Cancelling the Gym Membership and turning a bedroom into a Gym room instead? - Advice wanted

Options
13»

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I set up my own gym in my garage and now my basement in my latest house. We have cage, bench (recently reupholstered in suede), 800(ish) lbs in plates, 2 Olympic bars, SSB bar, Olympic DB handles, bands, boxes, chalk bowl and a lifting platform. I started building it in 2009 and have spent approximately $1,000 over the years. I've had a lot of luck getting items over the years the most impressive was 700lbs in plates for $100.

I don't know that I would have bothered if I wasn't competing. It's been great and really convenient and I love having it. At the same time I miss people watching at the gym. Sometimes we'll still go out so I can do that.

I wouldn't set up weights in a room. I'd do it on a reinforced concrete surface with sheets of plywood and rubber matting protecting the floor.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your room might be too small.. i sort of want a home gym but mine would be more like a big tv with room for videos workouts. if i had space i would put a treadmill or a bike.. plus i need a rack for weights.. but i could see myself wanting a gym membership and home gym. why cant we have it all? good luck with your decision.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I think my home gym is so awesome that I should be charging myself a monthly membership.