Very confused about calories, sugar, etc.

Options
I just recently joined my fitness pal and I am confused on how to keep within my range of 1200 calories and the amount i should have for sugar, fiber, carbs etc. I am having a hard time getting 1200 calories a day let alone staying in range of everything else. Can anyone tell me how i can get my calories and keep the sugar, carbs and protein within the range i am supposed to have? Thanks for any comments. I am low in calories and over on the sugar and protein.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, don't worry about the sugar. As far as protein goes, if you are exercising, then you actually need the extra protein.
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary.. you can see I will go over in the protein dept every day as well as the sugar.. You should be able to eat 1200 calories of healthy food very easily. Just have three meals of about 400 calories!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot of fruit, your sugar is going to be high. Being over in your protein is not bad at all. MFP actually sets a low number for protein and high for carbs. You can change this by doing custom goals instead of guided.
  • dddttt
    dddttt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes with time :) If I were you I'd take it easy and first try to get used to getting 1200 kcal by taking healthier food choices. Who knows - maybe the other numbers will follow naturally? If not, you can work on that from then. Take it easy, and stick with it! :)
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of salads and vegetables with onions and olive oil and spices. Drink the eight glasses of water! One you are truly eating 8 servings of veggies and fruit a day, you'll see how it goes. I've eliminated bread, pasta and rice for now. Really calcium-laden yogurt, too. Not too worried about sugar numbers eight now. I try to focus on healthy eating. For pasta I eat shirataki (tofu). Just try to be in the slightly over range.