Low carbers - what do you eat for your "on the go" breakfast?

Options
So, I've decided to try cutting carbs. I've realized I don't find them satisfying or satiating and since I'm aiming for 1200-1400 calories, there's not a lot of wiggle room. So, I'm trying to cut down to a moderate carb amount of 50-100 per day (from around 150-200). I basically am thinking I'll get all my carbs from fruit/veg/dairy and try to stay away from grains like oats, rice, and pasta which never seemed to fill me up anyway

Anyway, I don't have a ton of extra time in the morning, and was typically used to 1 of 3 things for breakfast:
1 - a Clif bar (250 cals - 42 carbs)
2 - a packet of quaker protein oatmeal (240 cals - 40 carbs)
3 - a fat free chobani yogurt (flavored) and a 1/2 cup of cereal (varies, but somewhere around 250 cals and 40 carbs)

Today I had the chobani yogurt and changed out the cereal for 1 oz of cashews for 280 cals and 27 carbs, but I still feel like I can do better. The yogurt has a ton of sugar. I'm thinking of hard boiling some eggs for on-the-go, but I honestly kind of hate hardboiled eggs, I love them scrambled or sunny side up but don't really have the time.

What do you guys do for your on-the-go low-ish carb breakfast? I'm looking for something I can throw into my bag, though I do have a fridge and microwave at work. Aiming for under 300 cals

Thanks!

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I practice IF along with eating low carb, so I don't eat breakfast. But I feed hubby Jimmy Dean Breakfast Scrambles...I think they have two grams or so of carbs and take two minutes in the microwave. Egg muffins are another low carb option...he pairs those with a cup of yogurt.
  • KiwiVenture
    KiwiVenture Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually make a smoothie - 2 scoops of Orgain protein powder, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 1cup of frozen strawberries (or insert any fruit you like - i tend to stick around the low glycemic fruits, ie no bananas) 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk and like 11 ice cubes! Blend and drink :) The whole thing is about 35 cals and 305 calories. I sometimes add plain greek yogurt to make it smoother (a smoother smoothie lol) and that makes it about 85 calories more but adds protein, I usually get Dannon Oikos Triple Zero plain yogurt in the quart.
  • KiwiVenture
    KiwiVenture Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    *35 carbs
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you have a Kroger chain store in your area, they have a brand called Carbmaster that has yogurts that are 7 calories and either 4g or 5g of carbs per serving. I eat them daily. The Carbmaster milk products are also tasty, though expensive.

I do a protein shake with coffee in the morning.

Half serving of protein powder (i'm cheap and the milk gives me extra protein)
    1 cup cold brew coffee (I make my own with a french press)
    1 cup Carbmaster original (plain) milk
    20 drops of stevia vanilla
    walden farms syrup (caramel or chocolate)
    126 calories and 6g of carbs.

For second breakfast (3 hours laterish), currently, I'm having a breakfast sausage link and a tangerine, 100 calories and 14g of carbs.

I find spreading out my food is better for me so I always know when the next snack is coming and helps with my blood sugar (i'm diabetic).

I'm full of ideas! I happy to answer questions if you have them.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try Oikos triple zero yogurt. It has 10g of protein and no sugar for 8 net carbs.
    Lower carb bars like Atkins, Quest, or Pure Protein.
    I also like the Premier Protein shakes - they're very filling and only 5 carbs with 30g of protein.

Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars or Think Thin bars have much lower carbs and higher protein than cliff bars.
    You can make a smoothie with milk, chocolate protein powder and peanut butter. I add a banana, but that does add carbs.
    Also, if you want eggs, you can make egg muffins which freeze well and can be re-heated in the microwave. Use a dozen eggs and add protein, veggies and cheese of choice. Pour them into a muffin tin and bake. I wrap mine individually in wax paper and store in a zip lock bag in the freezer.
    You can also try quinoa with cinnamon and nuts in place of your oatmeal. Still has carbs, but a better protein:carb ratio.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Pure Protein bars or Think Thin bars have much lower carbs and higher protein than cliff bars.
    You can make a smoothie with milk, chocolate protein powder and peanut butter. I add a banana, but that does add carbs.
    Also, if you want eggs, you can make egg muffins which freeze well and can be re-heated in the microwave. Use a dozen eggs and add protein, veggies and cheese of choice. Pour them into a muffin tin and bake. I wrap mine individually in wax paper and store in a zip lock bag in the freezer.
    You can also try quinoa with cinnamon and nuts in place of your oatmeal. Still has carbs, but a better protein:carb ratio.

Thanks for the tips! I am actually trying to get away from bars and stuff, but we do have Think Thin bars at my office, so in a pinch I have an option. I'm comfortable with fruit carbs, but want to stay away from grains. I might try quinoa! My BF and I were talking about some ideas for healthier dinners (we have a lot of chicken pasta dishes) and he was telling me how much he loves quinoa so I bought it on a recent grocery trip. I've never really tried it. Can I cook it quickly or do I need to prep batches before?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I make coffee and then add butter and/or HWC and/or protein powder. I have a glass blender that can take the heat, so coffee gets ground and brewed automatically on a timer while I'm in the shower and all I have to do is mix it in the blender. It takes less than 1 min. of time in the morning.

Yesterday it was protein powder and butter. This morning, it was just butter. Part of the decision is based on thinking ahead as to what else I plan to consume during the remainder of the day. If I know I'm going to be low on protein, I'll add protein powder. Right now, I have some butter in the fridge that I need to use up soon so all coffee gets butter added. I need protein to preserve and build body tissue while eating at a deficit and fat (HWC or butter) to fuel activity. I aim for zero carb, so all of the above options keep me pretty close to goal.
  • Anon2018
    Options
    I make coffee and then add butter and/or HWC and/or protein powder. I have a glass blender that can take the heat, so coffee gets ground and brewed automatically on a timer while I'm in the shower and all I have to do is mix it in the blender. It takes less than 1 min. of time in the morning.

Yesterday it was protein powder and butter. This morning, it was just butter. Part of the decision is based on thinking ahead as to what else I plan to consume during the remainder of the day. If I know I'm going to be low on protein, I'll add protein powder. Right now, I have some butter in the fridge that I need to use up soon so all coffee gets butter added. I need protein to preserve and build body tissue while eating at a deficit and fat (HWC or butter) to fuel activity. I aim for zero carb, so all of the above options keep me pretty close to goal.

Wow! Regular butter? what does that taste like in coffee?

I always drink black coffee (strongly prefer it to cream and sugar) in the morning and drink a TON of water throughout the day so neither of these things are issues for me. Zero carbs is extreme! Do you get your veggies in?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »

I always drink black coffee (strongly prefer it to cream and sugar) in the morning and drink a TON of water throughout the day so neither of these things are issues for me. Zero carbs is extreme! Do you get your veggies in?

Regular butter tastes creamy when blended, just not quite as creamy as HWC. In fact, 3 Tb. of butter in 30 oz. of coffee is about 1/2 to 1/3 as creamy as 1 Tb. of HWC.

No, I do not eat veggies. I get plenty of nutrients from meat and from supplements. Blood tests have never been better (except I don't have much for comparison prior to age 9, so possibly they were better when I was very young), so I'm clearly getting plenty of what I need.
  • Anon2018
    Options

Regular butter tastes creamy when blended, just not quite as creamy as HWC. In fact, 3 Tb. of butter in 30 oz. of coffee is about 1/2 to 1/3 as creamy as 1 Tb. of HWC.

No, I do not eat veggies. I get plenty of nutrients from meat and from supplements. Blood tests have never been better (except I don't have much for comparison prior to age 9, so possibly they were better when I was very young), so I'm clearly getting plenty of what I need.

Good for you! I don't think this plan would work for me (actually, I know it won't), but glad to hear you're having success with no carb
  • Anon2018
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am trying to stay away from bars and supplements for the most part (not a hardcore clean eater, just, again they don't tend to satisfy me as much).

I think I am going to try egg muffins! I bought some italian sausage since it was on sale at the grocery store not really sure what I'd do with it. I'm thinking for my first batch I'm going to do eggs, italian sausage, sun dried tomato, and ricotta. Yum!

Let me know if you guys have any other go-tos or ideas. Especially real-food based.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do for your on-the-go low-ish carb breakfast? I'm looking for something I can throw into my bag, though I do have a fridge and microwave at work. Aiming for under 300 cals

I don't do on the go breakfasts. I have an omelet or nothing, mostly.

BUT, there are lots of ideas. Working with what you do already, plain yogurt with nuts or nut butter is an idea. A couple of hard boiled eggs with some raw veg. Egg muffins can be prepared in advance and recipes are all over: https://www.ruled.me/jalapeno-popper-egg-cups/
  • shorayna
    shorayna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I purchased GNC Lean Shake 25 and have it each day for breakfast. When I get tired I will have an egg white omelette with peppers, onions and bacon.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I eat chicken when I'm in a rush. I usually eat it with an apple, but you could do it with celery sticks or another veggie if you need something else for volume.

You can also pre-make low carb burritos - use a Flat Out or a low carb tortilla and fill with 1 egg1/egg whites, 1 sausage, spinach, salsa and cheese. Choose the right items and it could be under 300 cals!
  • stefanstuart170
    Options
    100g of almonds, nutritious, filling and very low carb (I am a ketogenic)
  • stephengullage
    stephengullage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spinach and zucchini frittata. Find the recipe online at eggs.ca and the whole recipe only has 684 Cal and 24g net carbs. I put the mix in large muffin pan and make 8. Two for breakfast is a good start to the day, 171 Cal and 6g net carbs, 14g protein. For a bit of extra taste you can add bacon or ham. No extra carbs and the extra calories/protein depends on how much you add.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink my morning calories. I use heavy whipping cream and chocolate protein powder in my coffee. >4 carbs