Three days in ... surprise

Options
It's the sugar - not the foods that I am eating that is to blame for the weight gain.
In fact, I don't eat enough. (And I don't think I could ever eat more meals to get the daily recommended nutrients.) Also, I very rarely feel hungry, I get lightheaded instead.
Anyone else have this issue? What did you do?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you need more data. No one gets fat by under eating.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating too many calories will cause weight gain. Whether it's calories from carbs, fat or proteins. Including sugar.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause weight gain. Too many calories causes weight gain. If you're gaining weight, you're eating too many calories, simple as that.
  • neighborhoodwatchhc
    Options
    Too many cals from sugar is what did it: soda, candy, cake, pie. If I didn't eat the sugary stuff in addition to what I normally eat, I wouldn't be here. Oh well, lesson learned.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Learning never stops. It's a blessing that sometimes hurts our pride.

Real food is harder to overeat than junk.
    When starting out losing weight, we often tend to ignore feelings of hunger or other discomfort.
    But there is no reason why you should be more hungry or down when you eat just what you need. Healthy weightloss is eating enough to sustain you, just little enough to let you tap into your fat reserves.
    Hunger can take many forms. Lightheadedness is most likely hunger. Learning about hunger, satiety, appetite and cravings is very useful.

You have gained weight by taking in too many calories over time, not by eating any praticular foods.
    What you normally ate included soda, candy, cake, pie, and added up too many calories in total.
    Many of those foods are richer in starch and fat than in sugar. Calories in sugar aren't more "fattening" than calories in fat, starch, protein or alcohol.
    It is good that you have a perception of a "normal" diet. That is something you can return to, and it will help you lose and maintain weight. Most people can't eat a lot of junk and stay healthy and normal weight.

I was overweight too. I changed that by eating less. I managed to continue doing that by eating better in addition to eating less. I managed that by investigating how I could eat better without feeling that I was missing out.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to a position of needing to lose weight by consistently eating too few calories.

Eat more calorie dense foods.

the poster didn't say they ate too few calories but rather that they didn't eat much but that it was high in sugar

my Mum says this all the time 'why am i fat, i don't eat much'

however, she won't take note of the fact that her foods are high in calories because they're high in sugar
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar - not the foods that I am eating that is to blame for the weight gain.
    In fact, I don't eat enough. (And I don't think I could ever eat more meals to get the daily recommended nutrients.) Also, I very rarely feel hungry, I get lightheaded instead.
    Anyone else have this issue? What did you do?

making foods from fresh, quite often the problem is processed foods
    like tomato soup in a can...looks tiny but really high in sugar...however home made soup wouldn't suffer the same problem
    you just need to swap the sugar for meals
    plus we all tend to think we need to eat more food than we do, i've finally realised that portions should be much smaller than i'm used to, which is why weighing is so important
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Too many cals from sugar is what did it: soda, candy, cake, pie. If I didn't eat the sugary stuff in addition to what I normally eat, I wouldn't be here. Oh well, lesson learned.

The calories in the sugary food that you ate in addition to the other stuff took you over maintenance calories, and that's why you gained weight. If you had been eating anything else over your maintenance calories, you still would have gained weight.

But if cutting out the sugary treats helps you drop below maintenance and lose weight, go for it.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

no, no its not. its the number of calories that make you gain weight.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    there are some really critical responses here to someone who has made a discovery about their previous dietary habits and is looking for some advice on how to move forward! change takes time op and as long as you are prepared for the process you will find out what works for you. My fitness pal is a really useful tool in that respect as it allows you to track sugar protein etc. My suggestion to you to combat the light headedness would be to make sure that you are eating sufficient protein (timed regularly), slow release carbohydrates and also not going to heavy on the exercise or calorie deficit. lower sugar foods like oats, wholegrain breads, low glycaemic index fruits etc...