, 80 or so ounces, and today I had "lost" a pound. Was it the water? No, it was the fact that I ate under my calories everyday the week before.

Water is important for overall health regardless of weight loss so you should probably consider drinking more.