Tired of chasing all the "quick weight loss programs" the insanity stops here!

Options
Deborah271
Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
edited September 2017 in Getting Started
Good morning everyone, my name is Deborah and i started fitnesspal again four days ago, my starting weight was 231 pounds, not good for someone who's only 5'2. I vowed that I will not chase anymore quick weight loss programs like paleo, low carb, soup diets, intermediate fasting, ect, ect. I'm in this for the long haul, i will track my food everyday and move my body for 30 minutes 5 days a week to start. I'm so tired of giving up foods that i enjoy, i believe that this is a big reason by I've been binge eating so bad, no more, the insanity stops for me. Hope to have others like me join on, i'm looking at taking ten pounds at a time, have a great day everyone.

Replies

• aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! you can add me if you like
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I have started 3 weeks ago for the same reason. Tired of starvation diets or fad diets. Lets motivate each other. Please add me as your friend.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A strength and conditioning coach told me one time that just about any program will work, the key is finding something that you can stick with. I can't stick with something like sugar free, paleo, etc. as it's just too restricting and makes you feel like a failure if you venture off at all. Sounds like you're on the right track.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Good choice!
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of fad diets out there and I've tried some of them which didn't work. For me, it's putting in the hard work of exercising and eating a balanced healthy diet. It takes hard work but it can be done. I have fought very hard for the 70 lbs I've lost and it hasn't been easy. But if you are willing to put in the hard work, you will succeed! Blessings!
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the way to go, its more sustainable and helps lead to healthier eating habits longterm. I'd rather count calories than have a diet that restricts the things I like to eat. It does work but accuracy and honest logging are key. Good luck.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to remove the word diet from your vocab. It almost always links to an "end" of the diet and a return to unhealthy or less healthy choices. Change your life. Even if only small things at first. A year or two down the road and the best health and fitness will not be an option, it will be your normal.
  • SaskDad
    SaskDad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its a true battle sometimes. Be confident and tell yourself you are worth doing this for. Pleaze feel free to add me if you like! Have a wonderful day!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm 98 days into maintaining a new way for me to look at food. I am not dieting. I am trying very hard to maintain a 500 calories/day deficit and far and away most days I've done that. The scale shows it. Yes, I have days like yesterday when I eat with reckless abandon -- the scale shows that, too. But those days are now rare exceptions rather than a daily occurrence and with each occurrence I learn more about what triggers them in me.

What I now eat is my "new normal." What has changed is portions and the mix of what I eat. Nothing is "off-limits" but everything must be measured and counted. This means hot cheddar biscuits have become a very rare treat because they are so calorie dense. I can make them for us but when I do I need to make sure the rest of the day's items are less calorie dense so I can still meet my target.

I still eat cheese and pasta and bread and butter ... just not as much or as often. I weigh potato chips. I weigh the heavy cream and cheese I put in my scrambled eggs. I try not to fool myself. This morning the cheese weighed 30 grams so I dutifully logged 1.1 ounces of cheese instead of just one (28 ounces).

Arguably, the way I have always been eating is not normal. I ate too much which resulted in my weighing too much. I am now eating less but still more than maintenance for my goal. Eventually, I will be eating "at maintenance" for a person with a healthy BMI. That is normal eating not a "diet."