Thoughts on BODY PUMP & BODY COMBAT

Options
I've been rockin both! Weight still seems to be coming off :) How do you guys like the classes?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I used to do them.... They were great when I was a gym newbie, not much idea, and not much drive to workout in the weights room, and less inclination to do cardio for prolonged periods.

They don't really suit my goals or workout style now...

Your weight is coming off from calorie deficit. The classes will help, and increase fitness and if you enjoy them, that's all that matters!
  • Susiec1302
    Susiec1302 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you enter them into your exercise log? It's asking me for sets and reps.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Susiec1302 wrote: »
    How do you enter them into your exercise log? It's asking me for sets and reps.

I use this entry for Body Pump under Cardio, but my gym doesn't offer Combat, so I'm not sure as to that one: Les Mills BODYPUMP™. I usually don't enter the full 60 minutes, since I assume the estimate is probably over-inflated.

I still go to Body Pump once a week, but I'm losing enthusiasm. I liked it more about 10 releases or so ago when there wasn't so much pulsing and when there was typically a built-in break in the tracks. I developed bicep tendonitis and my Doctors all seem to agree the high reps in Pump are the culprit, so I've had to take it a lot easier. If/when you increase weights, listen to your body and be safe!
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to do them.... They were great when I was a gym newbie, not much idea, and not much drive to workout in the weights room, and less inclination to do cardio for prolonged periods.

They don't really suit my goals or workout style now...

Your weight is coming off from calorie deficit. The classes will help, and increase fitness and if you enjoy them, that's all that matters!

Makes sense! Thanks! Im doing them with co workers so its like a fun social after work thing, but on top of those classes I will still hit the stair machine and weight machines around the gym.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Big fan of both , instructor quality has big bearing. Have built up good circle of friends at classes. Technique more important than weight in pump. Love combat, real stress reliever. Not so keen on attack, aerobics on speed .....
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love body combat my instructor is bouncing energetic and pushes me even though my body is screaming. It is generally not pretty no matter how pink and jazzy my outfit is. I like it it's linear and if things repeat themselves which means overtime I'll get better. Regarding body pump I've done it twice, and I am not a fan. I i'm scared to push too hard and it seems very repetitive which from my body means that all aggravate old stuff or start new stuff. But it is a valuable class if you can deal with it just being so basic up down up down.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've done the equivalent "pump" "boxfit" "step" "bat" found them all a good workout and fun. After switching to a martial art... I can't bring myself to go to a boxfit class anymore!
    If you like the combat style classes you might enjoy a martial art. I recommend muay thai as it works the whole body. Some gyms offer several styles and have weights, treadmills etc as a whole package, ours even does a circuit on a Saturday.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just got home from my first body pump class in 6 years and I can tell I'll feel it I. The morning. It was fun and I didn't do as badly as I thought I might. Think I'll add it into my week for now. I love to lift but I have a hard time getting comfortable in the weight room. So while I realize this won't have he same impact as a heavy lift it is certainly better than nothing.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Love both!
    My gym stopped BodyCombat before summer and I am still upset over it (although not enough to pay an additional £5 to go elsewhere every week :( )
    BodyPump always makes me feel amazing, and the DOMS the next day are even better! :D I love our instructor as he only does the new releases for a week, then asks if we want a remix of odler tracks- we all say 'yes!' as the newer ones are never as good! Currently our squat track is a beat to the tune of 'Somebody Told Me - The Killers'

(I miss the track Ballroom Blitz on BodyCombat too!)
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    canarysal wrote: »
    Big fan of both , instructor quality has big bearing. Have built up good circle of friends at classes. Technique more important than weight in pump. Love combat, real stress reliever. Not so keen on attack, aerobics on speed .....

I could have quoted this! heh - ditto
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to do BodyCombat at the YMCA 1-2x a week. There is definitely differences in the classes based on the instructor. Now, I've got other classes that conflict...but if my schedule allows it, I'm there.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ever see a new-born giraffe walking? That's me in BodyCombat! :smiley: But that's part of it's appeal. It's challenging for me as a grace-challenged person and certainly a good HIIT-type workout.
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier in this thread about thinking body pump was boring. I think what was boring to me was just my mindset, and the fact that I was too scared to hurt myself. I took it again this week after this post and lowered my weights. Duh. I was able to keep my form and do it!
  • rmiller029
    rmiller029 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to Les Mills on Demand and love it. I will mix it up with all their workouts. Not a huge fan of the dance ones like Sh'Bam. For Bodypump I use my bowflex dumbells. I can generally go heavier on the squats that way since not worried about getting the bar over my head.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm in BodyPump 2-3x a week, with a day break in between. I've taken BodyCombat, but wasn't crazy about the instructor. I've also done CXWORX. But after taking 2 months off of working out during the summer, I wanted to strengthen my core as much as possible before delving back into it.

Everyone is right. I've worked out consistently over the last couple years and wasn't able to lose. Add a 500 calorie deficit and voila 14 lbs lighter after 6 weeks!
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like body pump. I haven't tried combat because I am so uncoordinated that I hate to imagine how if manager to make it through a choreographed class! I feel strong after body pump though Im Sure it's mostly in my head but it's a nice feeling anyway :)