Not using a scale

Options
So I'm tracking my calories and I exercise 5-6x a week (Zumba, spin and walking plus afternoon walks with the family). The scale stresses me out so I got rid of it and want to focus on eating healthier and exercising in hopes the weight will come off. How many other people don't use a scale and is a scale vital to me losing weight?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only scale that is vital to losing weight is a kitchen scale to weigh your food. As long as you keep photos of your appearance from time to time and pay attention to the fit of your clothes to know if you're gaining or losing, you'll do alright.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale. I can't get an accurate weight because I'm on crutches and can't balance well enough. I go by how my clothes fit.
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale either! There are so many non-scale victories too I think it's too easy to become fixated by that number. I have a past of disordered eating and starving myself with self loathing thoughts so the scale just never really helped me. It just made me much more obsessed. As long as you are moving your body, eating clean and in a caloric deficit you will get where you want to get eventually. I just keep an eye on my progress and pay attention to how I look and feel in the mirror.

Part of me thinks it would be nice to have some check ins once and a while though just for my own reference.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did when I was actively losing but just once a week and it was really just to ensure my TDEE was correct and my logging was on.

But really unless you want to know your weight there is no reason to use it.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    My scale gives me different weights every time I step on it, it's irritating. So it's not vital to your weight loss, if you wanna weigh yourself, great. If you don't, great! Just measure yourself like inches or just take pictures that'll tell you whether or not you're losing weight!
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My scale gives me different weights every time I step on it, it's irritating. So it's not vital to your weight loss, if you wanna weigh yourself, great. If you don't, great! Just measure yourself like inches or just take pictures that'll tell you whether or not you're losing weight!

When are you weighing yourself? Your weight fluctuates throughout the day as you eat, drink water, and use the restroom. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning before you eat or drink anything.

I weigh myself now, but for a long time I never weighed myself. I definitely did lose weight since I went down a shirt size and noticed when I would need to use another hole in my belt. If it stresses you out too much, don't feel pressured to use it!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @asonrody I weigh myself every morning after I wake up and use the restroom. I mean when I say I get a different weigh every time, as in I step on the scale and it says 136 then I step on it again right after and it says 138.8, then I step on it again and it says 137.2.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How would you know if what youre doing is correct if you don't weigh?
    Imagine the estimates you got for your TDEE or exercise burns are wrong. Would you rather wait to figure this when your clothes start fitting diffrently? What if you are gaining?
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @asonrody I weigh myself every morning after I wake up and use the restroom. I mean when I say I get a different weigh every time, as in I step on the scale and it says 136 then I step on it again right after and it says 138.8, then I step on it again and it says 137.2.

Sounds like it could be a faulty scale, then.