Alcohol calories

Options
One of the reasons I put on a stone this year was that I started drinking more at the weekends - at the same time I retired from a sport that took up a lot of my weekend! I'm just back from holiday, so I'm having a break from booze and getting back to calorie counting. I'm not finding sticking to my calorie allowance each day too bad, and I exercise a few times a week.

How does everyone moderate their drinking? Do you plan with a deficit during the week or cut something else out on days you know you'll have a drink? I don't want to be teetotal but I'd like to allow myself a drink once a week at least.

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Have a plan. Stick to the plan. Maintain the deficit. Log everything.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I cut way down on alcohol when I'm trying to shed pounds that crept up. If I do drink, I tend to gin and diet tonic, and alternate with some diet soda. Bonus: fewer hangovers (I get my worst ones from wine or beer anyway).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I allow myself wine on the days I work out at the pool.
  • Shazbotxo
    Shazbotxo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Earlnabby good idea! Maybe an extra gym visit so I can have some wine on a Friday.

Staticsplit this my first dry weekend in a while and it's been nice to wake up feeling refreshed!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I just make sure any drinks I want fit into my calorie goals.
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just eat at a regular deficit and have my drinks put me up to maintenance. If you don't mind losing weight a bit slower then you can do this. Being at maintenance calories on some days can be refreshing.