Getting off the Sugar Train!

Options
Hi! Just started this thread...
I am a long time user of MFP. Started out as an occasional user, and would enter food, here and there. My focus at the time was simply making sure I didn't go over my calorie intake so I could lose weight.

The truth was, I had only scratched the surface, not committing to entering meals regularly. Although I was watching calories, staying around where I should, I wasn't feeling 100%. I was heavy on refined carbs, and felt in the worst shape of my entire life. I could literally eat a container of cookies, bag of chips...you get the picture. Start a food plan, then not be able to stick to it.

One day a parent of children I teach and I started talking about books and she mentioned a book she had found called the Blood Sugar Solution. I began to read it, educated myself about it, and really began to understand why I was stuck on the sugar train. The short explanation, it's a physiological reaction. One triggers the other. (A very short non detailed answer.) Cut out the sugar, reduce the cravings. Eat a balanced diet. Learn how your body reacts to certain foods. One of my biggest awarenesses concerning this that the MFP showed me an apple, banana could put me close to my sugar intake for the day (included a few added sugars found in other food..yam for example).

Today I found myself at a point where I have been off the Sugar Train! Now, instead of denying ony food plan to lose, I have found that balance in my personal nutrition and health needs where I am exercising and adding extra protein etc to fine tune and maximize being the best me I can be.

I am writing this because I would like to encourage and support those who feel they can't do this or reach their goal. You can! Really utilize MFP, it's been a great tool!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nice post. It is a process of finding what works, and I agree - stick with it. I had a rough go of it in the first year, mainly because of some big losses all-in-a-row in my life, and my past many years of poor food choices. Working through those issues as well as losing the weight in a healthy way took some time

I have to stay on a mid-range carbohydrate plan, as I don't moderate sugars and things like bread, pretzels, chips, cereal very well. I agree with you that more fat and sufficient protein along with some exercise helped me with food cravings and with moods.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love how you put that cmriverside, you nailed it. Really finding what works for you. I understand. Thanks for posting that.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree about sugar! I've always had a sweet tooth, and it took a lot of patience and forethought to get off sugar.

I actually eliminated sugar not for weight management, but because I have a lot of joint pain which so far the doctors have been unable to diagnose. I started an elimination diet (no gluten, beef, sugar [save Stevia and agave], dairy, eggs, soy, and a smattering of other items), and it helped the pain to some degree. But the amazing thing was that I was eating more calories but losing weight! It is basically calories in vs. calories burned, but this made me look at food in a different way.

That works for me, as now I know I'm intolerant to certain things. And the bonus is that my husband who always has to have dessert has turned to fruit! We both feel better without the added sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated sugar but I find that I simply can't eat much of it and still have a balanced diet and maintain a healthy weight.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mightyminerva... exactly! Thanks for sharing!!! Well said! One of my favorite things you put was your acknowledgement of patience and forethought...!! So true!!!