The good and bad

I've been loving weighing everything. I feel so in control and sometimes i get to eat more than I thought.

But other times I hate it. I made spaghetti carbonora and it was so good. But one small bowl was about 370 calories. And I really want double what I just ate lol

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    I feel the same way, sometimes I'm shocked how much I can have! But then sometimes it makes me sad. My 1 serving of store bought croutons weighed out to be THREE.. 3 measly croutons. They weren't super high calorie, but still, I ended up having 2 servings :)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Until I started weighing food, I never understood why I had issues maintaining my weight. But my portions were HUGE. Cereal was my worst culprit. Now I weigh and log what I put in the bowl. Usually it's still way more than what a "serving" is on the box. I just plan for it...

I have, though, gotten used to eating a "portion" of pasta. Any more, now, and I feel "bloated".

I haven't been able to work pizza in to my diet (really the only food I can't make work), because I want TONS of it. I'd rather eat something that will keep me full.

I have also realized creamy, cheesy sauces just aren't worth it. And it helps that I have a live in BF that's lactose intolerant...more reason to not cook things like that.
  • aletakail
    aletakail Posts: 1 Member
    I have never weighed my food ever... Does this work? Struggling to lose the weight and watching calories on labels but still just a few pounds lost and I have at least 35 lbs to lose to be in the normal range for my height and age. I feel so stressed out about this because I've tried everything except the weighing of my food.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    aletakail wrote: »
    I have never weighed my food ever... Does this work? Struggling to lose the weight and watching calories on labels but still just a few pounds lost and I have at least 35 lbs to lose to be in the normal range for my height and age. I feel so stressed out about this because I've tried everything except the weighing of my food.

You absolutely can lose without weighing, but I think many people's experience is that weighing really does help. Scales aren't all that expensive (I got mine off Amazon for maybe $15-20) and you don't have to use it forever for for everything if it drives you bonkers, but if you're having a hard time getting the weight off, I would strongly recommend you weigh everything for at least a couple of weeks and see what happens. And don't stress! You lose weight when you eat less than you burn. If you're not losing, you need to eat less or burn more. The first is usually easier to manage, or a combo of the two. You can do it!
  • AHolt1213
    AHolt1213 Posts: 3 Member
    How and why is weighing food different than measuring? I use measuring cups all the time. I weighing better? How?
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    I've been loving weighing everything. I feel so in control and sometimes i get to eat more than I thought.

But other times I hate it. I made spaghetti carbonora and it was so good. But one small bowl was about 370 calories. And I really want double what I just ate lol

370 cals is a snack, not a meal!

I agree! Lol. But unfortunately at 4'11 my calorie intake to lose weight is really low.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AHolt1213 wrote: »
    How and why is weighing food different than measuring? I use measuring cups all the time. I weighing better? How?

Weighing is much more accurate than measuring cups. You're removing a lot of potential errors.
  • jennydelgado09
    aletakail wrote: »

I've just started weighing. Never done it before, i didn't want that kind of relationship with food. But i do actually like it. It gives me control over food and more accuracy. I'm in my first week in so whether it works or not, i don't know. Hopefully it does.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I use spaghetti that has 1/2 the calories of regular and I still can't imagine eating only 370 calories worth. I'd skip my next meal just to have a decent portion, I think.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017

Think about measuring vs. weighing something like walnuts. You can fit very different amounts in a measuring cup depending on whether and how finely you've chopped the nuts, but weighing removes that problem.

ETA: And to be honest, I think it saves time too, since you don't have to fiddle around with whether you've leveled your cup or not, which can be a PITA depending on what you're measuring.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I use spaghetti that has 1/2 the calories of regular and I still can't imagine eating only 370 calories worth. I'd skip my next meal just to have a decent portion, I think.

I have 100g of spaghetti, just looked and that itself comes to 351 cals :laugh:
  • jennydelgado09

Eating a smaller portion now let's me have a big dinner.

I could have a had a bit more but at the time I had my baby getting fussy so I just got a quick bowl. And left the rest for my bf.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Weighing is much more accurate than measuring cups. You're removing a lot of potential errors.

For example: The back of the uncooked oatmeal say 1/2 cup or 40 grams. I've found that 1/2 cup of oatmeal weighs a lot more than 40grams.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Think about measuring vs. weighing something like walnuts. You can fit very different amounts in a measuring cup depending on whether and how finely you've chopped the nuts, but weighing removes that problem.

ETA: And to be honest, I think it saves time too, since you don't have to fiddle around with whether you've leveled your cup or not, which can be a PITA depending on what you're measuring.

Also less dishes.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member

370 cals is a snack, not a meal!

It's a meal when you've only got 1360 calories to play with!

Nah. I'm at similar cals. I just leave the majority of them for dinner. 700cals for the main dish and 150 for desert. Breakfast is 250. Lunch is around 300. There you go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

I'd have had 100 grams of broccoli with it.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member

I have 100g of spaghetti, just looked and that itself comes to 351 cals :laugh:

Yep, 100g for me. I love pasta!