Calling all moms..... how to you fit exercise into a crazy schedule?

Options
ChrisKom
ChrisKom Posts: 25 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So this may be a little long but I'm in a bit of a jam. I had a baby 11 months ago and I was able to work out when I was home with him but I have recently gone back to work and can't find the time to work out. I work out on the weekends but know I need to do it during the week.
So my daily schedule right now is:
Wake up at 5:15 am. Get me and my son ready and fed and out the door by 6:45 am. Drop him off at daycare and get to work for 8 am. Work all day get done at 4 pm. Pick him up from daycare get home at 5 pm... cook supper and play with my son before his bath and bed at 8 pm. Then clean house, laundry, pack lunches and prep dinner for the next night and pack all of our stuff for the next day. Then I usually fall into bed exhausted at 10. I'm not really sure where I fit a workout in. I don't want to sacrifice any time with my son because he is somewhere else all day. I am married but my husband works long hours and we have a small farm so there are a ton of chores that he does each night. If it is a nice night we try to fit in a walk before bath time but with all the schedule changing for my son he can be a bit of a mess at night and won't ride in the stroller or pack on my back. I know that lots of you are moms. How do you do it all?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was a single mom the first 10 years of my sons life with no days off. I only got workouts in with home dvds. There are some good ones out there. 30min a night after my son went to bed was the only way I could do it.

Edited to add - It does get easier as they get older. My son is in 7th grade now and can stay home while I go work out. He also has a step dad now who helps me make time for self care.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I get up early and exercise first thing. However I get up at 5.20 to to get enough time - you would have to get up even earlier, unless you could find a way to speed up your getting ready in the morning?

As above, there are good workout DVDs like Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. If you only have 30 minutes you have to go hard and get the most out of it.

Good luck!
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take a walk on my lunch break sometimes. I get an hour for lunch and rarely use all of it eating.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I workout while she plays in the park. It's hard i know
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You are already really busy and burning a heap of calories with your lifestyle, working, keeping your house, raising a young child. A structured workout time is probably going to be very hard to achieve.

I found it impossible to fit in regular structured workouts as a full time working mother before my kids started school. You will get your time back eventually, and structured workouts will become possible again. But later, when your child is a little older.

Apart from eating at a reasonable deficit, I used to sneak in extra movement whenever I could. 50 air squats whenever you go to the bathroom? Pushups against the kitchen bench while waiting for the water to boil? 10 minutes of kettlebell exercises straight after he is in bed, and before you start the housework? 10 minute walk in your lunch break at work? Bust out 2 sit-ups while he is playing on the floor. Turn the radio on and dance. Make your play with your son an active time....tires him out and benefits you.

Don't give up precious time with him now and burn yourself out trying to cram more into your already full day. I found I wanted to lose weight at the time, but in hindsight, I will never get those very few pre-school years back and they go so fast. Overweight but as active as I could possibly be WAS the best version of myself for my kids at that time.

I agree with Firefly0606 . My children are done with school already, but I also do everything myself and being support for my husband and son who is competing in a very big cycling competition at the end of the year. Pack lunches for both of them, because my son got so thin and skinny of the training that he was sick for almost 2 months. And working full time.My watch tell me to move every hour, then up and down the stairs once. Counting all the stairs every hour makes a difference. Sneak in some little exercises during the day, makes you burn lots of calories. Wall push-ups etc. in the bathroom also maybe twice or so a day.

Also make a work out by playing with him. Use him as a weight for example. He gets heavier and in the same breath your weights is getting heavier.

And it gets better as the children get older.

Good luck
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Is there any wiggle room in what you describe as 'playing with your son' until bedtime in terms of type of play? Can the physical activity level of 'playing' be upped in some way from whatever it is now?
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This was always my issue.. couldn't do it in the morning because my son would wake up as soon as I laced up my sneakers, the evenings were family time, and by the time everyone was asleep I was so darn tired that I'd just pass out. The only me time I have is an hour lunch so I joined a gym that's 5 min away (I can leave work a little early so I get a full hour at the gym), then just eat at my desk after. I've been doing this for 2 years and it's working out great! I do come back to work a sweaty mess most times but no one cares lol!!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but it does seem like the only available time would be your lunch break. I would like to point out that exercise isn't detrimental to weight loss. Tightening up your food logging would do the trick all the same.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    My son is autistic and therefore would never really follow the leader, but to get him accustomed to the idea of physical exercise I did find things like 'flying squats' (hold him securely by the waist in a standard squat, then when I stand up, launch him into the air. Not so much of that these days, but then he's 7 and only about 18" shorter than I am. And heavier than when I first started) or 'airplane' (lie on your back, balance child on one or both feet with legs bent, straighten legs) when he was pre-walking. I also really like @Firefly0606 's and @nelja 's suggestions of squats and press-ups when you're just waiting, or stairs once an hour.

But in general it sounds like your life is pretty full-on. Try looking at your life as a whole (does the house have to be cleaned every day? Are there ways you can minimise the amount of food prep you need to do? Just as examples...) and don't try squeezing more in than you can. If the only thing you can do is 10 jumping jacks when you get out of bed (maybe waking your son up with a crazy dancy song? 3 minutes of that would get your heart rate moving) that's something.

What's your goal? Do you want to lose weight? Build muscle? Get more movement into your day? See if there's anything your employer can do to help you achieve whatever your fitness goal is (it's in their best interest as much as it is in yours). And if, for the time being, you don't get a workout in: that's okay. You're doing so much. You're doing amazing.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4.30am to exercise. Or workout during lunch break
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That sounds hard. When my son was that age I don't think I could have fit it in. I was nursing him and every morning just took FOREVER. I had to get up so early just to get me and the kids out the door. Now my son is almost 2 and It isn't as time consuming. I get up at 4:50 to go to the gym.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    0515-0645 is a very long time. I would look there-- meal Prep breakfasts for the both of you, have clothes/bags/work gear packed and ready. 1 hour and 30 minutes for 2 people to get ready in the morning -- work on streamlining that.
    Also, you could help your Hubby with the chores in the afternoons. I worked on a small farm once and it was very labor intensive. I'm sure you could get a good workout there.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am to go to a crossfit class at 5am. Evenings don't work because of the mom life. Got 3-9,7, and 4 month old.

You could try working out during your play time with them. Use him as a weight, kids love that. My 9 and 7 year old still love to jump on my back so I can squat them lol. Or hold in front of you, squat and thrust him in the air. Bet he would love that. If he's running you can pay tag and chase him. Little things like that.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You are already really busy and burning a heap of calories with your lifestyle, working, keeping your house, raising a young child. A structured workout time is probably going to be very hard to achieve.

I found it impossible to fit in regular structured workouts as a full time working mother before my kids started school. You will get your time back eventually, and structured workouts will become possible again. But later, when your child is a little older.

Apart from eating at a reasonable deficit, I used to sneak in extra movement whenever I could. 50 air squats whenever you go to the bathroom? Pushups against the kitchen bench while waiting for the water to boil? 10 minutes of kettlebell exercises straight after he is in bed, and before you start the housework? 10 minute walk in your lunch break at work? Bust out 2 sit-ups while he is playing on the floor. Turn the radio on and dance. Make your play with your son an active time....tires him out and benefits you.

Don't give up precious time with him now and burn yourself out trying to cram more into your already full day. I found I wanted to lose weight at the time, but in hindsight, I will never get those very few pre-school years back and they go so fast. Overweight but as active as I could possibly be WAS the best version of myself for my kids at that time.

So agree with this. If you eat at a reasonable deficit you will lose. It seems to me that you are already moving a ton and that is beneficial!! You got this girl!!!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Take 15 minutes before bed or before dinner and exercise. I have a 9 month old I normally do mine right before bed!
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My work out is when my kid is asleep. usually just weights at the minute, a half hour a night is enough to make a difference over a few months. Good luck!!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a single, workout outside the home mom to 3 kids. Some things you have to remember...your house doesn't have to be "clean" all the time. Clothes can sit in laundry baskets for the kids to pick through and find an outfit. Kids watching their mom/dad workout is a healthy trait to show them. Cook a big meal every other or 3rd night and eat leftovers which will provide some extra time for a 30 minute exercise dvd. Crockpot meals are fantastic! And lastly, for me, I decided to get paper plates to minimize the clean up after dinner.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I wake up earlier.
    3:45 coffee on a timer is waiting when I wake
    3:50 bacon goes in the oven. drink coffee watch news.
    4:10 am make eggs, bacon, oats or grits with toast for my family.
    4:30 more coffee
    4:45 am I am on a city bus, and arrive at the gym at 5 am

train for 1 hour.
    back on a city bus by 6:15 and home by 6:30 to see my son off to school by 6:45 am

shower prep the rest of my meals for work hair make up and out the door by 7:30 to arrive at work at 8:30 am

It can be done. There is time there. you just have to find it an make the most of it.

I am by no means a morning person but it was the only time that was all mine and took nothing away from my family. this is my thinking and I have 1 child who is now 17 going on 18 and a hubby who works from home.

you can do it.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mom of a 3 year old and 6 week old, after babies are in bed I fit in my workout, or wake early, or during naps. I used to workout with my dd, just put her in her swing. I recommend fitnessblender.com