Muscle vs. Fat - this image says it all.

Options
Someone posted this picture recently, and i think it deserves more attention.

REMEMBER that (by volume) Muscle weighs more than fat! (again, I will say BY VOLUME)

Most of us has tried to incorporate some exercise into our daily routine. YAY US! This means we are building muscle..That is great for many reasons, some of which are:

• Muscle looks smoother, healthier and better than fat (see below)
• Muscle burns calories/fat at rest, so you can rest assured you are healthier even when you are being lazy!
• You are stronger!!

BUT, as i said before...(by volume) Muscle weighs more than fat! Try not to get discouraged (especially if you don't have very much to lose!) because no change on the scale does NOT reflect your progress!!! Even inches can't be totally reliable, you have to go by how you feel. i.e. My thighs are now the same inches around as when i started, but before they jiggled, and now they barely do! THIS is great!!

m3hfau9y.jpg

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! Makes my strength training all the much easier to motivate myself to do
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    That picture is absolutely disgusting...and very motivating!!! Thanks! ;)
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    This was so inspiring to read, especially since being on a 4 week plateau. thank you
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ugh. just knowing there's fat in my body that looks like that makes me want to puke. and exercise.
  • waterjogger
    Options
    WOW!!! I've lost 10 of the fat ones-makes it all the more motivating when you see them side by side that way!!!:bigsmile:
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    wow... the picture says it all...very assuring
  • Epimoni87
    Epimoni87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great visual! Thanks!
  • nomnomgal
    Options
    Thanks for that! Really looking forward to getting rid of that stuff in my thighs! Stop jiggling I say!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Never seen a rubber image of muscle before, very nice comparison!!! I better get my butt moving!
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    Wow this makes a lot of sense. I was getting discouraged and now I'm looking at my body differently now. I do notice that my double chin is getting smaller and my legs don't jiggle anymore. Actually, I have muscle tone in my calfs. :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yup, it's pretty mind blowing to see it right there before your eyes.

On another note, did you know that 1 8oz glass of water weighs a half a pound?! That means that by just drinking one bottle of water (or a tall glass) that you have gained 1 pound in water weight. Keep this in mind when you weigh yourself...there's lots of food and water in there that account for several of your pounds. I try to always weigh in the morning after the potty but before breakfast to get a good idea of my 'baseline'
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • jillyo89
    jillyo89 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ok now that was encouraging! I will keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    bump :)
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    bumping for the 'after work-ers"