30DS Question?

Options
Any Idea how I should gauge the hand weight size to start this with?

Should I base it on the weight that I can do another certain exercise with like a dumbell press or pec fly or bicep curl?

Replies

• Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strong, and used a 2 pound weight today on my first try at it, and that was sufficient! I think any more and my arms would be jello. Lots of reps at a time, so heavy weights would be just painful! Good luck!
  • gingermelv
    Options
    Depends if you want to bulk up or tone up. Heavier weights will bulk you up whereas lighter weight with more reps will help you to tone and lose weight. Good luck!
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use 5lb weights and the only time I thought it was to much was when I was doing the side lunge with arm raises.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I did the entire 30 days with a set of 5 pounders. I was wishing at first that I owned a set of 3 lbs (which is what I believe the ladies in the video are using), but I didn't, so I just went with it. In a few days, I was able to do everything with the 5's (only exception was the squats with v-ups in level 2) and was glad I hadn't wasted money on a set of lighter weights!
  • tiggerfan
    Options
    I use 2.5kg hand weights,
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use 5lb weights and the only time I thought it was to much was when I was doing the side lunge with arm raises.

OOH! I finally got to the point I could do that with 5 lbs ... how about the squats with the v-ups for shoulders?? I never did manage to get through all of those unmodified dangit!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

same with me..
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    im not completely sure how to choose, but I use 5 lbs and they a bit difficult for the first few days of each level and then it becomes really easy toward the end so I would assume that is a good fit for me then. Maybe try a weight that is easy to lift a few times but gets difficult at about 8 or ten reps. Good luck
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding sexist... Do guys do this workout too?

Sorry, if I do sound that way, just noticed that only females have responded...
  • mamathrash2
    mamathrash2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Same with me. My husband (who is a fitness teacher) told me it is better to do those without the weights in my hand and do a deeper lunge then exhaust my arms and not be able to finish. That helped a lot!!
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I try to get my fiance to do it with me but he always quits about halfway through! Makes me feel tougher than him:laugh:
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i used 3# and 5# weights, depending on the exercise... i think 5# with the v-raises in level 2 would kill me, but even 5# seemed light for flys.

there are guys who do this... in the support group i have right now, a guy finished several days ago and had some fabulous results! it's not just a girl thing! :-)
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    I started out with 6 lb weights, and it killed me. I had to modify the Level 1 exercises to use just one weight with both hands. Finally, I just bought a set of 3-pounders, which seems to be a good fit for me personally. I don't think you could modify the Level 2 & 3 exercises to use a single weight...
  • rococo11
    rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For level one I do 15 lbs for chest flys, rows, and bicep curls/lunges and 7 lbs for everything else. I recommend using 2 different size weights if you find some exercises significantly easier than others.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Yes guys do it!! My hubby tried it out with me he said it was good.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Yes but majority are women lol.. I figured our suggestions would be too light for you haha.. use what you can handle.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    i did level 3 for the first time yesterday (day 20). its tough, especially if your old, beat up and out of shape like I am /was. i have noticed more definition in my legs, shoulders, arms and even the faintest beginnings of abs (but i still have fat to lose to realize that.) When I am done with the 30 days, i will start it again and do level 1 one day, 2 the next 3 the next then back to lvl 1. I also use 5lb weights.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My bf tries to be supportive and do it with me but never makes it through .... I say do it and show the rest of the men how it's done!
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    oh yeah, I use 5 lb weights for most of it. but I use 15lbs or even 20lbs for some of them. I have a torn rotator cuff, so I may not be a good judge of what to use.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options

My opinion: It definitely is geared towards women, but remember - she did how many seasons of Biggest Loser, and had results with women AND men. And a killer workout is a killer workout regardless, right? I'd say give it a shot and see what you think of it!