Weight gain OCP 'the pill''

Options
Hello all,

I have gained 11 pounds since starting ocp ( the pill) last month.
My appetitie has definatley increased although I am trying very hard to eat healthy but find myself hungry all the time.

I am exercising 4 times a week mixture of cardio, core strength and back strengthing exercises but this amount of weight gain is so upsetting!

I have now stretch marks on my buttocks from the rapid weight gain.......my breasts have def increased also. Some of this weight gain has to be fluid retention? .I'm hoping! I could never have consumed enough calories to contribute to 11lbs weight gain!

I'm quite upset over this, but will continue at the gym and with my 'healthy' eating (try to avoid the jaffa cake cravings at night!).

I was wondering if any one else has had an experience like this.....in relation to Starting the pill..or if it is related. What I would really like to know is if this is Temporary.and will my body settle back after the 'hormones' become more balanced.

I also gave up cigarettes in March and now finished nicotine replacement so that is another reason I am hungry ALL THE TIME!!!

Many thanks!..........sorry if I sound very moany but it feels good to have a vent! Family/Friends....don't want to bore them!

Replies

• gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    that's a significant weight gain. you might want to talk to your doctor about trying a different pill. that just sounds crazy.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    If I had to render a guess (and this is entirely a stab in the dark), I'd say the weight gain is from quitting smoking, more than going on the pill. I think weight gain with the pill isn't that drastic (I didn't notice any weight gain when I got on it), but it could affect everyone differently. However, since you've now finished the nicotine replacement and are done smoking (congratulations!), it's probably more related to that since nicotine is an appetite suppressant.

Just keep eating healthy with lots of good foods, work hard, count calories, and be aware of what you eat. Exercise as often as you can.

Good luck!
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    Iv been on cerazetta for just over 3 months and when i started i was terrified of putting on more weight as thats a normal side affect but im pleased to say it hasnt happened so maybe see about changing your pill or using contraception that doesnt use hormones like a coil?

good luck! x
  • Selin4
    Selin4 Posts: 15
    Options
    It is defo the pill when I was at my fitest about a year before pregnancy my diet and exercise regime was constant and as soon as I went on the pil I was hungry all the time and no matter what I ate it wasn't enough in the end I came off itnas I gained 7lbs in a month!!!
  • qwertybride
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies, it's good to share with others and get other peoples opinions also.

I am beginning to think it is defintley a combintion of :

1. starting the ocp
    2. coming off nicotine after quit smoking

= lower metabolism + increase appetite + fluid retention! (11 POUNDS WEIGHT GAIN!!!)

Just back from gym....ate well so far today....will hopefully stay way from the Jafa Cakes tonight ;-)
    Going to stick at the pill for another cycle or so and fingers crossed...........hormones etc will settle down.

On a positive note...My ACNE has vanished and skin looks great!!!!
  • tamischieffler
    Options
    Oh my goodness!!!! You sound just like me. I quit smoking and got on the nuva-ring about a month ago. I've gained 15 pounds in ONE MONTH!!!!! So, being that it was around the same time I didn't know which was to blame. I took the ring out the other day for other reasons and I haven't put the patch on yet (waiting to see if my appetite changes). Well, since the hormones are pretty much out of my body now (about 3 days it's been) I must say, I feel so much better. I don't feel so ravenous all the time. I feel like I'm in control again. So, for me, I'll say it was the birth control. I just don't know what to do now. I need the birth control without the weight gain....lol!!! I'm just going to start working out twice a day then put the patch on in a few weeks and hopefully I won't slip back into the twilight zone again!!! Good luck
  • writinmama
    Options
    I do the same thing on the pill. I tried to go on it a few months ago and I gained 10 pounds right off...it was awful and I felt terrible. Moody, sluggish, slow and HUNGRY! I tried a different pill and a diuretic. It didn't help, so I finally I sat down with the doc and he said that honestly some people just can't handle the pill and some of us gain weight and other's don't. I'm one who does, so he took me off. I immediately felt SO much better. I literally felt as if the world had been lifted from my shoulders and I dropped 5 lbs immediately. Good luck and I hope that you find a solution. :)