food & exercise

Options
from how i've been going along with things, i have been eating a low amount of calories and burning all the calories i intake during the day.

for example: i eat approximately 1000 calories a day, so i go to the gym and burn off 1000 calories, if not more...usually say 500 in the morning and then 500 at night.

is this unhealthy and if so what is a better way to go about it?

i drink an insane amount of water so i'm always hydrated.

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    from how i've been going along with things, i have been eating a low amount of calories and burning all the calories i intake during the day.

for example: i eat approximately 1000 calories a day, so i go to the gym and burn off 1000 calories, if not more...usually say 500 in the morning and then 500 at night.

is this unhealthy and if so what is a better way to go about it?

i drink an insane amount of water so i'm always hydrated.

1,000 calories is all you consume? If so, then I'd say you're definitely too low for your weight. I'd guess that you're at least closer to 1400 per day if not a little more.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Um. It's very unhealthy.

You should NET at least 1200 calories. That means, that AFTER exercise, you should have 1200 calories in your body at least. You probably need more because you're exercising. If you put 1 gallon of gas in your car, you can't go any further than that 1 gallon can take you. If you want to go farther you need more gas. Food is gas. If you don't get enough, your body will shut down. Please eat more.

If you let MFP decide how much you should eat, then just do what it says and eat that much. If you're manually entering your goals, then you're not letting the website work for you. You're working against it and against your body.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    thats really unhealthy....you are netting ZERO and your metabolism is going to crawl at a snails pace....keep in mind, starvation mode is under 1200 calories <3
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Um. It's very unhealthy.

You should NET at least 1200 calories. That means, that AFTER exercise, you should have 1200 calories in your body at least. You probably need more because you're exercising. If you put 1 gallon of gas in your car, you can't go any further than that 1 gallon can take you. If you want to go farther you need more gas. Food is gas. If you don't get enough, your body will shut down. Please eat more.

If you let MFP decide how much you should eat, then just do what it says and eat that much. If you're manually entering your goals, then you're not letting the website work for you. You're working against it and against your body.

I really didn't use that gas analogy properly. What I meant to say is that exercising away everything you eat and expecting to be healthy is like expecting your car to run 20 miles after you've run out of gas. It's not possible.
  • gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options
    the 1000 calories was just an example.
    for me it ranges between 1200 to 1500 calories a day. but i go to the gym day and night.
    it was more about burning off the amount of calories i eat.

i tend to eat a lot and then i feel guilty after and go to the gym.

i guess i just need some advice on a good way to go about it without hurting myself (starvation mode and metabolism and all that)