Mexican restaurant...

Options
In going out to eat at our local Mexican restaurant today. What are some of your favorite low calorie options? And what are the calories you estimate them to be?

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I just ate at a Mexican restaurant yesterday for a work lunch. I got the lunch portion (guess smaller than dinner) of chicken fajitas. I ate the chicken, onions, peppers, pico, rice and refried beans (should have ate less of the rice and beans). I did not eat the tortillas. WHEN I go back I'll order twice the chicken and tell them to not give me the rice (I love the beans more so just 1 serving of beans). Oh and resist the chips before hand, or keep the consumption down to 10 or less with salsa.

For my lunch I believe I put in my diary 850 calories to be on the safe side. If I would have eaten less rice and resisted the chips it would be far less I'm sure.
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The chicken tortilla soup, assuming it's brothy and not creamy, is my go-to.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Get chicken fajitas and split it with someone. Chances are, the portion will be huge.

For your plate-

Hold open your hand and estimate the amount of chicken that would fit in your palm, without stacking or piling pieces. It's probably about 4 oz chicken. We'll guess 170 for calories to take into account oil and butter.

If the veggies are grilled, double the amount of chicken you had, and use this amount of veggies. I always say 100 for veggies that have been cooked.

Each corn tortilla is likely around 80 cals if they are store-bought. If they are homemade, it's a different story.

So chicken, veggies and 1 tortilla would be about 350.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I usually get some kind of fajita with no rice, beans or tortillas and a side of vegetables.
  • holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!