How to start

Im trying to loose weight but i dont know where to start. Im 24 6'0 260 and i find it hard to become focus on my diet. I need to know what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A lot of people tellu g me to do the military diet but that to much for my body. Any help please

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Don't diet........what I mean is don't eat from a list of food someone else has prepared for you. YOU have to lose the weight and YOU will be the one to maintain that weight loss. Learning portion control for a bunch of "diet"
    foods that you may or may not like serves no purpose. After you get to goal, you've figured out portions for food you may not normally eat.

Weight loss is ALWAYS calories in vs. calories out. So figure out a way to eat fewer calories AND foods you love.

Be accountable - measure & log portions. This is eye-opening. Some foods are higher calorie than we thought, some foods aren't as filling as we thought. Your list & my list won't be the same.....that's okay.

Figuring these things out will help you maintain.
  • BOOMbabyBOOMxD
    BOOMbabyBOOMxD Posts: 6 Member
    Welcome to MFP, Anthony! Like TeaBea said, it’s pretty much just calories in versus calories out.

Your body maintains its current weight with a certain amount of calories. If you eat less than that, you lose weight. If you eat more, you gain weight. For weight loss, it doesn’t matter what you eat; you can lose weight eating pizza every single day of the week. You’ll just end up at a normal weight but still at an unhealthy body fat percentage ("skinny fat").

I lost my first 15 lbs. eating tons of fast food. I found out that eating healthy also filled me up and allowed me to eat more, though, so I started watching what I ate as well as how much I ate.

To find out how much you need to eat to lose your weight, either base it on MFP's recommendations or figure out your maintenance and eat less than that.
  • BOOMbabyBOOMxD
    Comment #2:

1. To make sure you’re eating at a caloric deficit, MEASURE your food. Don’t eyeball or guess how many calories you’re consuming!

For example, MFP has one banana listed as 110 g for x calories. But if you buy a banana at the grocer, it’s often a lot more than 110 g! You’ll end up eating more than you think you are if you don’t measure.

Another example is cereal. A real single portion of cereal is TINY. The amount of calories listed for a portion is NOT what people consume because they don’t know how much a single serving is!

2. To control hunger, control your carb intake. People usually find that they are less hungry if they up their proteins and fats! I’d be hungry even after eating fries (large) but full if I had a burger patty with cheese and eggs.

3. Use external sources of motivation when you’re running low on your own reservoir. I browse r/progresspics and r/loseit almost every day on Reddit (online forum). Sometimes it’s hard to keep going, but seeing others’ struggles and successes really help.

• TeaBea
    I'd be full after eating the large fries..............we are all different.

OP - protien, fiber, and fat are filling components. But it's a different combination for everyone.

I don't eliminate carbs.....but manage them instead. I won't be eating bunless burgers at maintenance, so I need to figure out where they fit. It's a long term strategy, not just a weight loss strategy.

For me, a hamburger bun is starchy and fries are starchy. I don't need 2 servings of starchy in the same meal. So I generally have a salad with a sandwich. The fries would be good with a grilled chicken breast.
  • BOOMbabyBOOMxD
    I said control, not eliminate. I don’t think elimination strategies work. But if you’re already restricted on the amount that you can consume, it might be a good idea to change the profile of your meals to control hunger.

Yeah, I can feel full with fries, but I don’t think the fullness lasts for the long. That was my bad in wording. It’s satiety that’s different between fries and a burger patty.

I feel like the mindset that we shouldn’t eat any differently is too extreme. We are eating differently if we’re cutting. Sometimes the fries just aren’t worth it compared to tons of protein. Sometimes the bun isn’t worth it.
  • TeaBea
    edited September 2017
    I said control, not eliminate. I don’t think elimination strategies work. But if you’re already restricted on the amount that you can consume, it might be a good idea to change the profile of your meals to control hunger.

Yeah, I can feel full with fries, but I don’t think the fullness lasts for the long. That was my bad in wording. It’s satiety that’s different between fries and a burger patty.

I feel like the mindset that we shouldn’t eat any differently is too extreme. We are eating differently if we’re cutting. Sometimes the fries just aren’t worth it compared to tons of protein. Sometimes the bun isn’t worth it.

Yes, we are eating "somewhat" differently when losing I agree. But if I'm not cutting calories too low, I can fit in a hamburger with a bun OR fries with protein (I would bake the fries) Mickey D's are just gross anyway.

Re: "tons of protein"......a meal of a hamburger patty, eggs and cheese isn't normal to me. This is night and day different than maintenance. Again, a larger calorie cut may require a different strategy.

I have lost weight & re-gained.....maybe you will find maintenance easy. But a huge % of people gain the weight back. I take an all things in moderation approach. Before and after need to have some things in common for me.

Potatoes have a good deal of fiber. Important nutrient and filling for me.
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    I highly recommend watching this documentary and reading the success stories. It is helped me a lot! https://www.forksoverknives.com/category/success-stories
  • TeaBea
    edited September 2017
    I highly recommend watching this documentary and reading the success stories. It is helped me a lot! https://www.forksoverknives.com/category/success-stories

This isn't a documentary though...........someone with money and an agenda cherry picked the "evidence" that fit what the idea they were selling. Becoming vegan isn't necessary for weight loss.