How do you learn proper form for Deadlift and Squat?

Options
Title says most of it. I'm interested in starting something similar to starting strength or stronglifts.

Any advice for learning form? I've watched videos but am still quite hesitant on things like rows/deadlifts.

I should also add for some strange reason my gym has squat racks (L.A. Ftiness), but no deadlifting platforms. I was told I can just stick mats together and deadlift by staff though.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    If you want to learn proper, safe, deadlifting firm I'd run the Starting Strength program over the Stronglifts program. Starting Strength has YouTube videos, accompanying "textbooks", an app, coaching certificates with practicing certified strength coaches in its methods and a methodology from an actual coach and not some marketing guy.

Wherever you can deadlift do it there, or consider getting a new gym if possible. Then post video and we will take a look at it. Video yourself is an important coaching tool because it gives you instant feedback.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ask one of the trainers at LA Fitness to help you with your form.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Buy Starting Strength book, best investment for learning.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I agree on the Starting Strength book. I have a copy, and each exercise is covered in great detail. He literally spends something like 40-60 pages on each exercise.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greg Nuckols has some pretty awesome articles on the squat, bench and deadlift (the programming article is also worth the read tbh).

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/guides/
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if there are trainers around, have one show you the basic movements.
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Watch some vids on YouTube by Allen Thrall of Untamed Strength, he breaks them down extremely well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength...
  • moab63
    moab63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some of the best info anywhere here.
    http://www.exrx.net/index.html
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was really nervous before I ever lifted weights. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and I bought the book "starting strength" and then I just went in there and tried it out. None of the gyms I've been to had a "deadlift platform" I don't even know what that is. I just took a spare bar and put it in a somewhat open area in front of a mirror.
  • carsonelder_1
    carsonelder_1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had very little coaching in the beginning and by the time I got a coach, what I had learned from Starting Strength and YouTube, (specifically Alan Thrall, Omar Isuf and CanditoTrainingHQ,) had given me a base with which my coach was satisfied, (meaning not too many bad habits to retrain.) The most important thing, I found, was to recognize that while all the barbell movements have some basics that are universal, each person's body is different and it is therefore important to be constantly evaluating your own form, making adjustments and learning new things. I started out with StrongLifts 5x5, (which, if I'm not mistaken, is developed based on the principles in Starting Strength,) because the program allows you to start with the absolute minimum amount of weight so that you can work on your form with a reduced risk of injury compared to just hoisting up what looks right. (You can do the same with SS, but the volume in SL is a bit higher and I felt that helped build form better.) Every time I lifted, I would focus on a new cue for each lift, (i.e. squeeze your glutes HERE, break at the knees for THIS lift, straighten your knees HERE, etc.) by working on one or two cues here and there I was able to build an effective squat, deadlift and overhead press. Eventually cues fade from being something you have to think about to something you just do intuitively and you can begin to analyze other parts of the lifts.

It's important to remember that any bad habits you develope now will set you back in the future. If you can't teach yourself to squeeze your traps when you deadlift, for example, you might be fine until you go for that new PR and notice that you look like Quasimodo and have to drop your weight by 40% to retrain your Central Nervous System. Start light and focus on form. If you're new to lifting you WILL see gains - they're called beginner gains - from the simple fact that you're doing the movements. No need to load up the bar and develop a bad habit, or worse, hurt yourself.

In summary, I'd say analyze your form constantly, (video works well,) seek to constantly learn new cues and focus on making them intuitive and do a program where you can start with the bare minimums. You might feel like a goober for squatting with such a light weight for so long, but your future self will thank you for taking the time to train your CNS to do this stuff right.

In terms of deadlifting, mats should be fine. Don't slam your weights, muscle and CNS "memory" are developed throughout the whole movement; if you can pick it up but can't put it down, decrease the weight a little and focus on the whole movement. Putting the weight down should be the exact opposite of lifting it up and constantly engraining the movement pattern will benefit you in the long run. (It should also be added that if you drop the weight you're robbing yourself of sick forearm/grip gains.