New- So sore

Options
So I started walking about 10 days ago. Trying to get in a mile a day. Then Monday I started my new fitness challenge at my new gym. I had a post workout shake and drink lots of water (160oz/day) and used the foam roller after workout. I'm so sore today and can barely sit. (We did a ton of lunges and squats). I'm due for my 2nd class today. I won't skip it! So how do I get my muscles to cooperate and maybe feel a little less sore?

Replies

• guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Time....the next work should help some. IME, my first new workout after a while always results in several days of discomfort, then I'm ok for future workouts of the same type...if that makes sense.

You could also try Epsom salt baths, but that never did anything for me.
  • Lizzinc
    Lizzinc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Time....the next work should help some. IME, my first new workout after a while always results in several days of discomfort, then I'm ok for future workouts of the same type...if that makes sense.

I'm just afraid that we'll do the same type of workout tonight and my muscles will hurt too much to let me push as much as I need to! I'm already the biggest person there by probably 60lbs. I don't want to be the whimpiest too! Lol
  • caseyanne2
    caseyanne2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. Went from being mildly active (walking/jogging) to a daily bootcamp that alternates muscle groups each day, so that you could work out every day. Between the workouts and muscle soreness, the muscle soreness is what almost made me quit. It is just going to take some time (for me it was months before I started feeling better, but then again I'm in my late 40's). Advil, water, protein and movement were most important for me. I did take Glutamine every day, I honestly don't know if it helped or not - I was just still so sore every day. Leg days will do it every time. Hopefully your program will focus on different muscle groups each day so that your aching muscles have time to recover.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Personally.... I may be wrong here, but I would not go back until the soreness is significantly better. I feel like your muscles need to repair themselves before being put back to that much work. But that's just me...
  • Lizzinc
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Lizzinc wrote: »

I'm just afraid that we'll do the same type of workout tonight and my muscles will hurt too much to let me push as much as I need to! I'm already the biggest person there by probably 60lbs. I don't want to be the whimpiest too! Lol

The first couple weeks should focus on learning proper form and techniques. Don't worry about 'pushing hard' right now. First learn how to do the workouts safely.

Also, be weary of the post workout shakes they sell. Many are over priced and really not necessary. Shakes can be helpful to meet your protein needs and can be useful after very intense exercise (you are not there yet). Keep in mind a small glass of chocolate milk can be just as good.

Good luck.

Luckily, my gym provides the shakes afterwards at no extra cost to me.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    if youre just starting out, doing the routine again will improve the soreness, i promise.
    unless youve injured yourself.
  • Lizzinc
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    if youre just starting out, doing the routine again will improve the soreness, i promise.
    unless youve injured yourself.

No injury.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing too much too soon. There is no benefit to that. Personally i would leave the class after 15-20 minutes the first week. No, you don't "need to" push yourself hard the first week. It takes a long, long time to get in shape, so respect your body's feedback and ramp up slower. :+1:
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Moving usually helps with soreness. You may want to take it easy on yourself starting out but even if you go when really sore, it's amazing how the soreness kinda goes away as your muscles warm up during the workout. To fight off muscle fatigue, I do Casein protein at night, right before bed. It is a slow digesting protein that will help repair your muscles as you sleep.
  • Lizzinc
    Options
    I went and busted my tail the full hour. It really did feel better after foam rolling and getting a few minutes of really moving in. It was hard, really hard. But I feel great now! We'll so how I feel tomorrow! Lol